Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is there a way to scan multiple cards at one time?

I was wondering if anyone is pretty savvy with the scanner and could help me out. I am looking to list a few hundred cards on eBay and I was wondering if it is possible to scan several cards at a time. I have a Canon Cano scan 60 and can hold 9 cards at a time on the bed. Is there a way to scan all 9 at one time and create a file or individual scan for each of the cards?

Comments

• Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    I know my HP is programmable and I can put cards in each corner and the program will scan all four, cropped properly, and create individual .jpg files for each card. I typically just scan 4 together and use a single file with all four.
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Mine is like OTW's but I didn't figure it out right away. It puts a dotted line around each scan - click accept and it creates a separate jpeg for each outlined scan.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I know my HP is programmable and I can put cards in each corner and the program will scan all four, cropped properly, and create individual .jpg files for each card. I typically just scan 4 together and use a single file with all four. >>

I personally like this option better because you can advertise the other three cards in your auction. Just put a disclaimer that you are bidding on the card described in the title and in the description and that the other cards are up for auction now.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Do you have photoshop?
    There is a command called "crop and straighten"

I scan as many will fit on the scan bed at once, leaving a small space. Leave the lid up.
    Running "crop and straighten" will dupe the file and crop right to the edge of each card, so you have individual scans.

If you know how to create actions in photoshop (basically a script) you can then hit a button each time you want this to happen. I also create actions for 90 and 180 degree rotations and use them as need, as well as a slight bit of sharpening and curve tweek (just add a small touch of contrast, as a general rule you want scans a bit on the flat side and then snap them in photoshop.)

When scanning I leave the scan crop at the full size, and don't bother with a preview. Just keep hitting scan and changing out the cards, until I've got about 20 full scans. I run sharpen on everything that is open, and the contrast curve, both as actions. Then run crop and straighten to all open files, and save.
    If you have Photoshop you also have bridge. It's easier to name the files in bridge by tabbing thru them, rather than running "save as" to rename.
    The goal is to have automatic actions do as much of the work as possible.
    Sorry if this is a bit techno geeky. It's much easier than it sounds. Once you're set up with the actions it's very, very simple.

Feel free to pm if you need further explanation or help.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    Griffins,

If there was an emoticon for me giving you a manly, but appreciative e-hug, I would put it here.

You just saved me a TON of time.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    I have a newer cannon I bought at Staples and it has a feature that will auto crop multiple items. You can put 6 cards in the bed with a little space between and it scans. crops and saves them as 6 different files. It is awesome.
  • Options
    bbcemporiumbbcemporium Posts: 684 ✭✭✭
    Taking Griffins advice, I picked up a 4400f scanner, and it is working great. I've been playing around with photoshop, more specifically, the "crop and straighten" function. Does anyone else use this function with raw cards? Is there anyway to adjust the crop settings?
    Registry Sets

"Common sense is the best distributed commodity in the world, for every man is convinced that he is well supplied with it"
  • Options

I use paint shop pro 8. It's an older program but it's a good one. The crop feature is excellent. You can crop up a scan of nine cards as fast as you can type the file names.

• Options
    bbcemporiumbbcemporium Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I use paint shop pro 8. It's an older program but it's a good one. The crop feature is excellent. You can crop up a scan of nine cards as fast as you can type the file names. >>

I see the crop function crops very close to the scan, maybe too close, is there any adjustment on this? Maybe it isn't an issue, but this was my observation as I was testing it out.
    Registry Sets

"Common sense is the best distributed commodity in the world, for every man is convinced that he is well supplied with it"
  • Options
    bziddybziddy Posts: 710 ✭✭✭
    I have a Canon LidoScan (I think) -- if your's uses the same MP Navigator Program -- select "Auto Detect (Multiple Documents)" from Document size.

I do 4 at a time this way and goes very quickly.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I use paint shop pro 8. It's an older program but it's a good one. The crop feature is excellent. You can crop up a scan of nine cards as fast as you can type the file names. >>

I see the crop function crops very close to the scan, maybe too close, is there any adjustment on this? Maybe it isn't an issue, but this was my observation as I was testing it out. >>

Just going by your question, I really don't think we're talking about the same program. Mine is Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8, and I just checked the date, 2003. image

What can I say, my 2001 computer just crashed 4 months ago, heh heh.