Home Autographs Forum
Options

Need Help with a Babe Ruth Autograph

I'm looking at an old autograph book that includes a Babe Ruth signature. I've compared it to the exemplars I have and it doesn't look quite right. I'd like to get another opinion on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree.....it's not the Babe. In fact, I am not sure about the authenticity of the entire page. The John Brosco signature appears to be written in the same hand as the "New York Yankees 1935" and many of the signatures, if not all, appear to be written by the same person. There just doesn't seem to be any variety in writing styles here.
  • Options
    Thanks Pete. This was an autograph book that was for sale at a local auction house. Here's a link to the other pages if you're curious to see the other signatures baseball autograph book.

I see what you mean about the John Brosco, but I thought the Lou Gehrig looked good. One of the guys at the auction argued that he thought the Babe Ruth was real because the signature under Ruth's overlapped and that the Cleveland Indians stamp would't be there if it wasn't real. But I stood my ground on it because everything about the signature was just wrong, wrong, wrong. Someone ended up paying $4800 for it.

Again thanks for the input, I'm glad I went with my instincts on this.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks Pete. This was an autograph book that was for sale at a local auction house. Here's a link to the other pages if you're curious to see the other signatures baseball autograph book.

I see what you mean about the John Brosco, but I thought the Lou Gehrig looked good. One of the guys at the auction argued that he thought the Babe Ruth was real because the signature under Ruth's overlapped and that the Cleveland Indians stamp would't be there if it wasn't real. But I stood my ground on it because everything about the signature was just wrong, wrong, wrong. Someone ended up paying $4800 for it.

Again thanks for the input, I'm glad I went with my instincts on this. >>

THe gehrig and the gomez look too similar to me. I don't think any of them are legit.
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭

<< <i>I agree.....it's not the Babe. In fact, I am not sure about the authenticity of the entire page. The John Brosco signature appears to be written in the same hand as the "New York Yankees 1935" and many of the signatures, if not all, appear to be written by the same person. There just doesn't seem to be any variety in writing styles here. >>

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Ruth and Gehrig are complete fakes. I therefore, wouldn't trust any of the others either.

Steve