Home Sports Talk
Options

SteveK, Do You Want Pedro Martinez On The Phillies?

JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
Hi SteveK,

My apologies for calling you out like this, but when I read on ESPN that Pedro Martinez' agent is negotiating with the Phillies, I thought to myself, "I wonder what SteveK would think about this move."

Obviously, Pedro has had a great career, but at 37, I wonder how much he could help the Phillies. But then again, even at 37, Pedro is nine (9) years younger than Moyer, who is 46. So who knows.

/s/ JackWESQ

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi SteveK,

My apologies for calling you out like this, but when I read on ESPN that Pedro Martinez' agent is negotiating with the Phillies, I thought to myself, "I wonder what SteveK would think about this move."

Obviously, Pedro has had a great career, but at 37, I wonder how much he could help the Phillies. But then again, even at 37, Pedro is nine (9) years younger than Moyer, who is 46. So who knows.

/s/ JackWESQ >>

I like any player who can help my team win...not sure if Pedro has anything left or not but this I do know...I like the fact that the Phillies are trying to improve the ballclub for the pennant race with an eye on another World Series championship.

I feel sorry for fans whose team trades their star or good players because not only are they out of the race for this season, they're basically out of it for seasons to come unless they figure they get lucky with some "miracle" players in their minor league system or sign some sort of "Roy Hobbs" type veteran who is suddenly going to wakeup and produce more than he ever has...both very unlikely scenarios.

I can feel the pain of those fans because I've been there when the Phillies did that either because of giving up or not having the money to keep a star player...which even though the Phillies are competitive now with salaries and I don't need to be concerned about that any longer...I still strongly and adamantly believe there should be a salary cap in MLB.

But I guess your basic insinuation here is the "personal issues" with Pedro - I'll answer that with this...Ty Cobb is one of my favorite players...not a hero, sorry but I don't look at any, not any MLB player as a hero for anything they do on the field...a guy such as Clemente who died trying to do what he did for poverty stricken people...that to me is a heroic effort...but I like Ty Cobb for the way he played the game, and for me, I separate what a player does on the field and off the field with some exceptions such as Michael Vick.

Nobody's perfect, and everyone has done things they regret, and the c*fighting incident with Pedro is repugnant to me...but that being said, if he can still pitch and help the Phillies win, then I say let's do it. image
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    .I still strongly and adamantly believe there should be a salary cap in MLB.

There is a cap, it is whatever the highest payroll is.

Payroll in and of itself does not guarantee anything.

Look at the 09 Marlins.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>.I still strongly and adamantly believe there should be a salary cap in MLB.

There is a cap, it is whatever the highest payroll is.

Payroll in and of itself does not guarantee anything.

Look at the 09 Marlins.

Steve >>

Steve - you actually make my point with your post...the Phillies have the resources to go out and get some relief pitchers, sign some new players, and take a shot spending some extra money...the Marlins can't or won't do that because of limited, very limited or no extra monies to spend. In my view, that is unfair even though this situation benefits the Phillies.

MLB needs a salary cap - thanks for making my point.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Really Steve? At this juncture they can go out and sign players and trade for relief pitchers?

Not sure what point you claim I made for you, I'm thinking you just made mine.

Steve
    Good for you.