Home U.S. Coin Forum

Phishingman or hacker using ebay sales list?

Odd email, lots of red flags waving. Not sure if its phishing scheme or just some malicious hacker looking to spread a virus.

Anyone elser receive this from the ebay system?
X'd out the actual web address presented in the email.

User details:
From User: outssl (0)
0.0% Positive Feedback
Member since Jun-29-09 in China
Activity with outssl (last 90 days): I have bid on 0 items from outssl
Activity with outssl (last 90 days): outssl has bid on 0 of my items

Dear walXXXXXXX,

Hi,I recently acquired a large collection of bust dollars from an old time collector.

Most are nice original pieces that have been off the market for many years.
WONDERFUL MY COINS !!! Please view the site( http://www.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX/1795coin/ )
GOOD LUCK!!1

- outssl

Comments

• joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no- and hope not to get it. I do get emails every so often that go-
    hi my name is john
    I wanted to know if you have any items like W2EWG43562SBVSDBGE%YE%YWWYW.com
    red flags allllllll around

and yes I wouldnt click on his link
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • rbfrbf Posts: 452 ✭✭
    Looks like a counterfeit seller targeting coin collectors/dealers directly. He's probably hoping you (or somebody) takes the bait and does an off-eBay transaction with him. That way, he can avoid having to set up a seller account, which means he's less likely to get banned from eBay. Sneaky!
  • WalmannWalmann Posts: 2,806

<< <i>Looks like a counterfeit seller targeting coin collectors/dealers directly. He's probably hoping you (or somebody) takes the bait and does an off-eBay transaction with him. That way, he can avoid having to set up a seller account, which means he's less likely to get banned from eBay. Sneaky! >>

Thought of this as well, but the web address he gave made me think that hacking may be a more likely goal.
    Contacted ebay to shut him down, despite the email copied in my messages on the ebay website, they required I email them a formal complaint in order for them to shut him down, even though he was offering tranaction(s) outside of the ebay system. Too much red tape , almost wonder if Ebay became so big and vital that the Feds took it over too.
  • YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    Walt, I have a block on my ebay.. Only USA ebay accounts are allowed... CHINA, MEXI,AFRICA,OR Man in the Moon, cannot contact my ebay acct.image
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a few unsolicited offers I've received since posting here on the boards image
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Hm.

WONDERFUL MY COINS has apparently been at work for some time.

Our own SportsModerator1 got one of these e-mails.

And here they are showing up on a coin website in Latvia
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Walt, I have a block on my ebay.. Only USA ebay accounts are allowed... CHINA, MEXI,AFRICA,OR Man in the Moon, cannot contact my ebay acct.image >>

how ya do dat?

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file