Home U.S. Coin Forum

Crusty Busty Quarter, recent type purchase....

This one is a bit "darker" than I'm used to in my type set. Ok, so it's a LOT darker. Other than that, it is quite nice. Great strike and details. Still some remaining luster in fields and devices(though you have to angel the light to see it. I wonder if this coin was originally in a nicotine drenched environment?

All coins kept in safety deposit box.

Comments

• Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    Strike is nice, and I would put it in the AU53-55 range as far as wear is concerned. I'm not sure it has the luster to get an AU though...hard to see from the pics. A nice coin...I don't mind dark coins...it usually means they are original (but not always.)
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    great looking coin.

at least au58.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭
    she's meat-o-liscious! Lack of luster will factor but if those are original surfaces (and they appear to be to me), then she's likely a 53 - 55.
  • MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dig the reverse die cracks/breaks.
    Looks very nice & original to me.
  • Very nice.
  • Pics look too grainy to me for me to appreciate the coin properly, but I think it could potentially be a nice AU...
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

http://www.busthalfaddict.com
  • Thanks for the comments. There is some luster in the protected areas between the stars and lettering, as well as on the devices(bust face, neck, eagles feathers etc.). Other than that, I don't see much luster in the fields. There is just enough in the protected areas for a mild cartwheel effect.

I don't see any reason to believe the surfaces aren't original. There are no hairlines, though I suppose it could have been dipped years ago and possibly retoned in a nicotine rich environment(I'm guessing on that). Anyways, I had purchased it raw for my type set at a terrific price. Maybe I should send it in to be certified.
    All coins kept in safety deposit box.
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it. All details are sharp.
    My type of Type.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

Wow, that looks like a copper patina!!

I like the look.

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Nice type coin.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

Very nice look to it. I would keep it raw and place it in the type set as you first intended image
  • 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Great coin and I love the reverse die cracks.
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Yummy, I like chocolate. image

Very nice.
  • 1TwoBits1TwoBits Posts: 452 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice details and nice die cracks, it looks like the Browning-2 variety.
    Searching for bust quarters.....counterstamps, errors, and AU-MS varieties, please let me know if you can help.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file