Home U.S. Coin Forum

The little problem coin that could...finally find a home

astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was sharing a story of one of my problem coins with the students in the ANA class the other night and thought I would tell its tale here.

I picked up a neat off-center nickel struck on an incomplete (clip) planchet a couple of years back that I wanted to use for the error class I was teaching. In my haste to get a dozen or so errors slabbed, I pulled the coin and packaged it, but did not look at it closely beforehand. The submission went off to NGC (they are pretty inexpensive for slabbing errors) and I anxiously (okay, not that anxiously) awaited its return. It comes back in a body bag for PVC. I looked at the coin and sure enough, on the reverse was a mountain of PVC. Had I actually looked at the coin before sending it off, it would have been obvious. Bummer...a waste of time and money and lesson learned.

So, I then decided to send it in to NCS (along with a dozen or so other body-bagged coins) to have it slabbed so I could use it in the problem coin class. Since I prefer to used slabbed problem coins for ease in handling and NCS slabbing is fairly cheap, it was on its way. So I wait...again, not too anxiously. Within a few weeks I open my NCS package and what do I see? Yep, my little PVC nickel was not in an NCS holder, but it was in an NGC holder as MS-63! And, of course, I am hit with an NCS fee AND and NGC fee! image

This is classic! NGC body bags the coin. NCS reviews it, thinks it good enough for an NGC holder. NGC then reviews again, grades it and slabs it as problem free! Oh, and what about that mountain of PVC, you ask? Don't worry, it's still there!

The coin is the lead example in my class when I talk about TPGs getting it wrong.

Lane

Numismatist Ordinaire
See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces

Comments

• adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    There may be something to the "were they laid last night" theory of coin grading.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cripes!
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    Cool coin, but yeah that booger on the reverse sure is distracting image
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    imageimage
    Becky
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That is just too weird. I was expecting the story to end on a positive note, where NCS removed the gunk and then it was sent off to ngc for grading. image >>

But the story did end on a positive note. I have a great coin for the classroom. That's much more valuable to me than having the coin "fixed."

My glass is always half full!

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    I am glad it all worked out, but it sure looks bad for NGC for their series of mistakes, especially the last one.

Congratulations!
    Tom

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure they didn't remove the PVC and what you are seeing is a stain the PVC caused on the coin's surface?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Thanks for sharing. Absolutely hilarious! Too bad about all the fees, but great story for your class.
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Are you sure they didn't remove the PVC and what you are seeing is a stain the PVC caused on the coin's surface? >>

Yep...the coin is identical to when it was submitted. Besides, even if that was a coin that had been "curated," it certainly isn't worthy of an NGC slab.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps this grading was done on 'beer friday' afternoon? image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file