Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Any Thoughts on DGS Graded Coins...

I have been thinking about sending in a few that would probably slabbed genuine by pcgs, not rare, just special. Does any have any graded by them, if so what do you think...image

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They do an excellent job, but apparently aren't acceptable to eBay.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They do an excellent job, but apparently aren't acceptable to eBay. >>

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭✭
    Poof in a matter of minutes!! But they are a great company with the only drawback being lack of market acceptability. Try selling your nice coins in their holder....it'll be a bloodbath to your wallet and ego!!
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My opinion for collectors would be use the heck out of them, but for resale, the public is just not ready yet. JMO-----Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Poof in a matter of minutes!! But they are a great company with the only drawback being lack of market acceptability. Try selling your nice coins in their holder....it'll be a bloodbath to your wallet and ego!! >>

Unfortunately, I suspect you are correct.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    500Bay500Bay Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭
    I like the visual pop reports on line with DGS.

With time they may gain more market acceptability, but it seems that DGS is a place for problem coins. That is their biggest problem, IMHO.
    Finem Respice
  • Options
    ksteelheaderksteelheader Posts: 11,777

<< <i>I like the visual pop reports on line with DGS.

With time they may gain more market acceptability, but it seems that DGS is a place for problem coins. That is their biggest problem, IMHO. >>

Some services call them "Genuine".
  • Options
    They seem to have alot of cleaned coins in their holders.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They seem to have alot of cleaned coins in their holders. >>

But they are identified as such rather than calling than calling them "GENUINE" which is a cop out.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    <<But they are identified as such rather than calling than calling them "GENUINE" which is a cop out. >>

I agree completely.

So far, the only thing I dont like about DGS is the holders. They look tacky and self made. image
  • Options
    I have never seen one that I was tempted to buy, and I have not considered submitting coins for grading. What's the point?

Stick with PCGS.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    They deserve a better fate than the marketplace is giving them.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    I have been impressed by the accurate, conservative nature of their grading. They seem to be on par with PCGS/NGC/ANACS on a purely grading perspective.

Market weight is another matter entirely, but hopefully that will come with time because more competition among the first tier TPGs is needed, IMO.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭
    Why would this thread go POOF? There's a David Lawrence ad at the bottom of this page and John just had his picture on an ad in The Numismatist with a nice quote about how PCGS graded coins have helped his business.
    "Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why would this thread go POOF? There's a David Lawrence ad at the bottom of this page and John just had his picture on an ad in The Numismatist with a nice quote about how PCGS graded coins have helped his business. >>

I've seen numerous DGS theads poofed over the months including one I started. The "House" doesn't like competition being discussed and I don't blame them!! It's their playground!!
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I consider DGS coins as raw coins. This may change in the future, after enough of the DGS coins get into the market.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options

<< <i>I've seen numerous DGS theads poofed over the months including one I started. The "House" doesn't like competition being discussed and I don't blame them!! It's their playground!! >>

Are you saying PCGS considers DGS to be competition? Interesting.

• Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have been impressed by the accurate, conservative nature of their grading. They seem to be on par with PCGS/NGC/ANACS on a purely grading perspective.

Market weight is another matter entirely, but hopefully that will come with time because more competition among the first tier TPGs is needed, IMO. >>

I agree, they have some heavy hitters behind them and they have some gorgeous coins in their holders and grade conservatively, but sadly they just don't sell well. However, this means you can get some good coin buys in DGS holders.
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    DropdaflagDropdaflag Posts: 774 ✭✭✭✭
    This got BB'd at NGC for planchet flaw. I was thinking ANACS at first but read they will not grade planchet flaws so I was wondering about DGS as well.

• Options
    Any Thoughts on DGS Graded Coins...

Actually, I do not think of them at all.
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    DGS is using the old PCI style slabs and will never gain market acceptance until they change the slabs.

PS: They bought the old PCI equipment hence the slabs.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    BAYOUBENGALBAYOUBENGAL Posts: 97 ✭✭✭
    I think they do a very good job-have submitted several dozen to them, and found them to be fair and accurate. Over time I think they will gain a lot more acceptance and will easily become #3 behind PCGS and NGC. I like the idea of buying now and holding them for a bit. Worst case is you have a coin that has a fair grade....also, I do not think they use old PCI holders-at least not the old pci holders I have seen. Besides, I do not think the holder is that important.
    keep up the good work dgs....
    BAYOUBENGAL
    CFA, LSU AND ANA
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    Using those crappy slabs is the first problem they will have to overcome. I would love to know the reason they used those crappy slabs to start with, carryover is no excuse. They will change at some point and then you will have new DOGS slabs and the old DOGS slabs. I like david lawarence and have spent at least 50k with them. I have not and will not buy a coin in there holder and leave it in that CRAPPY looking holder.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options

<< <i>Any Thoughts on DGS Graded Coins...

Actually, I do not think of them at all. >>

You must think about them otherwise why would you open this thread and post to it.image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Any Thoughts on DGS Graded Coins...

Actually, I do not think of them at all. >>

You must think about them otherwise why would you open this thread and post to it.image >>

• Options
    500Bay500Bay Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

<< <i> << I like the visual pop reports on line with DGS. With time they may gain more market acceptability, but it seems that DGS is a place for problem coins. That is their biggest problem, IMHO. >>

Some services call them "Genuine". >>

What I meant was that I rarely see non problem coins in DGS holders.

I do wish PCGS would spell out what the problem is, and not just list a code number.
    Finem Respice
  • Options
    I would have forgotten they existed had someone not brought it up. If they went away quietly, I would not notice.
  • Options

<< <i>I have been thinking about sending in a few that would probably slabbed genuine by pcgs, not rare, just special. Does any have any graded by them, if so what do you think...image >>

Thanks for all the opinions. I try to weigh the pros, and cons with certain endeavers. I thought maybe it would better to have an actual grade on the slab, rather than genuine.image
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

"This got BB'd at NGC for planchet flaw. I was thinking ANACS at first but read they will not grade planchet flaws so I was wondering about DGS as well. "
    Is this a true statement? Sorry to question your integrity, but I've seen a CBH with a planchet flaw in a PCGS holder. Does it depend on the age and rarity of the coin?
    Paul
  • Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I looked at about 25 buffalo nickels in dgs holders on david lawrence website today. two thirds were overgraded, and some badly.
    Based upon what I saw today dgs=pci!! do not waste your time when you have pcgs, ngc, anacs, and icg. would someone else please look at the dgs graded buffs on their website and verify what i am saying here. buffnixx
    Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    I would regard them as raw coins if buying, heck they are not even in the blue sheet. IMO, they shot themselves in the foot using the old PCI slabs. Many did not hold PCI in high regard.

They are not considered as a valid grading service by the Bay nor accepted by Teletrade. So in my view they are simply blowing in the wind. We're talking MS 60 Bluebook or less on these.
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭
    I bought half a dozen cleaned and/or impaired proof Barbers in DGS slabs for a fire sale price. Although they were very conservatively graded, I would not buy more without another fire sale.
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    What gets me is that you all are talking about how the slab equals the price. Many big time dealers I know buy the coin and not the holder.

Just a thought.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What gets me is that you all are talking about how the slab equals the price. Many big time dealers I know buy the coin and not the holder. >>

That's heresy around these parts.

Though in reality, many people here would buy the coin -- but SELL the holder.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file