Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

NGC cross grading to PCGS

I've often wondered about how close the cross grading from a NGC grade to a PCGS grade. I have seen many cross grades come out exact in the forum, but on average how well does NGC compare to PCGS grades. I've also read that ICG graded coins come in pretty close to a PCGS grade. Any thoughts from previous cross graders? image
Earlycoin

My E-Bay Stuff

Comments

• Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    On average, I'd guess no more than 2/3 cross at same grade or higher. If you're talking DCAM's, no more than 10%.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have pretty good results with NGC and anacs. NGC58 might come back 55 or 53. anacs is real close on circ and about 1 point high on MS.

ICG is terrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently had a nice crossover success at the same grade (PR66), but only after giving PCGS the leeway to downgrade by one point. They would not cross on the first attempt at equivalent grade. Other than that, I have had about 50/50 success with MS lincolns, with the nod going to lower profile grades. As MOC points out, the rate is likely different for 63 and below than it is for 65 and above. For instance, I have had an NGC 1914-d cent cross equivalently at MS62BN. Another attempt with an NGC 1944 D/S in MS64RD was also successful. Failing were my attempts with an NGC 1909-s in MS65RD (code 85), an attempt with a PCI 1911-s in MS65RD (code 91), a 1921-s in 65RB (code 85), and a 1926-s in 64RB (code 91). I eventually sold the 1909-s, the 21-s, and the 26-s in their NGC holders. The 1911-s was cracked out, where it spent a year in my Dansco. Later, I resubmitted it and they graded it MS65RB. (I actually made money on that deal.) My most lamentable crossover attempt was with an NGC 1912-s cent in MS66RB, in an old no-line fatty holder. It failed to cross equivalently, and one day, while submitting a bunch of other raw stuff, I cracked that coin and sent it in raw. First, it came back in a bodybag, code 91. Then, it graded flat-out MS64RB. It sat there for a while until I decided to crack it out and use it for my 7070 type coin. I don't care if I never sell that coin.

What nobody seems to be talking about here is the fact that it's all about the coin. PQ NGC coins have a very high success rate. The rest of them I'd say have a very near zero chance, from my observations.
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Depends on the value of the coin. Low end coins high cross over rate, high end coins much lower. I am

referring to same grade cross overs. >>

I would second that. I failed at my only attempt at a PCGS crossover from ANACS. It was a MS68 Roosevelt. Technically, I think ANACS got it right, but PCGS would not stick their neck out to agree. I think those high grade coins, even if they are graded correctly can be a liability to the grading services if they cross 1:1. Lower end coins ie: MS64 and down would probably go even most of the time.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    They cross better when they are broken out of the holders.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    cupronikcupronik Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    In all honesty. . . . . what's the liability?
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I began the gold dollar collection I had intended to cross everything to make it a complete PCGS collection. That thought has slipped away much like the childhood dream of becoming an astronaut.

Crossing coins is a lot like taking your new girlfriend to meet your divorced parents....One likes here...One hates her.

So....I decided to form the set on the NGC side, and the only difference I can see is a lot more competition (39 sets) and the need to resize photos for the registry.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure hate to see you go to the other side!image

It's just not the same!
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh He{{ Im here on this forum....but the set...is over there. I actually registered for their semi comatose chats.....and then requested that my registration be terminated. So, if ya wanna see the set, Obsession Gold Dollars, Number 9 currently (out of 39) but if you want to hear my sterling words and pearls of wisdom...thats only here.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It varies a LOT from series to series. Between a Jefferson nickel collector friend and me, out of about 30 coins we've only gotten one NGC-67 to go into a PCGS-67 holder... and we sent in both coins in the holder and broken out.

On Morgan dollars my same-grade success rate is about 2/3. PLs success rate is about 1/3, and I don't even try sending in DMPLs any more.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    The PCGS Set Registry, compared to the NGC-sponsored Collectors Society, is a lot easier to use. It's got a better layout design, it's more user-friendly, and the process of setting up entries makes sense. Sure, the NGC side offers journals and a few other perks, but their site layout is horribly confusing and a bug-bear to use. To register a coin, you have to put it in a set or start a new one; you can't just add the coin and then put it in sets. By comparison, PCGS lets you register and showcase a coin regardless of whether or not you're trying for a whole set of them. I do like that NGC's Collector's Society allows you to list PCGS coins as well, and I kind of wish that PCGS' Set Registry could return the favor to NGC, as often the coins I'm seeking at shows are few enough in number that I might only find one in an NGC holder, and I'm not particularly tempted to send a $1000 coin through the U.S. Postal Service for a month to have it only possibly taken out of one holder and into another, just so I can brag about having it.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    eCoinquesteCoinquest Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭
    Many of my former ANACS coins were upgraded by PCGS. Of course they were sent in raw. image
  • Options
    MJHMJH Posts: 538 ✭✭

I have had old anacs coins cross straight over and some downgrade from 45 to 40 45 to 35, some upgrade from 63 to 64
    the new anacs yellow holders had 2 cross straight over 40 to 40.

Ngc has been about the same, 45 to 40 , 45 to 35 and some straight accross, but NEVER any upgrades.

IGC I had one cross straight over 63 to 63 and have another one at PCGS now, we will see .

this has been mostly on BUFFALO NICKELS and some MORGAN DOLLARS
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    I have had great luck with the circ key Lincolns....like AU-55 and 58 1955DDO's, 1914-D's and SVDB's.....all high grade circ, all crossed at same grade. I have not crossed a mint state coin yet. One NGC 58 09-SVDB came back as a PCGS 62BR, and yes, that WAS IN THE HOLDER, I have paperwork to verify that.
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    Wow, to go from circulated to uncirculated, crossing over TO PCGS, FROM somebody else, even NGC--that's got to be the ultimate bragging rights. Then again, no; the ultimate bragging rights is to do that with a 1909 S-VDB!
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.