Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Just think about this...Please

I am not trying to be a mother hen, but please guys in light of this economy, the desperate measures people will take, and the value of your collections..spend a little money and insure it..

How would you feel if you had it stolen, I don't understand how you can spend 10's of thousands on cards yet not spend a few hundred to protect yourselves.

It sickens me to see what happened to moondog..I can't tell you how I would feel if anyone else had that happen...

I care for all of you and it would just kill me if something happened.

Yours,

Felicia

The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set

Comments

• Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    what happened?

I know I keep putting off getting my stuff insured. Hopefully I smarten up soon than later

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    good advice. image

a provision in your Homeowners' Policy will usually cover valuables including sports collectibles to protect you from damage or theft......individually document and photograph the truly important stuff, that helps too.

but it also helps to have:

a) big mean dog (got it)

b) nosy neighbors (got 'em)

c) a kid who has no frikkin clue about the value of Dad's collection (got one)

• Options

<< <i>but it also helps to have:

a) big mean dog (got it)

c) a kid who has no frikkin clue about the value of Dad's collection (got one) >>

Same here accept I have 2 big mean dogs and 2 little mean dogs along with a son that prefers wrestling cards over baseball.
  • Options

i'm having visions of your son wrestling with all of the dogs.
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Anyone use a safety deposit box at the bank to store their cards? In light of what happened to Mintmoondog, I am thinking about taking my collection to the bank to put into a safety deposit box. Can anyone provide information as to how big these safety deposit boxes are? How much do they cost annually? Do all Major bank branches have safety deposit boxes at their locations. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image

i'm having visions of your son wrestling with all of the dogs. >>

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    Matt, jsut get a large fireproof gun cabinet. They provide plenty of room for cards and it would take 3 or 4 very large individuals to steal it if it was full of cards and other valuables.
  • Options
    ......and he can also visit his collection on Sunday. image
  • Options
    revmoranrevmoran Posts: 398 ✭✭
    I switched insurance companies on my homeowners to Chubb because my broker said they offer the best coverage for my collection - which has a separate listing on the policy. A separate listing on the policy is a good idea no matter which company you choose.
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    You can get smaller safe deposit boxes that might hold 50-60 slabbed cards for about $50 a year, up to ones that would hold probably 300 slabbed cards for $150 - $200 a year. I have one and visit it probably weekly, and it gives me great peace of mind knowing that any of my more valuable cards are sleeping safely there.

Now, if you have framed pieces on your walls, there's not much you can do about that, but it makes sense to protect your little slabs!
  • Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone use a safety deposit box at the bank to store their cards? In light of what happened to Mintmoondog, I am thinking about taking my collection to the bank to put into a safety deposit box. Can anyone provide information as to how big these safety deposit boxes are? How much do they cost annually? Do all Major bank branches have safety deposit boxes at their locations. Thanks in advance. >>

I do.

I have a 12" x 12" x 24" box and it costs me about $115 annually. All of my most valuable stuff is in there. You have to call the branch to see what their capabilities are. Some only have smaller boxes.

I also have a collectibles policy for anything that might happen to be at home. I think I pay about $130 for $30k of coverage.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    My homeowner's insurance company say they cover my collection. I have a hunch it would be a battle, if they ever got stolen, in terms of proving what I had and proving value but I will deal with that if it ever happens. I have a list of valuable cards and photos of some (not very many though). My feeling on purchasing specialty insurance is it is probably pretty expensive in relation to what my collection is actually worth and what the odds are of my cards getting stolen. Put another way, I will take the risk (self insure) for whatever my homeowner's doesn't cover. It's like the personal articles floater for my Rolex. Ok, well that turned out to be worth it because my Rolex was stolen but when I got my new watch I did not insure it. I would rather self insure small risks like that. I think people over insure things they are emotionally attached to (wedding rings, baseball cards, etc...). If the item is stolen money doens't "replace" it ever. To me I can afford to lose a few thousand dollar watch but I can't afford to be sued for a few million dollars so would rather pay for more liability insurance.
  • Options

<< <i>I switched insurance companies on my homeowners to Chubb because my broker said they offer the best coverage for my collection - which has a separate listing on the policy. A separate listing on the policy is a good idea no matter which company you choose. >>

not to mention taking photographs of your most valuable cards.

You might also want to consider a personal articles policy if you have any extremely high value cards.
  • Options

<< <i>My feeling on purchasing specialty insurance is it is probably pretty expensive in relation to what my collection is actually worth and what the odds are of my cards getting stolen. >>

We have a personal articles policy that covers approx. $20,000 of listed value and it is roughly $175 per year.
  • Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    Agree, valuable cards should be potographed, and to take it a step further, once a year take a video recording of all contents in your house and put a copy in a safe place outside your home. anything happens, you have the video to show entire contents of household, including what's on the wall, furniture, electrinics, glassware, and those bobbles mommy has.
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Felicia gives very sound advice. I won't reveal publicly what measures I take to protect my own collection (and the rest of my domain) - seriously - but everyone needs to engage in a combination of security, insurance, storage, and common sense.

And if you live in Texas, the Castle Doctrine helps ya out too.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    For those who don't know what happened to MintMoondog: Linky
  • Options
    We have a personal articles policy that covers approx. $20,000 of listed value and it is roughly $175 per year.

That's cheaper than I thought it would be.

I agree with treetop... do a video of your household contents and keep the video somewhere else. I have a friend who works as an insurance adjuster and he told me there is much less discussion, when a claim is made, when there is a video of the contents.
  • Options
    TrevmoTrevmo Posts: 201 ✭✭
    It is a good idea to have insurance, fire proof box, safety deposit box....etc. I live overseas and I don't have the luxury of having most of the security I could have in the states. I think everyone should take some type of precautionary method to protect their collection. After all, it's got to be worth 'something' to you if you payed all that money for it, right?

What if something ever happened to your safety deposit box at the bank? Is the box insured? That is something i need to find out before i get back to the states.

---------------------------------------

Buying Ozzie Smith PSA 10's and 1949 Bowman PSA 5's
    Collecting Ozzie Smith PSA 10's, 1949 Bowman PSA 5's, and 1949 Bowman PCL'S in any grade!
  • Options

<< <i>For those who don't know what happened to MintMoondog: Linky >>

God that sucks. I stopped keeping anything really valuable at home for that reason. If someone breaks in now, they can steal all the 80's junk they want!
  • Options
    onebamafanonebamafan Posts: 1,318 ✭✭

<< <i>Anyone use a safety deposit box at the bank to store their cards? In light of what happened to Mintmoondog, I am thinking about taking my collection to the bank to put into a safety deposit box. Can anyone provide information as to how big these safety deposit boxes are? How much do they cost annually? Do all Major bank branches have safety deposit boxes at their locations. Thanks in advance. >>

Roughly $25 a year at my Bank (actually holds a lot of graded cards). And yes it is a good feeling knowing your most valuable and prized cards are safe. ")
  • Options
    lbcoach20lbcoach20 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
    Ok, this is a great topic and very important if you collect cards and memorabilia. My expensive reside in a lock box which runs me $63 per year. I can store about 150-200 slabs. My jerseys and bats are on my homeowners which runs me .75 per $100 valuation. I don't mind because if something were to happen I'd atleast get my $ back. And my brother came up with the great idea for the cards in the lockbox. We scanned and cropped each card and emailed them to Wal-Mart and Walgreens to make prints. They are almost the exact size and once put in an album you can look at your cards whenever you want knowing the real ones are in a safe place. Works great for me.
  • Options
    thanks loads Felicia. now my mind has been doing somersaults over pros and cons......i think i may be paying a brief visit to the bank today. image
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Some info on safety deposit boxes. Just spoke with my bank (Wachovia), and they offer a couple different deposit box options. For $85.00 annually (which you can whittle down to $50 if you allow them to autp draft, etc.) I can get a 5H x 10W x 20D box. For $140.00 ($105.00 with the autodraft etc.) I can get a 10 x 10 x 21 box. With my bank being .5 miles from where I live, the 10H x 10W x 20D box seems like a small expense for the piece of mind.
  • Options
    thedutymonthedutymon Posts: 4,323
    Good Day,
    Great advice....And just in case anybody wrong is reading this...I won't go into everything except to mention one thing.

1. I have an incredibly ansy dog who doesn't like anybody at our house.
    2. I OWN and like to USE Guns
    3. I pay $300 a year for 3 of the biggest Safety Deposit Boxes offered at our local Bank
    4. I OWN Guns and like to USE them
    5. I have very nosy neighbors
    6. I live at the end of the Dirt road, the last house, at the top of the hill, my backyard is 10,000 acres of BLM. Things can disappear there never to be found image
    7. I OWN guns and Like to USE them...Oh did I mention that !!! My bad !!image
    8. I OWN guns and like to USE them.....................................

Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    please Neil. don't be vague.
  • Options

<< <i>Some info on safety deposit boxes. Just spoke with my bank (Wachovia), and they offer a couple different deposit box options. For $85.00 annually (which you can whittle down to $50 if you allow them to autp draft, etc.) I can get a 5H x 10W x 20D box. For $140.00 ($105.00 with the autodraft etc.) I can get a 10 x 10 x 21 box. With my bank being .5 miles from where I live, the 10H x 10W x 20D box seems like a small expense for the piece of mind. >>

Yeah I lied haha. Now that you say it mine is likely the 10x10x21 box, not 12x12 as I said earlier. And I fit a hell of a lot of stuff in there.
  • Options
    ga5150ga5150 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭
    I'd like to point out that the safe deposit boxes differ in prices a bit. The same size boxes can obviously be different prices at different banks, but also your geographic location can make it different also. I had a box when I lived in Atlanta, and it was around $50 a year. When I moved to Baltimore, the same sized box was quite a bit more. Currently, I don't have to pay anything for my safe deposit box. Because I have my checking, savings, etc; all at the same bank, they offer a safe deposit box at no cost. I'd like to have a bigger one, but I'll take their free offer without hesitation.

Rodney
  • Options

<< <i>Good Day,
    Great advice....And just in case anybody wrong is reading this...

Neil >>

hehehe... Lets just say I live in Texas and it's considered a legal right to shoot intruders here =)
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A large gun safe is a good option. Your cards are nearby and easily accessible yet virtually inaccessible to thieves. Even if they can carry a 800lb safe out of the house, good luck breaking through the lock without damaging the contents.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was a fellow collector friend from acrossed the street who had his entire collection stolen.

Lucky for him the idiot tried to sell it to a dealer in a nearby town - a sting of sorts was set up and the guy is busted!

I agree and:

1. I have an alarm system which is linked and the police will be called.

2. Insurance - I'm in the process of upgrading it.

3. In my case, because they only have minutes before police arrive - a safe will take care of some of the good stuff.

4. Safe deposit box - I don't have one - but will consider it for some of the more valuable cards of which I'm not a big holder - it's just not what I like to collect.

I wish everyone the best in safeguarding the stuff which we're so emotionally attached to - even the Emmitt Smith stuff. image

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Just don't be an idiot like me - - I've had a pretty decent sized safe for my valuables since college -somewhere along the line, I got lazy and stopped cranking the dial after each time I opened it, just turning back to the last number of the combo and opening the door. After doing this for too long, of course the combination has slipped my mind, and whatever I had it written down on is long gone too.

Long story short - my 20 month old son discovered the safe a couple of months back and decided to crank the hell out of the dial, and now my last number trick no longer works. I have no idea how to get into this thing, which has 50 or so of my favorite cards - Mantles, Mattinglys, my HOF RCs, a few K in cash, a bunch of silver bars, important papers and documents, etc. etc.

This ranks right up there with some of the dumber things I've ever done, but at least it's all safe and not going any where I guess... If anyone knows a good safe cracker in the Buffalo area, feel free to pm me..image
  • Options
    CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    For insurance purposes, how well would the set registery be for proving ownership if your cards were either stolen or damaged in a house fire?
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • Options
    thedutymonthedutymon Posts: 4,323

<< <i>

<< <i>Good Day,

Neil >>

hehehe... Lets just say I live in Texas and it's considered a legal right to shoot intruders here =) >>

Good Afternoon,

Here in the Rural Rocky Mountains of Colorado it is considered an Obligation to shoot intruders. But then any law abiding Coloradoan wouldn't be just wandering in your house in the Country. Doesn't happen too often though....................Or at least that you hear about and maybe then just that one time, don't think they get the chance to repeat the offense!!image

Truth be told, where we live, I worry more about the 4 legged critters than the two legged. I've had to kill two nuisance/threatening Bears in my Back yard in the last 4 years.

Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    Having all the guns in the world in your home while you away, won't do you any good in protecting your collectables from burgaries. Most thefts take place while your away.

I thought about a gun type safe, but I have twin 14 year old daughters. Would hate to see an intruder grab on and hold a gun to there head and "say open the safe". I would in a heartbeat, but would be hard for me to forgive myself for putting them through that type of trauma.
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    I thought about a gun type safe, but I have twin 14 year old daughters. Would hate to see an intruder grab on and hold a gun to there head and "say open the safe". I would in a heartbeat, but would be hard for me to forgive myself for putting them through that type of trauma.

Man, I thought I was a worry wart. Your odds of getting struck by lightening are substantially higher among other highly unlikely events. Knock on wood.
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Good Day,
    Great advice....And just in case anybody wrong is reading this...I won't go into everything except to mention one thing.

1. I have an incredibly ansy dog who doesn't like anybody at our house.
    3. I pay $300 a year for 3 of the biggest Safety Deposit Boxes offered at our local Bank
    5. I have very nosy neighbors
    6. I live at the end of the Dirt road, the last house, at the top of the hill, my backyard is 10,000 acres of BLM. Things can disappear there never to be found image

Neil >>

Neil, I think you about went into everything seeing as you mentioned EIGHT things. LOL.

• Options
    leftofdialleftofdial Posts: 442 ✭✭
    I suppose that all insurance compainies differ, but mine (State Farm) has a $2500 limit on collectibles and that includes cards, comics, and I don't even know what else. So make sure that you investigate the available optional polieies (riders?) that are offered. Overall , it seems like homeowners insurance is a good deal - especially compared to car insurance!
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Good Day,

Neil >>

hehehe... Lets just say I live in Texas and it's considered a legal right to shoot intruders here =) >>

Professer John Richard Lott Jr.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Leftofdial- I also have State Farm and read similar information a few years ago. The bottom line is that most homeowners policies will not cover your losses if you have a high end collection. I actually thought State Farm didn't cover above $1,000 under basic homeowners. You have to get the special "Personal Articles" policy and you submit a list of your cards with values. The policy is priced based on the values that you submit. Someone earlier mentioned $175 for a $20,000 collection and that sounded high to me. I think we pay around $50 every 6 months for a 20k or 25k policy. If any of you took out a special policy for your wife's wedding ring or artwork, its that same type of policy that works best for the cards. The sad part is that money probably can't replace the better, rarer cards in your collection or the sentimental cards you've kept since you were a kid.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>but it also helps to have:

a) big mean dog (got it)

c) a kid who has no frikkin clue about the value of Dad's collection (got one) >>

Same here accept I have 2 big mean dogs and 2 little mean dogs along with a son that prefers wrestling cards over baseball. >>

Bill,
    You have other issues to attend to in regards to the wrestling cards. How can you possibly give us crap for collecting hockey cards? image Atleast get him into the UFC cards.
  • Options

<< <i>Someone earlier mentioned $175 for a $20,000 collection and that sounded high to me. >>

IPolicy charges will vary based on the area you live in. I live in Houston, so just like Car Insurance and Homeowners I'm paying on the very high end of the spectrum. I'm not suprised at all that someone else would be paying half of what I am.

• Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭

<< <i>I am not trying to be a mother hen, but please guys in light of this economy, the desperate measures people will take, and the value of your collections..spend a little money and insure it..

How would you feel if you had it stolen, I don't understand how you can spend 10's of thousands on cards yet not spend a few hundred to protect yourselves.

It sickens me to see what happened to moondog..I can't tell you how I would feel if anyone else had that happen...

I care for all of you and it would just kill me if something happened.

Yours,

Felicia >>

I wonder how people feel about having their investment money stolen???
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    Got (2) 150+ Lbs. St. Bernards and a dummy safe that is not hidden full of cheaper 80's 90's graded stuff. If they get by the dog's to get my safe and then crack it open they will just have a great collections of junk wax image
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    I was thinking most card collections would take a bank vault, not a box to hold them. Am I the only one here with 400,000+ cards? How do you ensure even the best 5,000 or so? I am more afraid of fire and bugs than theft, but now you got me thinking. It would take months to go through and take picts of all the memorbilia stuff , rock and roll goodies, concert tickets, autographs, WWII aces, etc. But now you guys got me thinking...
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday, Felicia image
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    Oh the memories...

• Options
    misty water colored, they were.
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just don't be an idiot like me - - I've had a pretty decent sized safe for my valuables since college -somewhere along the line, I got lazy and stopped cranking the dial after each time I opened it, just turning back to the last number of the combo and opening the door. After doing this for too long, of course the combination has slipped my mind, and whatever I had it written down on is long gone too.

Long story short - my 20 month old son discovered the safe a couple of months back and decided to crank the hell out of the dial, and now my last number trick no longer works. I have no idea how to get into this thing, which has 50 or so of my favorite cards - Mantles, Mattinglys, my HOF RCs, a few K in cash, a bunch of silver bars, important papers and documents, etc. etc.

This ranks right up there with some of the dumber things I've ever done, but at least it's all safe and not going any where I guess... If anyone knows a good safe cracker in the Buffalo area, feel free to pm me..image >>

Wonder if he ever got his safe open?
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **