Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

France Ecu D'or au Dauphine Francois I

My latest purchase:

France Ecu D'or au Dauphine Francois I, type 1e

"Francis I (French: François Premier) (12 September 1494 – 31 March 1547), was crowned king of France in 1515 in the cathedral at Reims and reigned until 1547.

Francis I is considered to be France's first Renaissance monarch. His reign saw France make immense cultural advances. He was a contemporary of Suleiman the Magnificent of the Ottoman Empire, as well as of Henry VIII of England and of Holy Roman Emperor Charles V, his great rivals."
Description from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_I_of_France

Écu d'or du Dauphine, n.d. (1515-1547). Dauphine Arms, one dolphin and one lis in each angle. Rv. Floreate cross.

Comments

• Options
    BBQnBLUESBBQnBLUES Posts: 1,803
    Beautiful coin !!! Thanks for sharing.

BTW, my Sterling flatware pattern is "Francis 1st" ha
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hell yeah!
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    I Love it !!!!
  • Options
    coinmickeycoinmickey Posts: 767 ✭✭
    Very nice Ecu d'Or...and some great history as well...image
    Rufus T. Firefly: How would you like a job in the mint?

Chicolini: Mint? No, no, I no like a mint. Uh - what other flavor you got?

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lovely original!
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow!

Lovely piece.
  • Options
    BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Congrats, that's a very cool coin.image
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice coin and I enjoy the connection to Scotland, he was the father of Madeleine who was James V's first queen, and the grandfather of Francis II, Queen Mary's first husband.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Thanks all.
    I think French hammered gold coins are often overlooked and seem more affordable then their British counterparts.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet!

The dolphins really add character. I once had a Francis I ecu d'or but it was "aux soleil", with sunbursts- alas, no dolphins.

Francis I gave Leonardo da Vinci a job. It was certainly an interesting time in history, and Nostradamus was alive in France around that time.

The last time I went out metal detecting (back in April), I found a curious silver button which had the crest of Francis I of France, and his salamander symbol, with the inscription FRANCISC-DG-FRANCOR-REX.

How strange is that, I ask you? Yes, the French were here in colonial days, but in the 18th century, not the 16th! The button is of course later, from the 19th century, but I can't figure out why it would have had the seal of Francis I on it.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.