Home U.S. Coin Forum

Where are the Modern Day Longacres, Barbers, Brenners, Morgans, et. al.

Sadly, I think that there are no modern day equivalents. Probably has not been any in over 50 years.

Has the ship set sail permanently for iconic coin engravers? I think so. Circulating Coinage simply "doesn't matter as much"
as it did 100 years ago when it symbolized the fabric and pride of our Nation. In some ways it bothers me that this is the case
but it seems unlikely that there is any going back.

Will there ever be a second renaissance of American coinage? Or, are we relegated to computer aided designs, low relief coins
and cartoonish designs?

What say you?

imageimage
Collector of Early 20th Century U.S. Coinage.
ANA Member R-3147111

Comments

• rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • 66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here >>

<< <i>computer aided designs >>

OneCent, I think they're all gone, at least in regards to circulating coinage.
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Has the ship set sail permanently for iconic coin engravers? I think so. >>

Me, too. The decent sculptors are probably doing medals and things that aren't as constricting as point-n-click, drag-n-drop coin designs. I couldn't imagine James Earle Fraser settling for having to bang out four flat, bug-eyed presidents each year or Cosmo Kramer sitting on a log.
  • partagaspartagas Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭
    Until we scrap all these antiquated and long overrun designs the next generation haven't arrived yet. The latest batch of coins are blah, and we need new coinage desperately. A new design commission will bring out the long overdue new breed of designers.
    If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around. Am I still wrong?
  • DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That ship has sailed along with paper money as well. Some of the old paper money is breathtaking.
    Doug
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    D Carr as linked above is a true artist. Fantastic designs Plus the guts to go put his work out himself.

Awesome, just Awesome. His work will always carry a premium.

I am an artist and I know true art when I see it.

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I often wonder the same thing. Our "new" coins are about as artistic as arcade tokens. This is why we have minted the buffalo nickel in silver and gold. The St. Gaudens and Walking Liberty Halves as recurring bullion designs. Is there no one out there that longs for something genuinely "new?" Something that will one day be considered a "classic?" Who in their right minds will heirloom one of these president coins to their next of kin???

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Have we run out of "ideas" or "idea people"?
    Andy

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file