Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is it just Summertime or is the Market just Dead

7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
The coin market has seemed to take a early hiatus this year, the economy must be weighing in heavy, and any money scraped together must be heading elsewhere.......

Nothing seems to be moving......

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,966 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the extreme lack of viable alternative investments, the coin market still has some life, at least the best coins do.

Some checking accounts are now paying 15/100 of 1 percent interest. Three month FDIC insured CD's are paying 1.1 percent.

The Chrysler and GM bankruptcies have exposed just how meaningless the term "secured" is. (It's much like what happened to the gold clauses in bonds in 1933.)

Real estate is still looking for its bottom.

There has been no significant reform in the securities industry. Do you trust anything your stockbroker says?
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Actually, the economy is undecided if we are stabilizing

or if we are on the verge of another major downturn.

Perhaps the coin market is exhibiting the same doubts

for the future.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Legends had their best month ever (or was it the best June ever?) per the June 27th legendcoin.com commentary. Buyers are coming out...and they expect a solid July.
    Legend Market Report - June 27th

High grade gold with a cac sticker seems to be in vogue...
    Very Positive BST Experience with: guitarwes, ibzman350, jmcu12, Bamafan27, OnlyGoldIsMoney
    Reference: Coin Links
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>With the extreme lack of viable alternative investments, the coin market still has some life, at least the best coins do.

Some checking accounts are now paying 15/100 of 1 percent interest. Three month FDIC insured CD's are paying 1.1 percent.

The Chrysler and GM bankruptcies have exposed just how meaningless the term "secured" is. (It's much like what happened to the gold clauses in bonds in 1933.)

Real estate is still looking for its bottom.

There has been no significant reform in the securities industry. Do you trust anything your stockbroker says? >>

Do you have one? Alas, if he would have only gotten me out sooner last year.

Recently, my broker told me to buy CVX at 64, CL at 59, FDX at 50, APA at 72, PG at 50, KO at 42 1/2, EWZ at 45, UNP at 46, and INTC at 14. Good dividend payers.

But he also told me to sell AMX at 31 and RIMM at 47.

Among other things, I think coins are being weighed down by consignments to dealers.....what good dealer needs to buy when they can park nice stuff in their inventory on consignment, thus we lose their marketmaking.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    I just shorted the S&P 500 so look for a big up day tomorrow. I'm a little unconvinced of this whole bailout thing.

Bought some more MS Certified Coins and Gold and Silver so look for those to head south promptly.
    NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    It's always slow during the summer. The current recession is making it look worse, as usual.
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    It's been busy as heck over here.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The coin market has seemed to take a early hiatus this year, the economy must be weighing in heavy, and any money scraped together must be heading elsewhere.......

Nothing seems to be moving...... >>

I've purchased more coins in the past month than I have in almost the past 12. Mostly large cents, but just got a wonderful FEC today.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options

"It's been busy as heck over here. "

Yeah, I can tell. Most of the Early Birds never make it to the CRO site so I can take a look see. Not complaining, just a fact. image
    NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"It's been busy as heck over here. "

Yeah, I can tell. Most of the Early Birds never make it to the CRO site so I can take a look see. Not complaining, just a fact. image >>

So true. How do we get the Early, Early Bird? image
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's been busy as heck over here. >>

just because you two only buy and sell the best stuff
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I bought a heck of a lot of unc common date morgans, peace, washingtons, mercs, lincolns, walkers at melt 2 weeks ago. I have resold the bulk at good profit to me since i was in them for so little but man it would have been a bloodbath if i had paid what i thought was fair market value and tried to sell them.

I can buy over 10k face huge group of UNC Lincoln Memorials and Lincoln wheats at well back of bid and from what i have seen lately makes me question doing it. I kind of just want to do it for the thrill of the deal but i may have to sit on some of the better stuff for a while.

Now that i said that, every coin i have bought for my core collection over the last few months has cost me dearly. I feel that i may have paid 10 to 15 percent less than i would have paid 1 year ago. I was hoping the market would be more buyer friendly but i have not seen it in the coins i want to own but the blah blah common stuff does not sell well on ebay at the moment.

I think there is some good deals out there in the 2k and up segment but i do not play there often and i think that area may still tumble as far as my money goes. Around these forums i am not a good coin collector because i will not pay more for a coin than i feel i have a 90 percent chance that i can sell it tommorow for the same or more than i paid.

Great coins will still bring good money, top notch real estate is still selling, and some stocks are still doing okay. It is just that very little qualifies as the top as compared to years past. I pay my bills with rent property and i was hoping to add another 20 to 30 units and so far i have not bought ANY rentals this year. I was hoping to find a good deal on a small starter house this year to rent out for a year or 2 and then hand the keys over to my son and i have not found any worth looking at yet in my area. Financing is not the problem, locating the property is for me. I hope this changes shortly.

As far as i am concerned i do not see anything improving for a few years, everything is getting more messed up daily with nothing to correct the mess.

The ONLY AREA i see any good deals in is the used car market. If you have cash you can find some KILLER deals.

I am a buyer if and when i can find it, wether it be coins, real estate etc.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    The market sucks right now, Just sold a roll of indians f to xf for 50.00 dlvd , I paid 55.00 for the roll 12 yrs ago, and 3 rolls of buffalos w/full dates for an avg of 14.00 a roll dlvd., I guess hype is the best because I see some power seller avg about 20 a roll for pig in a poke half with dates the others with half or no dates, claiming unsearched , from now on I guess screw telling the buyer what is in the roll just say hey unsearched this roll of buffalos or mercurys might have a 16-d or a 18/17d overdate. What a joke . I will start taking the barnum and bailey approach a Sucker born every minute!
    PS sold a roll of mercs for less than 10X face all with full dates, most of the roll was pre 1930 so my new policy will be ?

Hey, my great grandpappy just passed dont know crap about coins he collected these lincoln pennies since 1907 unsearched some have wheats some have something else, also have some silver pre 1965 nickels maybe 1912-s or 1913 v nuckeles, bank rolls (from some bank) this might be your lucky day to get a 1909svdb or 55 DD, but I know nothing about coins so I will start the auction a 99 cents and my cousin Ike shillbidder might bid on these. NO RESERVE

Can anyone tell I am in a dark Phycotic depressed mood. Just kidding NOT

PS: just in from china (my uncle just passed and I got what was left) anybody want some rare trade dollars?
  • Options

<< <i> Do you trust anything your stockbroker says? >>

I married her so there must be some trust in there somewhere.....................image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file