Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Should PCGS...

Have a collector based panel and experts in the individual series determine which coins should be included in these registry sets?
There seems to be alot of issues with some sets and without hearing from the very people that build these sets, and spends money with PCGS. I would think it would be in the best interest of PCGS as a whole to do this, but it seems they do not agree.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Confused...

Are you referring to varities, or just the basic coins in the sets?

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    Sorry about that, I was talking about varieties...
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    As far as the varieties go they chose to go the CPG. That at least covers most of the more popular ones ones. I'm doing the Mercury Dimes which is a different book than the cents which seems to have got the shaft as far as the Lincoln collectors are concerned. There are numerous Mercury Dime varieties not yet even found let along listed.

I think the high fees to grade these things are even more of a problem than which coins they allow in.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Yes.

Doubt it will ever come to fruition.

btw - uhhhhhhhhhhh, WHEN EXACTLY are going to get the Washington quarter complete variety sets? image
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, It would be fairly easy to solicit opinions or votes on upcoming changes to the registry sets. Ask the top 10 or 20 participants in the
    particular set that is affected by email. A healthy discussion on these very boards could help shape the vote or decision. Shag
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>btw - uhhhhhhhhhhh, WHEN EXACTLY are going to get the Washington quarter complete variety sets? <<

I know they are working on this because when I ask for a Complete Bust Set BJ said they would do that later and that they were working on the Wash. 25c sets. That was 3 or 4 months ago.
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes.

Doubt it will ever come to fruition.

btw - uhhhhhhhhhhh, WHEN EXACTLY are going to get the Washington quarter complete variety sets? image >>

Well, they already posted one. It is the complete variety set 1932-present. Its 467 required coins for a complete set.image
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    I am SO SORRY I missed it. I got so tired of looking for one over the last 3-4 years that I assumed it still wasn't there.

COMPLETE VARIETY WASHINGTON QUARTER SET imageimageimage
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    I think the high fees to grade these things are even more of a problem than which coins they allow in.

imageimageimage

When the variety is not that rare or hard to spot, so the premium for that variety is nearly non-existent, is it really worth the (approx.) $25 extra to designate it.
    Case in point would be the 1964-D Kennedys (D/D, DDO, etc).
    There's a bunch out there, and they're needed for the 'Varieties', but I'll but the pop's are low because it's hard to justify paying for grading & variety attribution that probably exceeds the value of the coin.

Sorry, I'll get off the soapbox, and back to your question......

To some extent, PCGS is doing just that.
    I routinely get emails, not because I'm an 'expert', but because I have a set in the registry of the set in question, asking if I would like to see a coin (variety) add to a set.
    This, to me, is creating a 'collector based panel'. Do they also ask 'experts' in the series what they think? I don't know, but I can guess that 'PCGS experts' chime in too.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Below is my earlier Gripe. Ajia, I am glad you were contacted, and I have heard of this happening, buy why is this not the "official' policy. It seems that if no one here knows they do this, then obviously, something is wrong.

Once again, how these decisions to add some coins and delete others is done is beyond me. I understand it’s their program, but they have ticked off a lot of collectors in the past and present with this lack of soliciting opinions, transparency or what ever you want to call it. I have said for a long time a WELL KNOWN volunteer committee needs to address these issues as I do not feel from a collector or public relations aspect PCGS is getting it right. Another option would be that if you are the top collector of a series, you automatically are on the cent, dime, or whatever coin committee series.

Let’s look at the past, remember the absolute debacle of Satins being added and to what sets. It took only 2 YEARS to figure that one out. Most recently, the 64 SMS gets in on SOME variety sets, but NOT ALL. What’s up with that? I am telling you it’s a crying shame the way which coin are added or deleted. That is why I laugh out loud when I hear fellow collectors want or even demand 8-9 2009 varieties to be added. We have a 28 Large S and no 41 ? WHY???? Just because?
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    I'd be more than happy to help them figure this out. There are a number of significant varieties not listed in the CPG. Just because the CPG says something or not, should not mean it's the only viable option.

BTW... there are 63 varieties of DDO trees in that complete quarter set. I'm pretty sure, not all of them are listed in the CPG. What's up with that PCGS?

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

BTW... there are 63 varieties of DDO trees in that complete quarter set. I'm pretty sure, not all of them are listed in the CPG. What's up with that PCGS?

Steve >>

63x $25(variety attribution) and (what $15 for moderns?) = $2520!!!!!! (And then you have to pay the shipping/insurance/handling/packaging fees)
    That's some serious dough, considering raw they aren't worth a newspaper.

WHO in their right mind is going to pay to have all 63 varieties of these in PCGS plastic. Assuming someone out their is die hard enough to own them all.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>WHO in their right mind is going to pay to have all 63 varieties of these in PCGS plastic. Assuming someone out their is die hard enough to own them all. >>

Prolly one of them fella's that owns a 1958 DDO Lincoln! image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!