Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Anyone collect Mercury Dime double dies? - Information needed

Raw double die 1940-S Mercury Dime found - Estimated grade MS66-67FB. Bands very full and strong. Beautiful obverse that is rainbow toned deep iridescent forest green and orange with magenta and teal speckles. Coin is well struck and obvious variety.

Obverse: Consists of doubling on the "1940" date, "In God We Trust", "LIBERTY" and the designer's initials "AW". Liberty has an upper “broken nose.” and the coin has multiple die striations and/or bold die gouges all across the obverse and reverse (see photo of obverse taken from a informational web site given below, which is somewhat like my find).

Reverse: No doubling recognized, but the bands are full, and the surface is very clean and lustrous, even with the striations.

So far, information on the coin was obtained from http://www.stellacoinnews.com/index.php/mercury-dimes-ch-6-1940-s/ and the Cherrypicker's Guide.

The Coneca site was not helpful (maybe I just did not search correctly). Anyone have any suggestions as to how I may find out more about which DDO variety that I'm looking at? Also, will PCGS grade and authenticate error coins, do you know?

Comments

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Can you post an image of the doubling?

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options

<< <i>Can you post an image of the doubling? >>

Not yet - but planning to have a photo taken this week to post.
  • Options
    Duane,

There are six ddo 1940-S listed in the Treasure Hunting guide. Once you get the images posted I can look and see if it is a known variety.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options

<< <i>

Not yet - but planning to have a photo taken this week to post. >>

Tony,

Will do - thank you very much! Duane
  • Options

fcloud- Included herein are the images below of the 1940-S Mercury Dime DDO for your expert eye..... Hopefully, you can see a full double of most of the obverse. The photographer could only get the "L" "T" and "Y" in LIBERTY with clarity, so that's what I've sent along. But parts of the the wings, the designers initials and the date are also doubled as it appears in-hand. Clearly, the nose is 'broken' and one can see die gouges in front and back of the Mercury device portrait. What do you think I have here?

Thank you in advance.

Duane

Edited to add: better first photo

• Options
    Duane,

Take a look at my image here. Look at the way the point on the left side of the one (serif) is doubled. It has two distinct points. Look at the point of the nine and you will see the same split on the point of the 9. This is what you need to look for on the date of your 1940-S. The T and Y on your coin are die bounce and not doubling. With that said, that doesn't automatically mean the coin isn't a double die. Check for doubling like on my image below.

Your coin has great color - Wow!

• Options
    Here is another one with nice clear splits.

• Options
    Thank you! The coin is with the photographer but I will check the date carefully when it comes back. I see exactly what you are referring. I think that the serifs in the date do split like you show, but need to confirm.

Thanks so much once again for the compliment on the coin as well as the time you are taking to instruct me.

Sincerely,

Duane