Home Metal Detecting
Options

Anyone else interested in searching private residences, but worried about leaving little yellow patc

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
I'd love to search some local houses around here but am worried that I'd kill the grass. So, I'm thinking of searching in the fall before the grass dies anyway... Am I paranoid, or is this a concern?

Comments

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's why I use a screw diver. Probe carefully so as not to leave nics in coins. Fall and winter are a better time if you don't want to leave spots.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Maybe consider carrying around a small spray bottle of Miracle Grow and water to spray on the dig spots when you finish? I've never had major issue with grass dying, though I generally cut only a horseshoe plug to keep some of the root system intact.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    demodiggerdemodigger Posts: 1,012
    i used to hunt houses, but only looked for the the ones with dirt yards. also looked for yards that were just weeds and/or dying grass.
  • Options
    Try to cut a big plug that goes down past the roots before you tear it off. I try to cut a plug probably six to seven inches around and maybe five to six inches deep. You may also want to try when the ground has a little moisture in it. Practice in your yard and see what it takes to avoid leaving dead grass. I think you will do very well if you can find some older residences from before the 1940s...Good Luck!
    Holes-in-One
    1. 7-17-81 Warrenton GC Driver 310 yards 7th Hole (Par 4)
    2. 5-22-99 Warrenton GC 6 iron 189 yards 10th Hole
    3. 7-23-99 Oak Meadow CC 5 iron 180 yards 17th Hole
    4. 9-19-99 Country Lake GC 6 iron 164 yards 15th Hole
    5. 8-30-09 Country Lake GC Driver 258 yards 17th Hole (Par 4)

Collector of Barber Halves, Commems, MS64FBL Frankies, Full Step Jeffersons & Mint state Washington Quarters
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If all else fails,carry a few cans of green spray paint with youimage
  • Options
    Don't cut plugs. Get good at pinpointing your target. Then use a strong flat blade digging knife (like a Lesche) to slice an upside down V above your target.
    First cut starts above your target and angles down and away from you. Second cut goes in above target and down towards you.
    After you make each cut, push the handle front and back a bit make the slot bigger before pulling the knife out. This will leave you with a dirt slot at ground level you can dig into with your knife to pull out/probe your target. Stomp down to close up slot when done.

It also helps if hunting yards to invest in a handheld pinpointer. Results in less digging and quicker retrieval.
    "A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs