Home Sports Talk
Options

UFL new fall football VICK to play??

UFL will consider signing Vick for debut seasonAssociated Press
add this RSS blog email print Updated: July 3, 2009, 3:49 PM EDT

NEW YORK (AP) - When the United Football League debuts in October, Michael Vick could be one of its players.

Michael Huyghue, the commissioner of the new four-team league, says the UFL is willing to give Vick a place to play — provided there are no pending legal issues. His rights belong to the Orlando franchise.

"One of the things that is important in our premiere season is to showcase the quality of talent and the coaches, and to be able to show outstanding players who find themselves in this quagmire the NFL creates," Huyghue said. "Michael Vick might be that kind of player because he is ... a phenomenal talent, but he needs transitionining back into the NFL.

"Also gaining as much widespread exposure for the league as possible might be addressed with Michael Vick."

Huyghue said he will monitor the Vick situation closely and "if he is free and clear of legal issues, we will look at the situation."

Vick already has served an 18-month sentence in federal prison for his involvement in a dogfighting ring. He is under home confinement until July 20, after which the NFL is expected to announce whether the former Atlanta Falcons quarterback will be suspended.

Vick, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2001 draft, has not played football since the 2006 season.

The UFL will have teams in Orlando, New York, Las Vegas and San Francisco, playing games mostly on Thursday nights in October and November. The championship game will be Nov. 27, the day after Thanksgiving.

Orlando acquired UFL rights to Vick in an allocation draft of players not under contract in the NFL.

"I don't know if the NFL will suspend Vick," said Dennis Green, coach of the San Francisco team and the chairman of the UFL's competition committee - a role he also held while coaching in the NFL. "What he did was very wrong, and he paid his debt to society. He was a model inmate, otherwise he never would have made it out from prison early.

"Now he has to show he loves the game and is a responsible citizen. You can't show you love the game if you're not able to play the game. So if Michael Vick were to say, 'I will play for not a lot of money,' well, hello. We're here.

"If he is not allowed back into the NFL and he wants to show he is a model citizen and he loves the game, there is not a better situation for him."

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league would have no comment. Joel Segal, Vick's agent, did not immediately respond to a message left by The Associated Press.

While it sounds as if Vick will be welcomed into the UFL, Huyghue would not address the situations of Plaxico Burress, Donte' Stallworth or other NFL players with legal problems.

"Every player will have to be unique and different," he said.

Green reiterated there have been no UFL discussions about those players, and he emphasized the UFL will not be an outlaw league.

"We don't want to be known as a league where if guys are in trouble, that is where you go," Green said.
succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vick is a dirtbag and committed an awful crime but has PAID his debt to society, the guy deserves another chance in my opinion.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    He will be starting for the Vikes opening day, just wait and see
  • Options
    Vick kills some dogs which is a terrible thing, but gets 2+ years in jail and loses everything, and is widely reviled as the most hated player in the NFL. Dante Stallworth, while drunk at 7am, kills a guy with his $300,000 car, gets a month in jail, and nobody cares.

I think our priorities are *just* a bit screwed up.

• Options
    UFL eyeing overseas expansion in year two or three

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Only a few months away from beginning his U.S. football league's inaugural season, the United Football League's commissioner is already talking about overseas expansion.

The UFL, set to begin play in October with four teams competing in seven cities, is eyeing teams in Europe for next year or the year after, Commissioner Michael Huyghue said.

"Foreign expansion for UFL very likely for year two or three," he wrote in a Tuesday post on Twitter, a fast-growing micro-blogging service. "Some fantastic soccer stadiums that would work perfectly."

UFL spokeswoman Rachel Gary confirmed Huyghue's comments and that he is in Europe. She said the UFL is looking at expansion both overseas and in the United States over the next two years.

Huyghue previously said the league will expand by at least two to four teams in 2010, and the UFL has discussed putting a team in Mexico.

Huyghue, who wrote he had visited London, Frankfurt, Munich and Berlin and was on his way to Barcelona, Madrid and Italy, said there was strong interest in American football despite the failure of the National Football League's European league.

The NFL, which has played regular-season games in Mexico and England, launched an American football league in Europe in 1991 but closed it in 2007.

The UFL in February announced plans to kick off its inaugural season with a smaller slate of teams -- it had initially targeted six to eight teams -- due to the U.S. recession.

Investors in the UFL include W.R. Hambrecht + Co CEO William Hambrecht; the former head of First Boston Corp, William Mayer; Google executive Tim Armstrong, and Paul Pelosi, the husband of Nancy Pelosi, speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives.

The UFL is the latest in a series of leagues to compete against the NFL since the 1970s. Its predecessors -- the World Football League, the United States Football League and, most recently, the XFL -- all failed.

However, Huyghue and UFL officials have vowed not to overspend or set unrealistic expectations -- mistakes of past NFL rivals. Huyghue has said the UFL will complement the NFL and not try to compete for top players.

UFL games will air on Versus, a network owned by Comcast, and will take place primarily on Thursday evenings. The season will end with a championship game over Thanksgiving weekend in Las Vegas.

The initial UFL teams are in New York, Las Vegas, San Francisco and Orlando, Florida, although the first three clubs also will play individual games in Hartford, Connecticut, Los Angeles and Sacramento, California, respectively.

(Reporting by Ben Klayman; Editing by Steve Orlofsky
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Options
    benderbroethbenderbroeth Posts: 1,699 ✭✭

<< <i>Vick kills some dogs which is a terrible thing, but gets 2+ years in jail and loses everything, and is widely reviled as the most hated player in the NFL. Dante Stallworth, while drunk at 7am, kills a guy with his $300,000 car, gets a month in jail, and nobody cares.

I think our priorities are *just* a bit screwed up. >>

i dont think know one cares but yeah seems a bit off....but unlike vick he did not mean to kill anyone...sarcastic smile...
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vick kills some dogs which is a terrible thing, but gets 2+ years in jail and loses everything, and is widely reviled as the most hated player in the NFL. Dante Stallworth, while drunk at 7am, kills a guy with his $300,000 car, gets a month in jail, and nobody cares.

I think our priorities are *just* a bit screwed up.

What Vick did and did for an extended period of time, was vicious, cruel and inhumane. Stallworth, on the other hand, certainly didn't intend to hurt anyone and though his sentence was quite light, it was approved by the victim's family due to a financial settlement, so they obviously signed off on it. You can't compare the two cases, IMO..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    BassPro77BassPro77 Posts: 1,152
    they need to take him out to the vegas desert and find a hole for that piece of crap
    Bill
    looking for PELLE LINDBERGH's psa and 1960 fleer baseball psa 8 and up
    sets in progress
    R.I.P. Barstow 24 April 1999 - May 15 2009
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's so many holes in this pathetic game plan. Of course the main object of schemes such as this is to sucker in as many investors as possible, and the originators windup with a bundle of money no matter if the league makes it or not, and in my opinion the chances of this league "making it" are zero.

<<< he initial UFL teams are in New York, Las Vegas, San Francisco and Orlando >>>

First mistake among many...no regional rivalries here to stimulate fan interest. They would have been much better off say starting with all their teams on the East Coast or some other geographical area, and then expanding from there...that would have also reduced travel expenses, etc.

And even mentioning signing a "pariah" such as Michael Vick - just pathetic beyond belief.
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    If he really makes it to O-town, I'll definitely have to check out a game next year.
  • Options
    f he really makes it to O-town, I'll definitely have to check out a game next year.

Better hurry, this league has about as much of a chance of lasting as the XFL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    bighurt2000bighurt2000 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭
    What Vick did will never be paid in full he is a piece of image and should not get another chance.

If he wants to have another chance give up football and spend the rest of his life working to help
    animals from people like himself.

Thank you and have a nice day.

James
  • Options
    So if someone goes out and drinks and drives you don't think they're going out there intending to hurt someone? Why is there more outrage and hatred flung at Vick for fighting and killing dogs than a guy who willfully drunk and drove and killed a human being? Just because the victim's family agreed to a cash settlement doesn't make the crime any less egregious.

Unbelievable that that is the case...
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    How many Vick RCs you trying to unload?
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    So if someone goes out and drinks and drives you don't think they're going out there intending to hurt someone? Why is there more outrage and hatred flung at Vick for fighting and killing dogs than a guy who willfully drunk and drove and killed a human being? Just because the victim's family agreed to a cash settlement doesn't make the crime any less egregious.

Unbelievable that that is the case...

I'd doubt any drunk driver gets behind the wheel "intending" to hurt anyone...I'm not saying that a drunk driver who kills someone while driving drunk should not be held responsible for his or her actions, but it's inappropriate to compare dogfighting and drunk driving, IMO...not even sure why you'd want to do so in the first place...

• Options
    One is an act of knowing evil the other is an act of stupidity with a mix of arrogance. Both deserve punishing to the full extent of the law IMO. I don't think there is an up side or "awww it's just killing puppies" thing here.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Both committed crimes and both got punished. I think we could go back and forth forever on who's crime is worse etc. What Vick did was horrible and he's done/doing his time. I know wherever he's going to end up he'll be booed and protested. I wonder if Stallworth will feel the same wrath from the public. I tend to doubt it. Kind of ironic don't you think?
  • Options
    If you get behind the wheel of a car drunk its no different than going out in public with a loaded gun shooting it off randomly then acting surprised when you kill someone. I'm not saying killing dogs isn't a terrible thing (far from it) but its absolutely mind-blowing the fallout Vick has gotten for fighting and killing dogs while Stallworth kills a human being and is largely forgotten. Vick fights and kills dogs and gets 2 years in prison, Stallworth runs over someone while drunk at 7am and gets a month.

Everyone's priorities in both cases are way, way, way out of whack.

That being said Vick has more than served his debt to society, he's working with the humane society to bring to light the wrongness of abusing animals, and he's as deserving as anyone of a second chance.
  • Options
    Everyone's priorities in both cases are way, way, way out of whack.

Are you saying that Vick did not deserve to go to jail for what he did?

If so, I'd say that it's your prioriries that are "out of whack."

Yes, Vick will undoubtedly get a second chance, but that doesn't mean that she should not be reviled for the sickening acts he committed.

Obviously, you never had a pet dog, either, or as suggested above, maybe you're holding on to a hoard of Vick RCs that you're hoping to unload.

Either way, Vick was and is a slimeball dirtbag...

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That being said Vick has more than served his debt to society, he's working with the humane society to bring to light the wrongness of abusing animals, and he's as deserving as anyone of a second chance.

Hes doing all this because hes BROKE!.I hope he never plays again.
  • Options
    Of course he deserved to go to jail for what he did. But for him to serve 2+ years for killing dogs while another guy gets 30 days for killing a human being is what I mean is out of whack. You people are focusing on the wrong part of the debate here...why is vick so reviled and hated for killing dogs while Stallworth gets nothing more than a slap on the wrist for killing a human being?

And not get another chance? Really? Since when did we become a society of people totally and completely unforgiving?
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think most people are upset by the nature of how he killed the dogs.
    As I am.
  • Options
    I doubt Stallworth ever plays again in the NFL where Vick could just nobody wants him to play for them.

People act like Vick was Peyton Manning or something. He was basically mediocre as a starter and was way to inconsistent to be considerred top flight QB.

His career was already going downhill before the incident.
  • Options

<< <i>I doubt Stallworth ever plays again in the NFL where Vick could just nobody wants him to play for them.

People act like Vick was Peyton Manning or something. He was basically mediocre as a starter and was way to inconsistent to be considerred top flight QB.

His career was already going downhill before the incident. >>

Revisionist history at its finest. Nobody ever stated he was Manning, but he was the best athlete in the NFL and was a successful QB before the jailtime. To suggest, however, that 'nobody' will want him to play for them is wishful thinking...he'll have more than one team competing for his services when he comes back. He may not come back as a QB, but I could easily see his returning as a RB/WR, especially given how many teams will be implementing the 'Wildcat' offense that Miami saw such success with last year.

I don't see Vick missing the entire year this year. He's already effectively served a 2 year suspension, so I could see a 4 or 8 game suspension all he sees this year.
  • Options
    The chances of Vick being reinstated this season are virtually nil, IMO...

BTW, Hello, Axtell...

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    There's no need to create a new thread for the UFL. Did a search and this is the only one.

So I'm watching the Redwoods of California v the Cho-Cho Trains hailing from Las Vegas on VERSUS.

Uh... It's football and... Good background noise and.... They interview players, during the game, on the sidelines.

Yup.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts