Home Sports Talk
Options

Ochocinco to 'tweet' during games

Just saw a bit that Chad Johnson is planning on using Twitter live during games on Sunday. I love the idea, but, predictably, old media stalwart ESPN's analysts are firmly against it, saying that somehow it would be bad. No, it wouldn't, it would only be bad for members of the sports media finding another way they're being left behind. First it was newspaper sports guys, soon the TV guys will no longer be needed, so the company line is to call all new media 'bad'.

As more and more athletes embrace these new mediums (twitter, facebook, etc) we will have less and less a need for loudmouth ex jocks to espouse their antiquated and ridiculous commentary. While I doubt this lasts past the preseason into games that count, I love the idea.

What do you all think? Do you honestly think that a wide receiver, who simply has to run routes and isn't in the game calling or planning, would be that distracted? Or is it because its Chad Johnson and he's such a lightning rod for controversy? I don't recall Kevin Love from the T'wolves catching much slack for breaking the news that his coach had been fired via tweet, why is this so bad?

Comments

• Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    12:00 warmed up and showboated for the fans, caught one off the back of the pylon
    1:05 started deep in a hole at our own 5 yard line. ran two post routs and didn't even get a look from Carson
    1:35 down 17-0 caught first pass for minus 2 yards
    3:07 while being held by a LB caught an amazing pass over the middle for 6 yards AND a first down
    3:19 Got knocked on my @#@)* by some punk rookie corner, gave ref a dirty look
    4:09 lost 33-3 caught 2 balls for 4 yards, keyed housh's car on the way out
  • Options

<< <i>12:00 warmed up and showboated for the fans, caught one off the back of the pylon
    1:05 started deep in a hole at our own 5 yard line. ran two post routs and didn't even get a look from Carson
    1:35 down 17-0 caught first pass for minus 2 yards
    3:07 while being held by a LB caught an amazing pass over the middle for 6 yards AND a first down
    3:19 Got knocked on my @#@)* by some punk rookie corner, gave ref a dirty look
    4:09 lost 33-3 caught 2 balls for 4 yards, keyed housh's car on the way out >>

• Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    Part of it is because it is from an egomanic like him and maybe some old school journalism types don't like
    it as well. The coach is rather traditional and I doubt he is going to allow him to do it, once you make an exception then
    everyone is going to want to do it and then that could be a major distraction on the sideline if people are twittering
    away while the coach is trying to get their attention.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chad should cut the BS and concentrate on catching footballs, like when he USED to be a good player.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually how about this for a new nickname?

JokoStinko