Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Shipping to an APO...what should I do?

I have sold books through half.com and discontinued shipping to APO (military) addresses because the customers were unhappy with the shipping time to them, resulting in the overall experience being awful.

Recently on eBay I sold some cards as buy it now with free shipping. I am looking to liquidate a lot of inventory that hasn't sold in the past few months so I am willing to part a little and offer free shipping on the cards, but now I have someone who bought cards and has an APO address and I am trying to decide whether it is going to be worth the hassle of shipping graded cards, knowing that the package will be opened and examined, and that the shipping time will be slow. Any ideas? I am open for opinions. We are talking about 40.00 worth of cards, so nothing very expensive.

Patrick

Comments

• Options
    Never had any problems shipping graded cards to an APO address and doesn't cost much.
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Never a problem either, but can you send them to the buyer's home address? Just a thought...
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Usually, it is not a problem.

Priority Mail works best.

Use Delivery Confirmation, if it is available to the address.

Cancelling the sale will almost certainly get you a NEG.

If you don't want to ship to APOs, just say so in the
    listings. You can then cancel any sales that are "unwelcome,"
    and EBAY will remove any NEGs garnered as a result.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    Ladder7Ladder7 Posts: 1,221
    Shipping to an APO is safe and cheap. Highly recommended.
  • Options
    I'd at least warn of long shipping times to APO addresses. If the individual is in a combat zone, they really shouldn't expect it for at least a month and typically more. My longest so far was 10 days and that resulted in a disgruntled customer.
  • Options
    ga5150ga5150 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭
    I just sold a bunch of junk wax to a buyer at an APO/FPO address. It's two separate packages each around 55 pounds and they came out to Parcel Post around $60 each and Priority around $90 each. For comparison, I'm sending some similar packages to other states and getting prices in the 20-30 dollar range. I see I also have to fill out a customs form right?

I don't mind shipping to APO, but I'm afraid the buyer will be upset at me for the shipping cost. I didn't mark up anything on the shipping quote either.

Rodney

<< <i>Shipping to an APO is safe and cheap. Highly recommended. >>

• Options
    nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    I've never had a problem, and nobody's complained about long shipping times, either. Perhaps they're used to it.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just sold a bunch of junk wax to a buyer at an APO/FPO address. It's two separate packages each around 55 pounds and they came out to Parcel Post around $60 each and Priority around $90 each. For comparison, I'm sending some similar packages to other states and getting prices in the 20-30 dollar range. I see I also have to fill out a customs form right?

I don't mind shipping to APO, but I'm afraid the buyer will be upset at me for the shipping cost. I didn't mark up anything on the shipping quote either.

Rodney

<< <i>Shipping to an APO is safe and cheap. Highly recommended. >>

>>

I don't believe you have to fill out a customs form, since the mailing address you are using is a United States one (New York, San Francisco, Miami, .....).

Steve
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    I had an issue with slow handling times as well but had d/c so he backed off of me and finally left good feedback
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Whenever I ship to an APO I have fairly constant communication until the card should be in the buyers hands.

"Thank you for your payment..."

"Your item shipped and was taken the the PO at such and such time..."

"Via delivery confirmation I see that the item has made it to its destination, please enjoy."

Stuff like that. Maybe a bit overkill, but the constant communication makes the buyer feel as if I'm responsive.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    Having lived overseas and received mail through APO, it is the norm for shipping times to be slow. Customs forms are required for packages once they reach a prespecified weight. Customers who get upset at shipping times have no reason to take it out on the seller, as it its not under their control. I've bought graded cards through EBay a few years back and never had a problem. I believe I even mailed payment which increased my wait time to receive the cards. I'd have no problem shipping to an APO and would probably offer free shipping to them. Keep in mind, some locations cannnot confirm delivery confirmation, signature conf or registered mail. Jim (postal guy on these boards) might be able to answer more.

Edit to add: Delivery confirmation may end @ the Atlantic Post Office or Fleet Post Office in NYC or SF.
  • Options
    ga5150ga5150 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭
    You're right Hacker. I think I remember reading that customs forms are required for items over 16 oz. Since my packages are both over 50 pounds, I'm not surprised at having to fill out extra forms. It's really no problem. In your experience, will packages be opened and inspected and repacked?

Rodney

<< <i>Having lived overseas and received mail through APO, it is the norm for shipping times to be slow. Customs forms are required for packages once they reach a prespecified weight. Customers who get upset at shipping times have no reason to take it out on the seller, as it its not under their control. I've bought graded cards through EBay a few years back and never had a problem. I believe I even mailed payment which increased my wait time to receive the cards. I'd have no problem shipping to an APO and would probably offer free shipping to them. Keep in mind, some locations cannnot confirm delivery confirmation, signature conf or registered mail. Jim (postal guy on these boards) might be able to answer more.

Edit to add: Delivery confirmation may end @ the Atlantic Post Office or Fleet Post Office in NYC or SF. >>

• Options
    I don't think the USPS will open packages and inspect (they will do it for media mail if they suspect the contents are not books/publications & someone is trying to save on shipping). If you can find this CU member: jimq112 - he has made posts with USPS experience - he may be able to answer that question - Jim - he's a good dude.
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    My wife is a USPS clerk, I asked her about APO.

She said a customs form is required with a few exceptions. The customs form is required by the country where it will be delivered, that most countries require the form and very few do not.

She also said that USPS will not normally open a parcel sent to APO unless there is suspicion regarding the contents. No smut, no horror comics, no bulk anti-muslim, and no pork products for sure. There might be other restrictions but those were the ones she knew. A single Bible or Cross is ok, a box of Bibles would be intercepted.

Any specific questions PM me and I'll ask at work to get clarification -
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    I once had a guy from Guam with a APO address want a card ($2K) and the only way I was going to do it was to send it insured to one of his relatives and let them take the risk of sending it to Guam.

Might go that route if its a pricey card