Home U.S. Coin Forum

She needs a trim job, reverse 12:00

DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
Trim and a way to get rid of fuzzys from the holder would be nice. Any Suggestions?
I really don't want to make physical contact with her. image

imageimage
“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC

Comments

• droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    tweezers and cuticle scissors, and a very steady hand.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • carscars Posts: 1,904
    fireimage
    Its all relative
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't get near it with a sharp pointy object. Too dangerous.

I'd probably leave it alone rather than risk a scratch. Scratches, like diamonds, are forever.
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is obviously just a fuzzy and is harmless except for imaging the piece, why bother risking damaging the medal because of some little thing?
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    Maybe Nair Ez zest remover will do the job.. Nice coin though, I like it.image
  • rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    canned air?
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?

• << <i>canned air? >>

Beat me to it! I concur. Compressed air!
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Personally, I wouldn't bother. You could try removing the coin, then cutting, but the felt might get messed up again when you push it back in. Looks like that was displaced when they pushed it in from the front/obverse. If you are going to clip anything (with the coin there, which I wouldn't do), you may at least want to slide a piece of paper or Mylar up under the fuzz to help protect the coin while you're cutting.

• << <i>canned air? >>

Very good idea!
  • BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nose hair clipper?
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    If it is connected-- just leave it you may make it worse. If it is just dust--blow it up.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like part of the lining in the case is starting to fray. It's not hurting anything so leave it alone.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Be careful with canned air, it's not necessarily pure and could contain tiny quantities of oils and solvents, possibly moisture. One of those tiny vacuums used for computer components might be good. Also they used to have these little squeeze bulbs to use a puff of air while cleaning SLR cameras, don't know how easy it would be to find one these days with the digital revolution. Good luck.

Edit: Found a link if anyone is interested in a squeeze bulb puffer for cleaning cameras. LINK
    They have a few models to choose from. Also they have compressed CO2, but it might be too strong (500-850 psi), but more importantly here is what they say about canned air:

"Aerosol cans containing ‘chlorinated’ liquid chemicals can easily ignite and have been linked to many studies by the EPA and OSHA concerning their harmful emissions".

Doesn't sound like something I'd personalty want to apply to a good coin.

LINK
  • tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    I'd personally take a card, something like a business card, and tuck the frays down along the edge of the coin so they aren't on the surface.
  • DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    Try one of these Text
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES

<< <i>I'd personally take a card, something like a business card, and tuck the frays down along the edge of the coin so they aren't on the surface. >>

Best idea so far.

• fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave the case original AKA don't trim the fuzz.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭✭
    leave it and live withit

resist the temptation!
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

<< <i>Leave the case original AKA don't trim the fuzz. >>

Good advice. When I fix things that aren't broken, I usually regret it.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file