Home U.S. Coin Forum

Silver Toning on a Lincoln Wheat

I recently purchased a MS67 1935 Lincoln penny. It was certified by PCGS. The reverse has what looks like some silver toning. I have only been collecting for a couple of years but this is new to me. Could someone shed some light on this. Thank you, Legger.

Comments

• DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

Pics?imageimage
    Becky
  • MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pics would be better, but I have seen some copper cents with silver looking edge toning.
    They were stored in tinfoil makeshift rolls for a very long time from some old collector.
  • clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    I have seen some lincolns tone in such a way as to turn almost silver looking, most that I did see were from the 30's.
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I have seen some lincolns tone in such a way as to turn almost silver looking, most that I did see were from the 30's. >>

Somewhere I have a nice UNC clipped 1935 cent with exactly the type of toning you are describing, it almost looks like silver and copper swirled together. I don't think I have good pics of the coin but if I find any I'll post them here.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • I have a 42-D MS66RD that has a weird silver spot on it about 3-4 mm wide. I kind of don't like it, but I think it's natural.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it possible this copper was dipped in old coin dip that had been used to dip many silver coins where some of the silver disolved in the dip?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• I have a 43-s that is the reverse.... edge toning in coppery red (shown below) was told it might have been copper plated and worn off... so yours may have been mercury coated & worn off.... ?????

• oxy8890oxy8890 Posts: 1,416
    Legger,

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, no one will be able to assist (other than speculation) until we see some good pictures.

Good luck!
    Best Regards,

Rob

"Those guys weren't Fathers they were...Mothers."

• ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have several Lincoln cents with gorgeous silver toning - here are photos - does yours look like any of these?

p.s. Welcome to the boards!
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome.
    May we call you Lee? image

peacockcoins

• DropdaflagDropdaflag Posts: 760 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome! This one has spots of silver toning.

• My coin looks very similar to your 1941. I do not know how to attach a photo. Can you help or lead me to some kind of tutorial? Thanks, Tom.
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Took me a few days to find this coin in the safe: 1976-s proof cent with silver rim toning:
    bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), [email protected]
  • MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    Here's another Lincoln with some silver toning. It's a PCGS MS64 RB
  • I have seen this type toning before, and it's actually a very light, but blue silver toning, and can often appear "silver" in color. Most toning on coins occur do to how the metals mixed, on a molecular level, on any given planchet. Several 1930 date cents show this mixed metal appearance, with streaks and odd toning. I have see a few from 1919 and 1920s also. Cents are a mixture of 5% tin and zinc, and if the zinc or tin mixes improperly and is close to or on the surface layer of the coin, it will obtain a "silver" luster. Sorry, I can't be more technical because I'm not a metallurgist.
  • I guess this one would qualify as silver toned or is this more silver-corroded?? image
    Phantom of the Opera aka Zorro Abe image
    (got it in a bulk of Weats from a Currency forum friend - thanx Omega if you're reading thisimage

imageimage

R.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file