Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Topps Cloth Test Issues

I have been reading about test issues of "cloth" stickers issued by topps in 1988, 1972 and 1970. The 1970 seem to be the rarest of the bunch, but what about the other two sets. I think that the 72's were only found in sheet form, but psa does grade them, so someone has cut them down. I know nothing about the 88's except that there is an actual checklist and there are only a little over 120 cards I think.

Anyone have any of these and do they have any value? I would like to pick up a couple for my personal collection, but I do not know how much I should expect to spend.
Registry Sets:
T222's PSA 1 or better

Comments

• Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    I've picked up a bunch of '88s over the years. They did come in "sheet" form. Cut commons only go for a couple of bucks.
  • Options
    Do you know if Andy Van Slyke was part of the 88 set?

Thank you
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    PSA does not grade the 72's. They used to, but don't any more.

• Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭
    POST /OPINION NO LONGER AVAILABLE
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, Is Leyland the only Pirate? Is he for sale/trade?
  • Options
    POST /OPINION NO LONGER AVAILABLE
  • Options
    Thanks, I apperciate the info, keep me in mind if you run across any Buccos, especially Leyland./Lind
  • Options

<< <i>
    No Van Slyke was not in this set,,,,, and while commons may go for a "few bucks" == thats if they can be found,,,,,, anyone with commons see me I'll pay more than double book for them to complete my set ,,,,,,,,,,,
    >>

I'll find mine and let you know what I have.

I wasn't off base, was I? I thought I had paid about $45 for a lot of 10 or 12 a few months back.
  • Options
    Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    What does a 1972 common sell for? I would like to pick a few up if I can find one.
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had to pay $100 for this team set. I got it from Donato from this board as well.

slantycouch, are you sure that commons only go for a couple of bucks? I think that they are insanely rare.

Here is my team set.

Shane

• Options

<< <i>

slantycouch, are you sure that commons only go for a couple of bucks? >>

I know I didn't pay more than $5/each for the 15 or so I have total. I honestly think I paid $45 with shipping for a lot of either 10 or 12 last year. Might have been $55 though.
  • Options
    onefasttalononefasttalon Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭
    If you collect a certail player/team... then a couple bucks for an '88 Topps Cloth IS A BARGAIN!
    They ARE hard to find! This is the only one I own... can you guess why?

PSA does NOT slab these (anymore)... hence the BGS slab...

I too owe Donato for selling me this card!

ALWAYS Looking for Chris Sabo cards!

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Rarest Topps Cloth set is the 71 test issue. Come on Bob, post a few
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Superstars from '72 are fairly thinly traded, but an Aaron sold recently for about $150, and I paid $75 for my Clemente (in a GAI 3 slab, but cut short). Unless it sold recently, there's a common in an eBay store for a $24 BIN, but a sizable lot of commons sold a couple weeks ago for a significantly lower per-card price (IIRC less than $10 each).

'70 Cloth test stickers are insanely rare - possibly only 1 of each player.

There's also a '76 Cloth test set, consisting of 2 players (Duffy Dyer and Bob Apodaca). These can be found in strips and panels as well as individually, and come with several different varieties of backing. WIth a little work, you can find those for a few dollars each.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. Always amazes me what information is available on these boards.
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    I have never heard of 71 cloth /
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    PSA does grade the 72 Cloth but only if the back is attached, they will not even Auth one without the backing attached. Here is mine-

• Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PSA does grade the 72 Cloth but only if the back is attached, they will not even Auth one without the backing attached. Here is mine-

image >>

More PSA consistency. In 3 attempts to get mine graded, nobody ever told me it needed the backing. They just said "no holder" and rejected it.

Nice card Scott image
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    Someone's selling a bunch of 88 cloth on Ebay
    88 Cloth on Ebay
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    Yeah, saw that this morning. Might get 1 or 2.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    Rod Booker was coach of one of my baseball teams. He still lives right up the street from me. (At least his 28 year old son does, saw him a few days ago).

<< <i>I had to pay $100 for this team set. I got it from Donato from this board as well.

slantycouch, are you sure that commons only go for a couple of bucks? I think that they are insanely rare.

Here is my team set.

image >>

Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    One is the Glavine from that set. I bet that goes for a pretty penny.
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Is there a particular reason why PSA won't grade these Cloth cards? I guess what I am getting at, is that PSA didnt grade Donruss Aqueos test cards either and recently decided to start grading them. I have to believe it had something to do with the recent uptick in interest in the Aqueous cards. Im wondering if we could get them to rethink their stance on not grading these cards.

• Options
    Wow that's a lot of cloths.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    With the 1988 Cloth, it is because they were only issued in sheet form, and any singles you see were cut by collectors/professionals, and not by Topps. Much like the 1984 Topps Nestle issue.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Speaking of test issues....different.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I hear ya Jim, I have sent in my other 72 cloth clemente that has the backing but it is no longer attached 2 times and they refused to grade it, I just dont understand why they will not give it at least an Auth.
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have never heard of 71 cloth / >>

He meant 1970 Cloth. He's probably been at the bottle again. image

imageimage
  • Options
    RobbRobb Posts: 2,034
    At one time the '88 Topps Cloth was the White Whale of my player collection. I was able to land one a couple of years ago and remember smiling from ear to ear for days regardless of what was going on around me- I was so happy. Fast forward to now and this is only the second time I've seen the card of my guy listed. Used the BIN and here I am smilin' again.
    imageRIP
  • Options

<< <i>At one time the '88 Topps Cloth was the White Whale of my player collection. I was able to land one a couple of years ago and remember smiling from ear to ear for days regardless of what was going on around me- I was so happy. Fast forward to now and this is only the second time I've seen the card of my guy listed. Used the BIN and here I am smilin' again. >>

I got my Ted Simmons last year and I was thrilled. To bad the one that's up now has a bad corner.

Robb, who is it you collect?
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    Oil Can Boyd. Judging by the scan, my old one is probably in better shape than the new one as it looks like there is a crease but considering the low distribution and how seldom I come across 'em, I'll take it for $15 shipped.
    imageRIP
  • Options
    Beckett's checklist of this set is waaaaay off. Incomplete names on Team Leaders cards. Partially incorrect names (Terry McGriff/Fred McGriff) and some missing completely. I am working on putting together a checklist by team for team and player collectors.

BTW- these cards were not actually numbered- they don't have a printed back. The numbers are assigned by alphabetical order.
    imageRIP
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DACardworld? Has boxes of 78's. I hear its tough to pull high end cards though from wax due to aging issues.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    Anyone have a 1988 topps cloth Braves leaders card?
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone have a 1988 topps cloth Braves leaders card? >>

on ebay Little pricy though IMO
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    Just a little pricey. For $250 I should be able to buy all of the products made by Topps in 88. Well that close to what the total value of their product line from that year.
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • Options

<< <i>Just a little pricey. For $250 I should be able to buy all of the products made by Topps in 88. Well that close to what the total value of their product line from that year. >>

With some of the prices I see being dropped for cards that are far less rare then 88 cloth, I don't think $250 is that far off.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    Did anyone who purchased from this last lot receive their card(s) with a printing error? The black is way offline on my card. Kinda cool since my other example that I purchased a couple of years ago is normal.
    imageRIP
  • Options
    I rec'd my 3 A.S. cards yesterday. Got in late only long enough to glance at them ( and notice 2 had a wrinkle) while I put them in new holders but didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. I though the black on the George Bell looked kinda faint but again, I only glanced. I'll look again tonite.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    The Glavine looks really nice. No print flaws or wrinkles.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    POST/OPINION NO LONGER AVAILABLE
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Has anyone seen a Maddux in the '88s?
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    Does anyone know the pop report for these cards? Are these really rare? any Info thanks
    1938 Cartledge Boxing cards psa 7 - psa 10
    1951 Topps Red backs psa 8 only!
    1960 Golden Press Presidential set Psa 8 's - Psa 9's
    1961 Golden Press psa 9's
    1976 Topps baseball psa 9 Stars
    1980 Kelloggs baseball Psa 9's - Psa 10's
    1988-1989 Fleer Basketball psa 9's
    1988-1989 Fleer Stickers psa 9's
    1989-1990 Fleer Basketball psa 10's
    1992 Coca-Cola Donruss Nolan Ryan 1-26 Psa 10 only Gpa 9.80++ E-mail Newyork00007@aol.com
  • Options
    PSA wont grade these.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just won this 1972 Topps Cloth Art Shamsky. I have been looking for these for about 5 years. I thought I would have to pay 5 times what I paid for them. This was the first I've seen. Anybody know where I can get a Marty Martinez?

1972 Topps Cloth Shamsky

Shane

• Options
    Nice pickup!

I think they're going cheaper because there's no backing, right? Or am I misunderstanding that issue. I don't know anything about them.
  • Options
    I'm too lazy to do them all, but I figured it would be worth recording some of the sales in this thread. You know someone will come back to it in a year or two and the auctions will be gone from eBay.

eBay sales in July/August 2009

Commons:

117 Mike Trujillo - $6.50
    115 Gary Thurman - $4.99
    113 Mickey Tettleton - 5.79
    110 Jim Sundberg - $5.50
    109 Chris Speier - $4.99
    105 Ted Simmons - $12.99
    104 Steve Shields - $6.25
    106 Doug Sisk - No bids ($4.99 start)
    103 Pat Sheridan - $9.99
    102 Dan Schatzeder - $4.99
    101 Rafael Santana - No bids ($4.99 start)
    98 Len Sakata - $9.99
    96 Ron Roenicke - No bids ($4.99 start)
    95 Rick Rodriguez - No bids ($4.99 start)
    94 Shane Rawley AS - $9.99
    93 Charlie Puleo - $4.99
    92 Dennis Powell - $6.00
    90 Gus Polidor - No bids ($4.99 start)
    89 Eric Plunk - No bids ($4.99 start)

Stars/Minors:
    120 Dave Winfield - No bids ($74.99 start)
    111 Don Sutton - No bids - $24.99 start
    41 Tony Gwynn AS - $74.99
    108 Ozzie Smith AS - $76.29
    23 Roger Clemens AS - $99.99
    21 Jack Clark AS - $14.99
    17 Braves Leaders (Murphy) - $149.99
    14 Wade Boggs AS - $39.99
    72 A's Leaders (McGwire/Canseco) - $349.99
  • Options
    I just packed my 2 up. It's my first sub to BGS.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    POST/OPINION NO LONGER AVAILABLE
  • Options
    Nice Jeff - congrats on the pickups!