Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

should i be nervous?

ive been a huge lurker on this board, but i finally decided to get another account (i forgot my old pass & email lol)
anyways

recently my grandfather visited. me, hardly ever seeing him, showed him my coin collection in hopes of impressing him. we discussed coins and how theyre graded and valued and whatnot and the talk turns to his colection. as it turns out, when my grandmother was pregnant with my father, she collected coins. so he tells me how she would just sit and look at coins all day. so out of the blue he asks me if a 1916-d dime is of any value. the dime of all time!! so of course i tell him its a very valuable coin. i showed him pcgs prices, ebay and the rest and he was getting excited.
apparantly my grandmother bought him one back in the sixties as a birthday present.
but
hes recently invited me to see the rest of his collection that hes told me about. gold, silver, double eagles you name it.
ive only heard about the rest.
so what im worried about is....

my grandfather, not knowing about coins too well, has built up some debt
i dont want him to sell the 16-d merc or any of his collection because he has some other great coins just sitting in a closet somewhere most definitly raw and never seen sunlight for a decent 20 years. plus he lives in a small town where nobody locks their doors.
he said he wouldnt sell it but im not sure =/

a great family collection would be amazing to have, but its not exactly mine yet i dont want to see it go. im extremly nervous and afraid to ask him for it, its his coin collection and its his decision but how many times will you have the chance for something like this?? i would hate to see it go but i would feel guilty if he just gave it to me.

comments on my problems? =0

Comments

• Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    If he's really in debt he might ask you to help liquidate it for him. Or he might see the gleam in your eye and leave it to you in his will. All I can say is, if he does want to sell the key dates GET THEM CERTIFIED FIRST! My two cents. Good luck!
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    i would feel guilty if he just gave it to me.

The only reason you'd have to feel guily is if you snuck into his house and stole the stuff.

Ray

• Options
    oh yea, i was planning on getting them graded/certified
    but i dont know. if he passes it will probably go to my grandmother and i have no clue what she would do with them.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If he's not getting any enjoyment out of them then selling them to pay off debt might be a prudent thing to do.
  • Options
    It's his collection and it's his decision whether or not he decides to sell them. You should educate him and make sure if he decide to sell that he gets what the coins are worth. Don't take this the wrong way, but you come off as if you are more concerned about what happens to the coins than your grandfather being financially taken care of... you haven't even seen the collection and yet you're licking your lips at the thought. I would never even consider accepting valuables from a relative that certainly appears to need money, not holier than thou, just a family man though and through.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i would feel guilty if he just gave it to me.

The only reason you'd have to feel guily is if you snuck into his house and stole the stuff.

Ray >>

...........image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    you haven't even seen the collection and yet you're licking your lips at the thought. I would never even consider accepting valuables from a relative that certainly appears to need money

thats exactly how i don't want to come off as o_0

i would definitly be sad to see it go but like i said its his coins, his decision. i cant change that
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coins do not currently belong to you and you should not ignore the present in order to focus on some future that would involve the coins handed down to you. If your grandparents have debt and are willing to liquidate their coins then your best course would be to be actively involved in the inventory and evaluation of the coins as well as the submission of pieces that deserve certification and help with the liquidation to whatever extent you can provide. It is very likely that while your grandparents may have some individually valuable coins, on a relative basis, they really will not have any great rarities on an absolute basis. The collection in fact may have more value to them as part of its history than its fair market value.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    I agree with KlectorKid
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>its his coins, his decision. i cant change that >>

Bingo.
  • Options
    RobbRobb Posts: 2,034
    You need to emotionally detach yourself from these coins. You are low on the totem pole.

1. Grandfather
    2. Grandmother
    3. Your parents, uncles and aunts and their spouses.
    4. You and cousins

Let your interest in coins in general be well known to your grandfather but do not push and pry.
    imageRIP
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    I'm glad you're not my grandchild. -Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    BithrateBithrate Posts: 555 ✭✭

<< <i>It's his collection and it's his decision whether or not he decides to sell them. You should educate him and make sure if he decide to sell that he gets what the coins are worth. Don't take this the wrong way, but you come off as if you are more concerned about what happens to the coins than your grandfather being financially taken care of... you haven't even seen the collection and yet you're licking your lips at the thought. I would never even consider accepting valuables from a relative that certainly appears to need money, not holier than thou, just a family man though and through. >>

+1!
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree with KlectorKid >>

I thought this was Curly speaking, he has the same icon and down to earth wisdom. KlectorKid is right on. Help your grandfather evaluate his collection and if there are specific coins of interest to you, offer him fair market value for them. Certainly if he needs money, liquidation of the collection seems the way to go. BTW - welcome again to the forum.
    Paul
  • Options
    =/
    i dont really apreciate that comment there pressuan

really, you guys are absolutly right i was just voicing my concerns. if he needs the money, fine its his. i never stated anything should be mine, im sorry if i didnt make this clear. i understand its his. i'll help him out any way i can and ill have no problem with it.

its really dejecting im all of the sudden some money grubbing little brat. its my grandfather for petes sake!
    really thats why im nervous bacause i dont want to come off as that

• Options
    Look at the coins first in hand then decide...a bird in the hand etc....
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I would think it's enough to let you see, catalog and maybe even photograph the set.

It's ok to ask him what his plans are, if that's to sell then so be it. At that point you could offer to help sell it right, including getting the better stuff graded and finding the right buyers.
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>=/
    i dont really apreciate that comment there pressuan

really, you guys are absolutly right i was just voicing my concerns. if he needs the money, fine its his. i never stated anything should be mine, im sorry if i didnt make this clear. i understand its his. i'll help him out any way i can and ill have no problem with it.

its really dejecting im all of the sudden some money grubbing little brat. its my grandfather for petes sake!
    really thats why im nervous bacause i dont want to come off as that >>

You've done the right thing coming to the forum for advice. I bet we all have dreamed about a grandfather with an extensive collection "that might be passed down to me". These are natural feelings so don't be embarassed by them. Do what is right and the world will be yours.
    Paul
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing that you will learn is that the written word can be very unforgiving in that we have no other context to put your words aside from your post. We do not have inflection, tone of voice, body language or familiarity with you, so your words will stand on their own. Proper punctuation and sentences can help to express yourself better and can clear up any misinterpretation of your posts. Take the following text from your initial post-

"a great family collection would be amazing to have, but its not exactly mine yet i dont want to see it go. im extremly nervous and afraid to ask him for it, its his coin collection and its his decision but how many times will you have the chance for something like this??"

The lack of punctuation around the word "yet" allows this to be read in more than one way and this may lead to a less than flattering impression on your part.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    sorry
    absolutly my bad.
    if i wasnt clear, ll try to be in the future.

just forget about the post anyways, more people seem to be into flaming than helping.

so im sorry if i offended anybody, i know who not to ask next time.
  • Options
    Not a single person flamed you.

You are coming across as treating your grandfather as a lottery ticket. You admit to not seeing or talking to the man very often yet you feel entitled to his collection.
    imageRIP
  • Options

<< <i>It's his collection and it's his decision whether or not he decides to sell them. You should educate him and make sure if he decide to sell that he gets what the coins are worth. Don't take this the wrong way, but you come off as if you are more concerned about what happens to the coins than your grandfather being financially taken care of... you haven't even seen the collection and yet you're licking your lips at the thought. I would never even consider accepting valuables from a relative that certainly appears to need money, not holier than thou, just a family man though and through. >>

<< <i>Not a single person flamed you.

You are coming across as treating your grandfather as a lottery ticket. You admit to not seeing or talking to the man very often yet you feel entitled to his collection. >>

• Options
    All i want to say is welcome to the forum.
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • Options

<< <i>Not a single person flamed you.

You are coming across as treating your grandfather as a lottery ticket. You admit to not seeing or talking to the man very often yet you feel entitled to his collection. >>

I don't view npquaker as being greedy or being "entitled" to the collection. What I see is someone who wants his family heritage to be preserved, and npquaker hopes to be the eventual "keeper of the coins." In other words, I don't see npquaker as one who would take the coins, sell them, and buy himself a new car.

I'm not sure exactly what the family financial situation, and I'm not going to get into that. I like collecting coins, but I also know that the coins can be a fairly valuable resource of money should I ever need to sell. I dunno whether grandfather needs to sell the coins for money, but if he does, he should make informed decisions. Or maybe grandfather is just happy at hearing of the potential value of the coins, so his heirs will be well taken care of too.

• Options
    thanks mike.
    at least some people can understand what im trying to say. i have valuable coins my grandfather gave me when i was 3. i still have tham and always will. i was seeing these as something to add to my stuff to remember him by.

but again a apologize for not being clear. i think mike hit it dead on and im sorry i came off the wrong way to others, so lets consider this matter closed.

• Options
    To remember him by? The man is still alive and walking around...
    imageRIP
  • Options

<< <i>To remember him by? The man is still alive and walking around... >>

but the fact is, everybody dies, and it is more likely than not that the grandfather will precede the OP in death by a significant length of time.
  • Options

plus ive only seen him about 6 times in my entire life?
  • Options

<< <i>

but the fact is, everybody dies, and it is more likely than not that the grandfather will precede the OP in death by a significant length of time. >>

Thank you, Captain Obvious. I did not recognize you without your cape.

All that I'm suggesting is that it appears that the OP is selfishly conjuring an emotional attachment to the coin collection.
    imageRIP
  • Options

<< <i>

plus ive only seen him about 6 times in my entire life? >>

That's my point. Use the coins as a venue to better get to know the man.
    imageRIP
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478

<< <i>That's my point. Use the coins as a venue to better get to know the man. >>

I would agree with this. It seems you found something that connects you to your grandfather. Take advantage of that to get to know him better and build a relationship.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    yea. i know.
    reading my post now it does look like i was trying to get the coins and it was the oppsite of what i was trying to convey
    it all goes back to my unclarity, and im sorry.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

but the fact is, everybody dies, and it is more likely than not that the grandfather will precede the OP in death by a significant length of time. >>

Thank you, Captain Obvious. I did not recognize you without your cape.

All that I'm suggesting is that it appears that the OP is selfishly conjuring an emotional attachment to the coin collection. >>

Of course it's obvious, but people tend to ignore the obvious. That's why people do stupid things. Besides, your "lottery ticket" comment seems to imply more than just an emotional attachment, but a financial attachment.
  • Options
    Good lord-more flaming of a Newbie and yes I read flaming into some the responses to the OP and therefore my perception is my reality regardless of the responders intent! It's no wonder that new posters do not last long here. By the way welcome to the insane asylum. image
    Charter member of CA, Coinaholics Anonymous-6/7/2003
    Kewpie Doll award-10/29/2007
    Successful BST transactions with Coinboy and Wondercoin.
  • Options
    glad to join the ranks of the mentally unfit =)
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Parb!

Rogaine plated mallet!

Welcome to the forums!

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

While it wasn't obvious at first, it is obvious now that you aren't some heartless ba$tard waiting for your poor old gramps to expire. Since that is now clearly out of the way, I agree with previous replies that you should just be the caring grandson that you are and continue to share in your mutual enjoyment of coins with your gramps and whatever happens after that will happen. Hey, and welcome to the forum! image

On another point: I thought KlectorKid was Curly, too, based on the avatar and tone............does Curly know about this? image
  • Options
    You should spend some time with your G'pa and help him evaluate his coins. If it turns out he really has some coins with significant value then you should help him get them out of the closet and into a SD box.
    1969s WCLR-001 counterclash

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file