Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I have rejoined the force of gainfully employed.

It's new hire time for most school districts and I received two hire offers in my district of choice today. They're both great schools and I was/am a bit torn between the two because they each have many strengths. I think I've chosen the right school for me, one in which I will be the most effective teacher.

It's nice to know in a months time I'll be part of the faithful masses again. I'm ready.
Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com

Comments

• Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    Good stuff BoB. image
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    Congrats and Good luck
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    Congrats.............There are/were many of us who were or are frustrated about looking for jobs. I didnt land a great job about 3 months ago but at least
    its a job

Now all i need is to start losing the weight i put on while unemployed....image
    A collector of all things Braves
    Always looking for Chipper Jones cards.
    Im a very focused collector of cards from 1909 - 2012...LOL
  • Options
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! image
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Ross!

Good luck!!!!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Congrats! As a fellow buy back in the force it feels great! Nice Job!!!!!
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    Congrats, Ross! So how many cases of A&G did you buy yourself to celebrate? image
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    Congrats!
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    Hi Ross,

that's great news!

Congrats! image

PoppaJ
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Thank you gentlemen, I will be a chemistry teacher for 5 classes this year. I'm looking forward to the challenge.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thank you gentlemen, I will be a chemistry teacher for 5 classes this year. I'm looking forward to the challenge. >>

Congrats!! I hope you don't feel too much out of your "element"... OHHHHHHH!!!! (lol)

I'm not funny.
  • Options

<< <i>Thank you gentlemen, I will be a chemistry teacher for 5 classes this year. I'm looking forward to the challenge. >>

Was that your major in college?

I took inorganic, organic and biochemistry and don't remember a thing!

Good luck - that's sounds cool.

BTW - me and a lab partner almost blew up the lab trying to get a Grignard reaction to go - it wouldn't start - if memory serves - the solvent was ether - and we heated it - can't remember what the halogen was - I remember it had magnesium - we were idiots!!! image

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

Breaking Bad. image

Edit to add: Congrats!
    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

<< <i>Was that your major in college? >>

I'm a biology guy, but I was also fairly heavy on the chemistry. I was also offered three chemistry and two physics classes at another great school, but decided I wanted to stick to one subject as a first time teacher. Since both schools had all of the same pros and very few cons, I chose the environment in which I thought I could best serve the students.

I think both would have been a joy to work in, it was a tough decision.
  • Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    Congrats.

Maybe you can have your repeaters bust 1990 Topps wax.

My wife left HS teaching (physics) after our 2nd was born and landed in a college setting when she returned, same state benefits no behavior plans or parents this time around though.
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

Make the most of this opportunity.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,159
    That's terrific news! Congratulations!
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Congrats!!! nice to have a couple of options too. I'm quite anxious to start one of these threads myself one of these days image
  • Options

<< <i>Congrats.

Maybe you can have your repeaters bust 1990 Topps wax.

My wife left HS teaching (physics) after our 2nd was born and landed in a college setting when she returned, same state benefits no behavior plans or parents this time around though. >>

That would probably be considered cruel and unusual! I also see myself in the college/university setting one day, I taught bio labs in college and enjoyed it a lot.

<< <i>Make the most of this opportunity. >>

I certainly will, it's been a long while coming and I'm glad to be at this point. I spent a semester in night school and spending time at other high schools observing and aiding and I'm happy to put my work to practice.

Thanks again to everyone.
  • Options
    Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    Congrats BunchOBull! image

Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's no better feeling than the first day at a new job you've needed for quite some time. It's all downhill from there. image
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    Great news Ross!image Congrats!
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    I am so glad to hear that Ross..I know it must have been heck on you these past months..I hope this is the begining of many positives in your life.image
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Ross, does this mean you won't be asking me for money anymore?

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    Matt can I borrow some moneyimage 80 x 4.50 should do it just pm me your cc #
    and I will stop bothering you....
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    Nice work Ross. Congratulations.

Now, can you please help Mintacular get a job? Pretty Please??? image

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    LOLimage

You sound like my wife John image
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    great news Ross, congrats!!!
  • Options
    Matt, you won't hear another word from me! I don't want to stiffle the Emmitt collection any longer.

<< <i>I hope this is the begining of many positives in your life. >>

Thank you Felicia, me too! It seems like life was on pause for 8 months.

As for Mintacular, he'll be coming to a mall sports card show near you if he has his say in it!

Again, I appreciate the well wishes everyone.
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    Mintacular is going to be living in a van down by the river.

• Options
    scooperqprscooperqpr Posts: 438 ✭✭
    Well done a choice of jobs as well,you must have felt like a king. Great job a teacher molding the next generation,keep up the good work
  • Options
    Scoop,

It was certainly nice to have a choice for a change, but a very emotional decision as I felt compelled by both schools. I'm glad to move into the next stage. Thanks!
  • Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    NICE! Congrats Ross. Now go buy yourself some cards to celebrate image
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Ross, Congratulations, Nice to hear some positives.
  • Options
    Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the job! Great news
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great news Ross, congratulations.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Sounds great!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Congrats!
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    congrats!!!!

good luck
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    Congrats!!!! I am certain you will do a fine job.
  • Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭
    Congrats! That's great that you found a teaching job when most districts are laying off. I will be entering my 5th year as substitute since Social Study jobs in OH are limited.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Ross. image
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options
    Before heading to bed, I want to say thank you to those I've missed and reply to a few.

Mike, your day is coming!

As for buying cards to celebrate Chris, only after I've sold a few first. After we get our house this fall, I do plan to get a decent mid-grade Clemente RC though. It was my goal for this year, but things obviously didn't happen as planned.

dfr52, we're lucky in that several hundred kids have moved to nearly every school zone in the district, so 4 or 5 science positions opened up across the board. It's the benefit of being in a Houston suburb, however the smallest high school in the district is probably around 2500 students, so there are plenty of obstacles as well.

Good night all!
  • Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭
    2,500 is an amazing number for the "smallest" high school. Hope you have a great 1st year!image

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options
    Piman58Piman58 Posts: 814 ✭✭
    Ross, congrats on getting the job. Hope it goes well with the 5 chemistry classes.
    Last year I taught one AP Calculus and five sections of Algebra Two. By the end of the day
    I was glad to have the other prep. Next year it will be three different preps. You'll find that
    if you enjoy your job any situation is great.

Charles
  • Options
    From one teacher to another ... congratulations!
    There's a hole in my head where the rain comes in.
  • Options
    Wow, that's a large district if the smallest high school is 2,500 kids. That's a recipe for students getting lost in the system. Even in New York City, we have plenty of smaller high schools.
    Congrats on getting the job. They put a hiring freeze on here in NYC, which means they're only hiring from within to fill vacancies from retirements and departures. They'll take from people who got excessed from their positions due to budget cuts and use them to fill open spots. Tough time to be a student who just graduated college in NYC this year, as they aren't hiring from the new teacher pool.
    Word of advice, I don't know if you have taught full time yet or not, but enroll in whatever 403(b) / tax-deferred savings program your school district offers, especially if they have a stable value fund (which means the investment has a guaranteed interest rate return). The earlier you get started, the better off you will be in retirement.

<< <i>Before heading to bed, I want to say thank you to those I've missed and reply to a few.

Mike, your day is coming!

As for buying cards to celebrate Chris, only after I've sold a few first. After we get our house this fall, I do plan to get a decent mid-grade Clemente RC though. It was my goal for this year, but things obviously didn't happen as planned.

dfr52, we're lucky in that several hundred kids have moved to nearly every school zone in the district, so 4 or 5 science positions opened up across the board. It's the benefit of being in a Houston suburb, however the smallest high school in the district is probably around 2500 students, so there are plenty of obstacles as well.

Good night all! >>

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats Ross.....Good teachers are something that we can never have enough of!
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

<< <i>Wow, that's a large district if the smallest high school is 2,500 kids. That's a recipe for students getting lost in the system. >>

It certainly is. I chose to work at a school with slightly lower testing scores than the school I turned down. Were talking 73rd out of ~1400 as compared to 28th out of ~1400 in the state, so no great change as their respective testing scores are both in the 90 percentile across the board. Part of my decision was influenced by the fact that the school I chose is older, more established, and seems to have a better sense of community. The other is young, fast, and extremely structured...very much like being inside of my private boarding school again. I like driven students, but some levels of competition only further the chances of a student being lost in institutions of this size. Both schools have been on the US News list of best high schools, without fail, every year. The school I'll be at jumped up to around 1000th this year though. The other school is around the 500th mark. There is certainly a lot of competition between the two, but, again, I see myself doing the greatest good where I chose to work.

As for good teachers, I know my content, I'm passionate, and I just hope that translates into being able to inspire my students to learn.
  • Options
    Teaching - one of the single most important jobs in the country!

I was a bio major also Ross - didn't have the chem skills to do what you're doing - but I'm good at blowing things up - so just call me.

As it goes for teaching - if they allow you to present your notes to the students in syllabus form so they don't have to feverishly write everything down....they'll love you!!!!

I wasn't smart enough to go to graduate school so I went to dental instead - and the volumes of info we had to copy every class was totally crazy.

Good luck again! image
    mike
    Mike