Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this toning for real? 2

Comments

• Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    I have a Nickel with color close to that (1944-D) on the obverse.

I always thought that it was real, but read somewhere lately that multicolor toning on nickels can be produced by exposure to machine oil (whatever that is).

I hope that he can sell it forwhat he wants as I would surely consider selling mine for that price.image
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Saw a number of similar war nickels all in NGC holders at the FUN Show. The coins came from a large hoard some with two sided color. The coins actually look better in person than in the scan. As they are in holders, they are "real." But recommend you keep them in the NGC holders as they may be difficult to crossover. In toto, you see what you are getting. the coins look cool and you won't find more attractive color on any nickel coins. If you buy the coins, check the flow of the color within the lettering. The color should NOT, in general, be the same on top of the letters as it is in recesed areas. Also, check to see if the color appears to be lying on top of the surface, not embedded as part of the surface...What i liked about the coins I saw was the lustre...it was booming. Usually, AT coins lack this see-through lustre. Hope this helps. PS: Bought three of these for a friend of mine, who is still my friend.
    rainbowroosie
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw this coin at Long Beach (I'm 99% sure it was the same coin...) and it truly does look great in person! I think GREEN is tough to fake and the colors do seem to blend correctly into each other. I think I'd buy this one if I wasn't committed to other coins first.

peacockcoins

• Options
    ToneloverTonelover Posts: 1,554
    I've seen a grouping of the coins from that collection and they are indeed quite captivating in person. But like rainbowroosie said, I wouldn't hold my breath trying to cross them. Nor would I pay what's currently being asked for them.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This coin is one of a hoard known as the "Appalachian Hoard" and it covers nearly all the War nickels. I own several of these coins, as do a number of other Board members. I believe the toning is real and I have successfully crossed these into PCGS holders. My coins were NGC MS67* coins and are awesome. The initial selling price was about $225-$325 per coin, so, this seller stands to make an enormous profit at the Buy It Now price.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    ToneloverTonelover Posts: 1,554
    That's cool to hear that you crossed some. Personally I feel they are questionable, but so interesting and pretty that I wouldn't mind owning one for the novelty. Coolest nickels I've ever seen.
  • Options
    gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    I second the comments of TomB. I too own a few of these pieces and they are truly incredible. As I understand it, Andy K was responsible for the distribution of this hoard.

GSAGUY
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    ttt since the topic came up in another thread.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tom's comment is why I suspect one or maybe two have crossed into PCGS, in the early days of the "hoard" but I've never seen them or heard of them since. PCGS, as far as I've learned, never graded one of these on a raw submission.

The story of how they came about is an interesting one and one I wish the originator would share (so as not to steal her thunder!). I've got three left and each, of course, is graded by NGC, one being the MS67*. I did note that they were graded, I believe, in the summer of 2001, back when NGC used a thinner, yet darker font, inserts they only used for about three or four months (if I have the dates right. Cameron?).

I'd sure love to see one of Tom's that crossed as some are much more wild than others and I'd suspect, as pretty as his are, it probably is of the more milder version from the "hoard".

peacockcoins

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file