Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Went NENing today . . .

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
picked up some halfpennies. The 1771 is out of my date collecting range, but I just love the look of it and couldn't pass it up.

1771 PCGS AU58

1879 NGC MS62 BN

1887 PCGS MS63 RB

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice assortment of COPPER!
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice. I can see why Georgie was tough to pass up. So what's your beginning date for this 1/2d set, anyway? 1860?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Queen Victoria

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Nice set you are building ajaan.
  • Options
    Great finds ajaan. I'm worried that I'm about to get hooked on these marvelous slices of history and examples of craftsmanship.

It's a sad commentary on the priorities in this modern age when you think about how many of them you could
    accumulate, enjoy and pass on for not much more than the price of a Kentucky Fried Chicken family takeout or
    a couple of tickets to some hard rock mosh pit performance.
    No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
    It's just that I got my PCGS grades.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice selections

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭
    Was there a die modification between 1879 and 1887? The reverses of those two coins appear slightly different.
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭
    Was there a die modification between 1879 and 1887? The reverses of those two coins appear slightly different.

Good observation. There were several modifications made in the bronze halfpenny series. These are documented by several sources, but most noteworthy is the book by Freeman.

The 1879 example is Obverse 15, Reverse O. The 1887 piece is Obverse 17, Reverse S (which appeared on halfpennies from 1883 to 1894). You'll notice that the hairline is more "receded" in the 1887 obverse and that the shield on the 1887 reverse has some lines in the St. George's Cross.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.