Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Can a coin be re-submitted to CAC

tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
If a coin does not get a sticker from CAC, can one try again with the possibility of getting a sticker the second (or third/forth) time? Like PCGS where you can re-submit a coin, it may slab the second time around. Or does CAC have a database of serial numbers and refuse automatically to sticker a coin if it had previously been rejected?
Tom

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    Hmmmmmmmm........................
    I don't see why you can't keep sending them the same coin along with payment, and have them keep returning it without a sticker and keeping the money.
    The question becomes, why would you do that?
    Isn't the defination of insanity doing the exact same thing over and over again expecting different results?

Ray
  • Options

I would think they keep track of the cert numbers. If they do, and do a quick search, they would know its been there before.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was yes to the fact you can resubmit. Sorry. They don't keep a data base out of fear that customers will not want to send coins in if they fear the coins will be black balled or "black beaned" if not green stickered. That's at least what John Albanese said during his CAC grading class on Sunday......MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Whats the point of stickers if the dreck gets a sticker? Why resubmit it? It failed the first time.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That was yes to the fact you can resubmit. Sorry. They don't keep a data base out of fear that customers will not want to send coins in if they fear the coins will be black balled or "black beaned" if not green stickered. That's at least what John Albanese said during his CAC grading class on Sunday......MJ >>

You musta fell asweep during class. They do indeed keep a database of submitted coins, but it is not available to the public.

JA says that if a coin gets resubmitted its given a second look since they can make mistakes and the coin is not automatically rejected.
  • Options
    Do they look at the coins for more than 7 seconds?
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Do they look at the coins for more than 7 seconds? >>

Is that the standard for the other graders?
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Do they look at the coins for more than 7 seconds? >>

Is that the standard for the other graders? >>

I doubt that JA is hamstrung by quotas and piecerate/piecework issues, though I expect that it doesn't take him long to decide.
  • Options
    WalmannWalmann Posts: 2,806
    Next new trend: crack outs to resubmit to the TPGs in order to resubmit to the FPC (Fourth Party Confirmers).
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, I confess I don't understand the point of sending something to CAC in the first place, let alone multiple times.

And you'd be paying each time?

Sorry, just doesn't compute with me.

OK, so maybe I'm gradually coming around to the idea that this little green bean sticker might be nice to have on a coin, just as a little NGC star might be (I've never owned either).

But it'll take me a while to swallow the concept of submitting and then REsubmitting something that has already been graded and so on.

I still say I'll decide for myself what's PQ or nice for the grade or has great eye appeal.

Of course I realize these little stickers and things probably DO have some effect in the marketplace. I'm just not a part of that market.

(... yet. Never say never, I guess.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Sure you can send it in. John already knows that you have sent it in and it might be a waste of money, but worth the try.
    Perfect Transactions-Jamericon, bestclser1, DNADave, CoinAuctionsHelp, cucamongacoin, SeaEagleCoins(2), Walkerguy21D, tigermaroo, stainless, keets, pakasmom(2), ELKevvo, joebb1, bstat1020, Hmann, DRUNNER, BigJohnD
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Of course!

That's why they don't put FAIL stickers.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Insanity is a prerequisite for

membership on the Forum.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Next new trend: crack outs to resubmit to the TPGs in order to resubmit to the FPC (Fourth Party Confirmers). >>

Hmm. Crack out to get a lower grade and a sticker? How likely is that?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Insanity is a prerequisite for

membership on the Forum.image >>

Not true, but it sure helps.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    how about breaking that coin out the holder and getting it re graded then send it into cac then what will you get a lower grade from a tpg and then not getting a green been
    and waisting your time and money twice nuff said
  • Options
    <<how about breaking that coin out the holder and getting it re graded then send it into cac then what will you get a lower grade from a tpg and then not getting a green been
    and waisting your time and money twice nuff said >>

WOW. You make less sense with each and every post.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And then the next buyer who bought the lower grade coin with the CAC sticker now sends it back to PCGS for an up grade and and gets it and loses the CAC stickerimage What fun when you have stimulus money to play withimage
  • Options
    ResRes Posts: 1,086

<< <i>I would think they keep track of the cert numbers. If they do, and do a quick search, they would know its been there before. >>

I guess you'd first have to submit it PCGS for a re-holder then. image
  • Options
    RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

<< <i><<how about breaking that coin out the holder and getting it re graded then send it into cac then what will you get a lower grade from a tpg and then not getting a green been
    and waisting your time and money twice nuff said >>

WOW. You make less sense with each and every post. >>

You two just won't quit, lol.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I don't see why CAC would bother to keep a database of failed submissions. So long as they get paid for each submission, who cares? Since the supposedly have such a database, is the grader told, before grading again, that the coin failed before? Sounds not so good to me.

Did I mention that I am a firm supporter of the CAC program? They seem to do a very nice job weeding out the below average coins, just what they are meant to do. I do find it interesting to see coins bought from some of the big coin companies fail with CAC. That must be why, so many coins these companies sell/auction, do not already have the green beans.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file