Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2009 Topps Magic Football

picked up a couple boxes and a few of these yesterday and busted them this morning. Jury still out about all the players being in their college uniforms but I guess it's kinda cool, different anyway.

The idea of every card of the 250 card set having an auto is an awesome idea though. Wonder if anyone will ever complete that set image

Here's the info from Topp's site:

BASE MAGIC CARDS - 250 SUBJECTS - 7 PER PACK!
Abracadabra! 200 Veterans,Rookies and Retired Legends and 50 short
printed subjects in their college uniforms on 2-1/2 x 3-1/2” 20 pt. card
stock.
AUTOGRAPHED MAGIC CARDS - 3 PER BOX!
Base Magic Cards - Hocus pocus! Every player in the base set - 250 in
all - is represented with an autograph parallel version!
Alumni Dual - 30 players who went to the same college are paired
up with their autographs on 15 cards. Numbered* to 25.
Alumni Triple - Three time’s the charm! 10 cards featuring 3 college
alumni and 3 autographs. Numbered* to 25.
’48 Magic - 10 high profile players including Jim Brown, Dan Marino,
Adrian Peterson, and Terry Bradshaw with the signatures on the 1948
Magic design. Numbered* to 10.
MINI PARALLEL MAGIC CARDS - 250 SUBJECTS
1 PER PACK!

Here's the ink I pulled:

and the big one:

I'll get some base and insert scans up once I get them sorted

Comments

• Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    auto list, odds, and NPN info:

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not bad Mike. Nice "heritage" look to them I guess. How much were the hobby boxes, and how many packs per box?
  • Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    I opened some packs and got Leon Washington and Glen Coffee as my autos--nothing impressive, but I thought the cards had a nice look to them. Something different, at least. One of the bad parts about the set though is that there are only 35 rookies of the 250 cards, so most of the autos are current players who were easy enough for Topps to get autographs from.
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • Options
    paid 80 a box - 24 packs to a box 8 cards to a pack - just like Heritage
  • Options
    some base cards:

• Options
    some inserts:

• Options
    and some minis

• Options
    short print list:

2-- Brodie Croyle-- Alabama
    6-- DeMeco Ryans-- Alabama
    18-- Kenny Irons-- Auburn
    21-- Ben Obomanu-- Auburn
    26-- Robert Meachem-- Tennessee
    27-- Isaiah Stanback-- Washington
    34-- John Beck-- BYU
    35-- Justin Forsett-- California
    36-- Lavelle Hawkins-- California
    44-- Tye Hill-- Clemson
    46-- Chris Simms-- Texas
    47-- Chris Brown-- Colorado
    52-- Dave Thomas-- Wendy's
    55-- Derrick Harvey-- Florida
    58-- Fred Taylor-- Florida
    60-- Lorenzo Booker-- Florida State
    63-- Sebastian Janikowski-- Florida State
    66-- Ernie Sims-- Florida State
    75-- Sean Jones-- Georgia
    79-- Leonard Pope-- Georgia
    82-- P.J. Daniels-- Georgia Tech
    86-- Kevin Kolb-- Houston
    98-- Yamon Figurs-- Kansas State
    105-- Terry Bradshaw-- Louisiana Tech
    111-- Kolby Smith-- Louisville
    125-- Ahmad Bradshaw-- Marshall
    130-- Shawne Merriman-- Maryland
    131-- DeAngelo Williams-- Memphis
    136-- Greg Olsen-- Miami
    138-- Antrel Rolle-- Miami
    154-- Marlin Jackson-- Michigan
    165-- Deuce McAllister-- Mississippi
    172-- Brad Smith-- Missouri
    174-- Brandon Jackson-- Nebraska
    176-- Alvin Pearman-- Virginia
    178-- Matt Schaub-- Virginia
    180-- Ronald Curry-- North Carolina
    185-- DaJuan Morgan-- North Carolina State
    193-- Julius Jones-- Notre Dame
    195-- Maurice Stovall-- Notre Dame
    199-- Vernon Gholston-- Ohio State
    206-- Marc Bulger-- West Virginia
    207-- Mark Bradley-- Oklahoma
    208-- Owen Schmitt-- West Virginia
    211-- Allen Patrick-- Oklahoma
    222-- Reggie Williams-- Washington
    224-- Derrick Williams-- Penn State
    233-- Kyle Orton-- Purdue
    236-- Brian Leonard-- Rutgers
    239-- Lee Evans-- Wisconsin
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good looking cards. Almost makes me want to buy modern. Almost.
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a nice product. I enjoyed putting it together. I could use a little help finishing it if anyone wants to trade or sell me the following:

105sp,156,186,224sp,m14,m15,mt13,mt14,mt15,aa20,aa21,aa22,aa23

Thanks
    Stoney
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    I was a bit surprised to see Topps dust off the 1951 Magic release given it is relatively obscure to many hobbyists outside the vintage football segment. Even amongst the gridiron faithful the lack of star power in the set, with Vic Janowicz's RC being the notable exception, limits its appeal.

While I think Topps did a nice job with these (the 1955 TAA inserts aside) I suspect this release, much like the original, will be one and done... especially with it being released when it was.

Love that TD auto, he was the reason I became a football fan when I saw him take it all the way against the Vikes on Monday Night Football.

Snorto~

• Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    Sweet TD auto! Looks like a great set for autos
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    Nice TD auto. Got him in 1994 at a Books a Million, of all places. Great job.

Robert
  • Options
    Love the looks on these. I just won the Justin Forsett auto to this set off ebay for $1.51. I'm sure 95% of you havent heard of him yet. He's a RB for Seattle that I'm hoping breaks out big this year. He's a small guy with blazing speed, reminds me a bit of Darren Sproles.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    great set wrong time, what was topps thinking? Ginter owns July.
  • Options
    jivanjivan Posts: 1,009
    wow, set looks great but am not going to do it and just buy/trade for the marino auto's in this set.. any help, please pm me.. thanks ivan
    always looking for 1969 graded basketball
  • Options
    Looking to complete my set. I still have quite a few needs.

2,6,7,15,17,18,21,26,27,30,33,36,46,52,54,55,57,58,63,67,75,79,80,82,92,93,94,95,99,105,109,111,113,125,126,130,138,144,147,151,155,158,168,172,174,176,178,180,185,192,195,196,199,202,206,207,208,211,212,216,222,224,228,230,232,233,234,236,238,239,245,248

Available to trade:

87,76,64,50,47,37,14,12,103,117,115,123,129,135,149,163,164,175,190,201,221,220,235
  • Options
    cwazzy and i busted a couple blasters of this monday night. nice set. since i'm not building the set i have some cards i could trade... i'll try to put a list together and post it here.
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • Options
    RobbRobb Posts: 2,034
    This set has TTM project potential.
    imageRIP
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    I pulled a Joe Flacco auto today...pretty nice. I have all my base cards and SP's and minis for trade if anyone wants them.

Kevin
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this is actually a good time for the product. Football is a year round sport and the season will start next month. Right now there is no competition from other football sets. A great idea to combine the NFL and college players. Sneaky way to avoid paying the NFL license fees.

Mike
  • Options
    matthewbschultz83matthewbschultz83 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭
    If Anyone has any Texas Tech Red Raiders
    87 Graham Harrell
    97 Michael Crabtree
    101 Zach Thomas

The Alumni Card featuring Harrell/Crabtree, any minis, black bordered minis, or autographs

Busted a box, probably going to put a set together of the minis and base set. Going back for another box at the end of the week.
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

Building Sets, Collecting Texas Rangers, and Texas Tech Red Raiders
  • Options
    jivanjivan Posts: 1,009
    If any of you box blasters come across any marino autos, hit me up before you bay it.. thanks ivan
    always looking for 1969 graded basketball
  • Options
    Are the odds different between hobby and retail for this product?
    Mike
  • Options
    Price on Blowout cards just went from $799 to $824/case.
    Mike
  • Options
    looks like Topps released the print runs today - nice to see my Dorsett is of only 25

Magic Football print run

• Options
    fujfuj Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Love the looks on these. I just won the Justin Forsett auto to this set off ebay for $1.51. I'm sure 95% of you havent heard of him yet. He's a RB for Seattle that I'm hoping breaks out big this year. He's a small guy with blazing speed, reminds me a bit of Darren Sproles. >>

Nice product! Saw blasters at Target but didn't know anything about them. I just might pick up a box or two.

I sure hope Forsett gets an opportunity to get a lot of reps. He was a fan favorite at Cal because of his work ethic and approach to the game. He was an immediate contributor but never got to be the featured back until his Sr year because he was in the same recruiting class as Marshawn Lynch. As a Sophomore, he put up 999 yards as Lynch's backup. Not once did he complain about playing time.

As much as I'd like to see him succeed, I don't think he has the size or speed to be a feature back in the NFL. While he is fairly quick, he doesn't have the burst in the open field to take it to the house like Sproles and other smaller backs.
  • Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    I've bought a few hobby boxes and several blasters of this product. I'm trying to build both a master set and a mini set. I decided to stop into the card shop today and almost got distracted with some other product, but decided to focus on my task of completing these sets. I'm glad I stayed focused and grabbed a box today:

Not the best condition, but still a cool buyback:

Maurice Stovall Auto (confirmed run of 100):

A sweet Percy Harvin auto RC (confirmed run of 250):

And then this gem serial #'d to just 25:

Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options

<< <i>If Anyone has any Texas Tech Red Raiders
    87 Graham Harrell
    97 Michael Crabtree
    101 Zach Thomas

The Alumni Card featuring Harrell/Crabtree, any minis, black bordered minis, or autographs

Busted a box, probably going to put a set together of the minis and base set. Going back for another box at the end of the week. >>

You should be able to at least get the base TT guys on eBay for real cheap. I got the Ole Miss guys (Eli, Willis, Deuce) for a couple bucks dlvd.
  • Options
    Great pulls Don!!

Kinda strange that with the autographed highlights cards are # to 25 but the regular cards of most of the A players are limited to 25 as well but not numbered. Peterson's regular card is one of them too
  • Options
    Thanks Mike.

Yeah I was surprised to see AP was actually serial numbered vs., the other short prints where the print run is simply confirmed, but not on the card.

If anyone has extras I am looking for the following:

SPs: 18, 27, 60, 75, 86, 98, 130, 131, 154, 165, 172, 174, 178, 180, 199, 208, 233
    All Americans: 1, 8, 13, 14, 16, 17, 18, 24
    Alumni: AD-WW, AD-SW, AD-DS, AD-JL, AD-PM, AD-MD
    Magic Thrills: 1, 2, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 19
    48 Magic: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 20

• Options
    Thanks to Kevin (joestalin) I was able to knock quite a few cards off my list. Updated list appears above if anyone can help. Thanks.

• Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    I have never collect football but this product might do it for me. I think when people look back they will relate this with 2006 Allen & Ginter Baseball. The autos are amazing. Might grab a hobby box or two.
  • Options
    I hope you are right about this being the A&G of football. I also like the fact that there are no redemptions in this product. I may purchase and put away a couple of hobby boxes.

• Options
    I have never collect football before but after two blaster boxes I am hooked on this product. Great subsets and autos of EVERYONE in the set. Unheard of! I am going to grab a couple hobby boxes and see where that gets me. I cant see another retro football product like this for a long time to come. It has so much appeal not just to NFL collectors but it also grabs the college fans too. Three years from now we will be talking about how good this product is.
  • Options
    richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    A dickerson auto would be nice in his SMU jersey.

if anyone has one ., PM me for sell.

thanks
    Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
  • Options
    I saw an ad on the back of a magazine today for this years Mayo football - looks pretty nice too

• Options
    Cory, did you get any autos in the blasters? I keep seeing a few of them at the local K-Mart but i've been leaving them there

• Options

<< <i>Cory, did you get any autos in the blasters? I keep seeing a few of them at the local K-Mart but i've been leaving them there >>

If you are looking for autos in blasters, the odds are astronomical compared to hobby packs. I bought a blaster from Target and didn't get much of anything. When I compared the odds on the retail wrappers to the hobby odds, it was unbelievably harder to pull anything out of retail. Still a nice set however.

Does anyone have dups of the Cal players that they would be willing to sell or trade?
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow what great looking cards!

If anyone has any of these cards with players in their College uniforms PM me if you want to sell some extras.
  • Options

<< <i>Wow what great looking cards!

If anyone has any of these cards with players in their College uniforms PM me if you want to sell some extras. >>

Perk,
    Are there any particular players or schools you are looking for?
  • Options

<< <i>Wow what great looking cards!

If anyone has any of these cards with players in their College uniforms PM me if you want to sell some extras. >>

all of the cards are in their college uniforms
  • Options
    I have bought several blasters at the local Target here and have pulled autos out of them. Im still looking for a few SP's to finish off my set. If anyone has any for trade, let me know which ones your after.
  • Options

<< <i>Cory, did you get any autos in the blasters? I keep seeing a few of them at the local K-Mart but i've been leaving them there >>

Out of two blasters I pulled one auto, Kamerion Wimbley. I tossed the boxes and wrappers so I dont have any numbers.

• Options

<< <i>

If you are looking for autos in blasters, the odds are astronomical compared to hobby packs. I bought a blaster from Target and didn't get much of anything. When I compared the odds on the retail wrappers to the hobby odds, it was unbelievably harder to pull anything out of retail. Still a nice set however.

Does anyone have dups of the Cal players that they would be willing to sell or trade? >>

I've gotten autos in 4 of 6 blasted I've opened.

I have a ton of base set extras. I'll see what I have for Cal players.

• Options

<< <i>I have never collect football before but after two blaster boxes I am hooked on this product. Great subsets and autos of EVERYONE in the set. Unheard of! I am going to grab a couple hobby boxes and see where that gets me. I cant see another retro football product like this for a long time to come. It has so much appeal not just to NFL collectors but it also grabs the college fans too. Three years from now we will be talking about how good this product is. >>

I think you are right. It's a fantastic set that will continue to grow on people over time. Let me know what you still need after you break your hobby boxes. I have a ton of extras and can probably help out.

• Options
    Does any one have an extra Hakeem Nicks base card I could buy off them?I want to try and get one signed.
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Does any one have an extra Hakeem Nicks base card I could buy off them?I want to try and get one signed.
    Mike >>

Yep, pm me your addy, and I'll send one out to you.

• Options

<< <i>Does anyone have dups of the Cal players that they would be willing to sell or trade? >>

I've got Marshawn Lynch, DeSean Jackson, and Justin Forsett if you need them. Lavelle Hawkins who is a SP is the only one I can't help you with. Drop me a pm if you get a chance.

• Options
    I'm still looking for the following minis if anyone can help. I can trade or buy.

6 DeMeco Ryans
    9 Derek Hagan
    26 Robert Meachem
    35 Justin Forsett
    44 Tye Hill
    52 Dave Thomas
    55 Derrick Harvey
    82 PJ Daniels
    86 Kevin Kolb
    125 Ahmad Bradshaw
    174 Brandon Jackson
    180 Ronald Curry