Home U.S. Coin Forum

1834 Classic Head Half Eagle Die Variety Set 7 of 9

BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
I was asked to post this separately so here it is. If anyone has the two missing varieties I can add those in to complete the reference set.

An almost complete 1834 Die Variety Set, I am missing 2 of the 9 known. image

McCloskey 1A

McCloskey 2A: Thanks to Ronyahski for posting this one

McCloskey 2B

McCloskey 2C: Missing

McCloskey 3A

McCloskey 3B

McCloskey 3C

McCloskey 4C

McCloskey 5D

Comments

• PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
  • RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting collection. You're breaking new ground in collecting CHG by die variety. Most would be surprised that there are varieties of the 1834 $5 that are rarer than the more well known and much more expensive Crosslet 4.

You shouldn't have any problem finding a 2-A, a more common variety. Here's mine:

imageimage

I think the 2-C is much tougher. I'm sure you have done a ton of research, so what have you found to be the rarest 1834 die varieties?
    Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Very interesting collection. You're breaking new ground in collecting CHG by die variety. Most would be surprised that there are varieties of the 1834 $5 that are rarer than the more well known and much more expensive Crosslet 4.

You shouldn't have any problem finding a 2-A, a more common variety. Here's mine:

I think the 2-C is much tougher. I'm sure you have done a ton of research, so what have you found to be the rarest 1834 die varieties? >>

Thanks Ron, I stretched your images to match the others and posted it in the OP.

As far as rarity, here are my estimates:

1A - R3
    2A - R2
    2C - R4
    3A - R3
    3B - R2
    3C - R5
    4C - R3
    5D - R4

From the 10 year census I have done this seems about right, 3C is the most difficult followed by 5D and everything else is relatively common which is why my focus is on the harder 1835 varieties where many are in the R6/R7 range.
  • CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭✭
    Great coins and great photos. Thanks Bekoka!
  • timcointimcoin Posts: 674
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great coins and great research on the varieties and estimating scarcity - thanks for sharing!
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
  • determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭
    Yes, thanks for sharing!

Even if it's not my collecting focus, I find it very interesting! And it still makes me envious.

5 Stars!

imageimageimageimageimage
    I collect history in the form of coins.
  • rjsvtrjsvt Posts: 163
    Wow, those are absolutely beautiful!!!! image

bob
    Bob
  • NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great post on a series that does not get much attention. I also believe the crosslet is an R4, not as rare as usually described, but the Redbook listing has increased its value.

Good work on the rarity rating estimates. Heritage archives are becoming extensive enough to provide valid numismatic data.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful coins and great photos, thanks for sharing them!
  • Hello,

Here are a couple candidates for your 2-C image.

http://oldcollectorcoins.com/1834-2C-Br-6502-AU58-R4-$3.2k-second-head-small-plain-4.jpg
    http://oldcollectorcoins.com/1834-2C-Br-6502-MS63-R4-$8.8k-second-head-small-plain-4.jpg

If this completes the 9 varieties you are more than welcome to change the thread title.

Also do you have the rarity estimate for the 2-B?

I have checked the listing on set registry for the BECOKA variety set and are there more varieties that are known but not listed in that set?

Does anyone have a copy of a/the Harry W Bass catalog(s)? or the John Reich Journal? or ANS coinage of the americas conference book americas gold coinage?

• Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    Would you look at the size of that name, WOWZA!!!
  • yes, had i known that it would offset the alignment of the forum posts, i assure you i would have not done that
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool and thanks for the update!

<< <i>yes, had i known that it would offset the alignment of the forum posts, i assure you i would have not done that >>

With only 3 posts I'd think about starting over with a new name or contact the forum administrator to do this. They might make an exception given how the name interferes with the flow of posting.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>yes, had i known that it would offset the alignment of the forum posts, i assure you i would have not done that >>

Just open a new account with a new user name if the moderators will not allow you to change your name. It might be easier on a lot of folks.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• mods have been contacted

to business

do let me know if the images I uploaded qualify for the 2-C position and then I can add them to my set officially.

As well, any assistance with my inquiries will be appreciated.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't help you, but 4c is the cat's meow.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Shoot, this thread is getting more traction now than it did 2 years ago when I originally published it.

BTW due to many reasons I have put a halt to collecting coins. It might take a couple years to get back in. I still have all my classic heads (~30 now) and they are not going anywhere.
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear more people are at least visiting about CH gold coins.

With you halting collecting, does that mean that attribution work also has halted?

If you can find the time to confirm or deny the 2-C I've listed in this thread. Or if you don't have time give me a couple of tips and I will do it.

I do have experience attributing die varieties so I'm ready.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

<< <i>Glad to hear more people are at least visiting about CH gold coins.

With you halting collecting, does that mean that attribution work also has halted?

If you can find the time to confirm or deny the 2-C I've listed in this thread. Or if you don't have time give me a couple of tips and I will do it.

I do have experience attributing die varieties so I'm ready.

Thanks for your time and consideration. >>

Sorry missed that post. It's hard to tell, I don't see there should be a small bud between the top and middle set of leaves on the reverse. If the Bud is there then these qualify. (Triple cut 4 on the obverse, Tongue on the eagles beak and small bud)
    Hello.

Thanks for the response. No worries about missing the post. It sounds like your plate is full.

Is the bud i am looking for similar to the 4c (or is the little thing not a bud on the 4c)? Also are there any other triple cut 4's on 1834 $5?

Does anyone have a copy of a/the Harry W Bass catalog(s)? or the John Reich Journal? or ANS coinage of the americas conference book americas gold coinage?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭
    Both the half eagles you posted are 2-C's. The bud on this reverse is small and nearly invisible.

For the 4-C variety, I've noted Stack's 3-06 (Crimson): 1807 and Heritage 10-06: 2722 as examples. There are others, of course; I just use those sales because that's around the time I was thinking about these. (I don't collect them BTW.)
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
    Aegis3

Hello.

Thanks for the response.

What other diagnostic features for the 2-C did you use from the 2 photos I posted besides the bud?

not a challenge to your attribution but curiosity for my learning.

Tongue and triple 4 as Becoka (mcclosky?) suggested?

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Shoot, this thread is getting more traction now than it did 2 years ago when I originally published it.

BTW due to many reasons I have put a halt to collecting coins. It might take a couple years to get back in. I still have all my classic heads (~30 now) and they are not going anywhere. >>

Welcome back, Ben. We missed you. I hope things are going your way. If there's anything we/I can do for you give us/me a shout.

One of da brothas,
    Lance.
  • Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭
    On the obverse, the font of the 8 (plain/block) and 4 (plain), along with the repunching of the 4 and its position WRT the hair.

On the reverse, the tongue, nearly invisible bud, and the position of the 5 WRT the arrow feathers. The die crack through most of UNITED confirms it also.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
    Aegis,

Well done.

I appreciate the confirmation with diagnostic features to confirm/deny the addition and completion of the 9 known varieties of the 1834 $5 images for this thread.

We eagerly await Becoka's approval for the 2-C.

Thanks,

Lance - OCC

diggin this old thread up. my first posts to the forum and some great CHG coin images in the first post from BK

whew, that first id i had was somethin else

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file