Home Sports Talk
Options

The Steve Mcnair that I knew...

You know, I am SO sick of the way athletes are treated.

The Steve Mcnair that I NOW know, was an idiot. He had 4 kids. 4 KIDS... It doesnt MATTER if he wasnt getting along with his wife. He was more concerned about getting laid and buying SUV's for 20 year old immature Hors than worrying about his kids. I cant stand people like this. Great job there Mcnair...

I dont care if you guys disagree with me, this kinda stuff really pisses me off. I have known alot of people through the years that did this same crap.

If you have a child, that is your concern. Period.

Am I speaking Chinese?

Comments

• Options
    ddfamfddfamf Posts: 507 ✭✭
    All I would care to say is that any man who has a wife and four kids should not be spending time in a house with a woman whom his wife does not know.

That situation has "bad news" written all over it!
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Pretty hateful stuff about a guy who was ruthlessly blown away. No one deserves to die like that.

And how do you know he wasn't taking care of his kids? Who are you to judge someone's private life?

Was he out cheating? yes
    Did he make some dumb decisions? yes

But seriously, someone's private life and relationship with their wife isn't anyone's business but theirs and thier families'. McNair's public acts of charity and goodwill are what most people will remember.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    It's ironic.

If he beat his wife, he'd be villified on the spot... but since he only cheated on her, it's all ok.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options

<< <i>You know, I am SO sick of the way athletes are treated.

The Steve Mcnair that I NOW know, was an idiot. He had 4 kids. 4 KIDS... It doesnt MATTER if he wasnt getting along with his wife. He was more concerned about getting laid and buying SUV's for 20 year old immature Hors than worrying about his kids. I cant stand people like this. Great job there Mcnair...

I dont care if you guys disagree with me, this kinda stuff really pisses me off. I have known alot of people through the years that did this same crap.

If you have a child, that is your concern. Period. >>

I agree with you, but I'd also say that Steve could have been taking care of his kids too. For how charitable a guy he was, I couldn't
    see him ever diss his own kids. Perhaps he was married to an unstable woman ??? I don't know.
    Was he living the "wild life" with this 20 year old chick, or was he just living in personal conflict for this moment in his life ???

I don't think getting shot and killed is worth what he did. Perhaps he was going to leave this 20 year old, and that's why she
    killed him ?????????? I don't know.

I think I'm more upset about how the news is covering this child molester named M. Jackson then Steve McNair. I think
    Steve McNair was known as a pretty decent guy, a warrior, and his own coach said that Steve would say he's sorry if he was still here.

However, M. Jackson is a certified wacko, and it's a little sad that so much attention will go into M.J.'s death, but you won't
    hear one story about a soldiers death who is protecting our country.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DaBeef -

Steve McNair was murdered. Now you start throwing stones in a glass house? Very classy, dude.

Anything else you want to 'school' us on? We're all ears.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

<< <i>DaBeef -

Steve McNair was murdered. Now you start throwing stones in a glass house? Very classy, dude.

Anything else you want to 'school' us on? We're all ears.

Dave >>

You obviously missed the entire piont of dabeef's rant. Affairs and divorce have a very bad effect on kids. Perhaps dabeef comes
    from divorced parents, and knows what those kids are going through. If Steve was never fooling around with this chick, then
    all this pain could have been avoided. Dabeef was more concerned with the kids then throwing stones at McNair.

In the end, did Steve's affair bring pain to his children ? Of course it did.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I assumed calling someone an 'idiot', or saying he was 'more concerned about getting laid' was throwing stones. image

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    You know, I am SO sick of the way athletes are treated.

If you have a child, that is your concern. Period.

imageimage
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Pretty hateful stuff about a guy who was ruthlessly blown away. No one deserves to die like that.

And how do you know he wasn't taking care of his kids? Who are you to judge someone's private life?

Was he out cheating? yes

But seriously, someone's private life and relationship with their wife isn't anyone's business but theirs and thier families'. McNair's public acts of charity and goodwill are what most people will remember. >>

'Deserve' has nothing to do with it. Does a guy who's smoked for 30 years 'deserve' to die of lung cancer? How about a guy who's smoked 20 years? 10 years? We've got all kinds of guys on these boards who are going to have serious heart problems in their mid 50's because their diets suck. Do these guys 'deserve' to go through triple bypasses at age 57?

If you're married with four kids you don't run around with 20 year old girls because you're exposing yourself to a range of risky outcomes. This was one of those outcomes-- an incurable STD, or a wife killed by a jealous mistress, are other possible outcomes. None of these must necessarily come to fruition-- just as most smokers don't develop lung cancer-- but they fact is that they CAN, and as a parent it's your job to avoid putting yourself in needlessly risky situations.

I don't care what kind of football player he was. The fact is, the guy was selfish and stupid. And he paid for the selfishness and stupidity with his life, and now his wife and children are going to have to pay for it.
  • Options
    Exactly... I had a great childhood, even though my parents did divorce when I was 15. I have simply seen too many kids affected by parents (Fathers and Mothers), that simply did NOT grow up after having a child, or multiple children. Therefor, I have absolutely NO respect for people like that, even people I had called friends in my past.

Having a child ( I do NOT have kids), is a grace bestowed upon you and your name. Treat it as such...

Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didnt know him personally so I wont comment on the situation other than posting my favorite quote in response to some of the comments in this thread-

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone"

As far as the NFL player I knew, I thought he was overated as a QB, 3/4ths of his career he was questionable to start, I always joked about it to my buddies in my fantasy leagues that he must have not liked to practice.

Terrible tradegy for both of them and their families.
  • Options
    I'm sick of how athletes are treated as well.

McNair is a perfect example. It took his being ruthlessly murdered for it to come out that he helped build homes for families after hurricane katrina, that he spent a great deal of his time and money for charity, and stayed close to home, even after the riches of the NFL came into his life. For all intents and purposes he remained a somewhat humble man who opened doors for guys like McNabb and other black quarterbacks, yet he never called out attention to himself, he just went out, every Sunday, in a lot of cases hurt and injured to a point that would have sidelined most guys. He was a consummate professional, he was universally admired for his work ethic, and everyone who played with him and who knew him recall his being a remarkable human being.

Yes, I'm sick that it took his being murdered for this all to come to light. And I'm sick of preachy types like you DaBeef coming along and essentially saying he got what he deserved.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>that he spent a great deal of his time and money for charity, and stayed close to home, >>

Stayed close to home but not close enough to his family home - the one with the wife and four, count em four kids... I feel terrible for the wife that now has to explain to her kids, then go stand by his graveside in support of a guy who'd rather hang out at some crappy apartment with some busted 20 yr old druggie than at his multi-million dollar home with his wife(the one he made marital vows to) and the four kids he decided to bring into this world... It's going to be a great time for them in school (and growing up without a dad is going to be great!!!) for a couple years, I'm sure...

Crazy to me that people want to show so much love for those who make such stupid choices.

oh yeah - -

<< <i> And I'm sick of preachy types like you DaBeef coming along and essentially saying he got what he deserved. >>

Im sure the CU mods are sick of banning the same trolls over and over and over again...
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<As far as the NFL player I knew, I thought he was overated as a QB, 3/4ths of his career he was questionable to start>>>

Fantasy owners and stat gurus will say he sucked except for the 01-03 stretch, but from a pure football standpoint, if anything, I think McNair was very underrated...he played in an offense that favored the run, and he never had an All-Pro reciever like Montana, Brady, or Manning....the one year he had some better than average recievers (Bennett, Mason, McCareins) he shared the MVP....he was always one of my favorite QBs to watch because he did whatever it took to win, and he made a ton of plays that very few in the league could make.

The first thing I said to my wife when we saw the news was that I hope he didn't die doing something stupid. I won't go so far to say he "deserved" it, but if you put yourself in precarious situations often enough, a negative outcome is likely the result.

There is probably no way will ever know for certain why she killed him, but given the timeline of events, my thinking is her DUI made him come to his senses that he was doing a stupid thing and was going to end the affair with her...
  • Options
    I did NOT say or "mean" he DESERVED to get murdered. Do you work with ESPN's "Sources". You couldnt be MORE wrong...

I'm sad for the kids. He certainly didn't deserve this, but he certainly could have AVOIDED this...

Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    Mcnair was one of my favorite players that never wore a Bucs jersey. Although it sounds like he made some dumb moves, he'll be greatly missed and was a great football player.
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Pretty hateful stuff about a guy who was ruthlessly blown away. No one deserves to die like that.

Was he out cheating? yes

But seriously, someone's private life and relationship with their wife isn't anyone's business but theirs and thier families'. McNair's public acts of charity and goodwill are what most people will remember. >>

'Deserve' has nothing to do with it. Does a guy who's smoked for 30 years 'deserve' to die of lung cancer? How about a guy who's smoked 20 years? 10 years? We've got all kinds of guys on these boards who are going to have serious heart problems in their mid 50's because their diets suck. Do these guys 'deserve' to go through triple bypasses at age 57?

If you're married with four kids you don't run around with 20 year old girls because you're exposing yourself to a range of risky outcomes. This was one of those outcomes-- an incurable STD, or a wife killed by a jealous mistress, are other possible outcomes. None of these must necessarily come to fruition-- just as most smokers don't develop lung cancer-- but they fact is that they CAN, and as a parent it's your job to avoid putting yourself in needlessly risky situations.

I don't care what kind of football player he was. The fact is, the guy was selfish and stupid. And he paid for the selfishness and stupidity with his life, and now his wife and children are going to have to pay for it. >>

I have a very difficult time agreeing (sp?) with you most of the time , but this time you are absolutely correct .

Good job.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    Ahh nevermind. I had a response typed up but you people who are so high and mighty and have never faulted will never admit as such, you're not worth my time. I just hope you people casting stones never get caught for doing as such, for then you, too, will be deserving of your fate as you seem to think McNair was.

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    It seems like being faithful to your wife just isn't factored into modern measures of integrity anymore. image
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options

<< <i>Ahh nevermind. I had a response typed up but you people who are so high and mighty and have never faulted will never admit as such, you're not worth my time. I just hope you people casting stones never get caught for doing as such, for then you, too, will be deserving of your fate as you seem to think McNair was. >>

I have been married for twenty two years. I have never been with another woman. I have children that I love. I would
    NEVER do this foolish act that McNair did. I'm not throwing any stones at McNair. He made his own bed, now he has to sleep in it.

You play with fire, you get burned, and his wife and kids have to suffer. Again, not throwing any stones here, because no way am
    I perfect, but you reap what you sow, and everyone will face the judgement seat, so live your life accordingly.
  • Options
    Exactly..

Mcnair had Mulitiple DUI's, one while carrying a loaded weapon.Dating a 20 yr old waitress, a girl who had a DUI, a girl who owned a gun.. 4 kids, 2 with his current wife..

Now IMAGINE if Randy Moss had this guys record. The guy would have been burned at the cross. For whatever reason McNair was always Mr. perfect with the media it seems?

Its very sad what happened to his wife and kids.
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options

<< <i>Exactly..

a girl who owned a gun. >>

I happen to agree with much you have said in this thread, but not this. It is a sad day in America when owning a gun is considered character flaw.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "...No one deserves to die like that...."

////////////////////////////

Some folks DO "deserve" it, but, I think, prolly not SM.

News says the case gets a preliminary ruling as "murder/suicide."

Bad stuff happens to good folks who make bad choices.

His bad choices got him killed.

I am not worried about his wife/kids; they will be fine.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I have been married for twenty two years. I have never been with another woman. I have children that I love. I would
    NEVER do this foolish act that McNair did. I'm not throwing any stones at McNair. He made his own bed, now he has to sleep in it.

You play with fire, you get burned, and his wife and kids have to suffer. Again, not throwing any stones here, because no way am
    I perfect, but you reap what you sow, and everyone will face the judgement seat, so live your life accordingly.

I agree.
  • Options
    I don't care what kind of football player he was. The fact is, the guy was selfish and stupid. And he paid for the selfishness and stupidity with his life, and now his wife and children are going to have to pay for it."

well said, I agree completely. He didnt deserve to die, but we should not be the least surprised by this, or any athlete with too much money and common sense to make good decisions.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    Strange and surely not deserved. This stuff probably happens day after day but just not at this level.
    Last week a murder suicide one town over and two days ago husband hold wife hostage for hours then burns house down
    two towns over.

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658