Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

A FEW STATS ABOUT THE TOP THREE MPL SET REGISTRIES

I have just reviewed the Set Registries listed for Lincoln Cents, Matte Proof Lincolns (1909 thru 1916). Many of us here really enjoy this series and, in fact, Kevin Flynn recently wrote a new book about these amazingly rare nine coins. Less than 16 thousand were minted and probably less than a half of that amount exist today. What is even more amazing is that the gentlemen holding the top three positions in the ALL Time listing AND the Current listing have been long time members of the forums here and contribute their knowlege and information to all of us. I thought it would be appropriate to start a thread to point out some of the statistics each of them have achieved with their Matte Proof Lincoln Set Collections.

The all time and current #1 set is owned by Gerry. Since he has not publically stated his last name I will simply say he owns the Thomas Irwin Collection which has a Set Rating of 69.000 out of a best possible 69.158.

The all time and current #2 set is owned by Stewart Blay. He is in the "Hall of Fame" and is universally known for his copper coin collection of early copper, Indian cents and Lincoln cents. His MPL collection has a Set Rating of 68.789.

The all time and current #3 set is owned by Doug Wright. He has been building his set for a number of years and while his collection is not quite as amazing as Gerry and Stewart, it has the potential to get there in the future IMHO. His MPL collection has a Set Rating of 68.421.

So why have I singled out these three sets? Because they represent the only MPL's in the PCGS Set Registry that are 100% complete, are 100% red and have all nine coins in grades 65 and above. I recognize that many here enjoy colorful MPL's and there are many very beautiful red/brown and brown examples in the Set Registry, but historically the hobby has felt that the red examples are more valuable and that view has been adopted by PCGS in their point ratings for the Set Registry.

Some key stats about these collections.

Top Pops

Gerry has 6 of his coins as TOP POP
Stewart has 7 of his coins as TOP POP
Doug has 4 of his coins as TOP POP
There are currently 31 TOP POP MPL's graded by PCGS. These 3 collectors own at least 17 of them.

The following 5 dates TOP POP are owned EXCLUSIVELY by these 3 collectors.
1909VDB in PR67RD Gerry & Stewart
1909 in PR68RD Stewart
1912 in PR66RD Gerry
1914 in PR68RD Stewart & Doug
1915 in PR67RD Stewart & Gerry

Collection by Grade

Gerry's Set includes (5) PR67RD and (4) PR66RD
Stewart's Set includes (2) PR68RD, (4) PR67RD, (1) PR66RD and (2) PR65RD
Doug's Set includes (1) PR68RD, (2) PR67RD, (4) PR66RD and (2) PR65RD

I know we would all like to see pictures and I'm sure if we all remain patient we someday may. Anyway, for now, here is a link to the MPL set registry.

Steveimage

Comments

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve, thank you for your kinds words and including me in a discussion about Stewart and Gerry. I have obtained a few coins from both of them in my collection, but one thing I have learned that is more important than the coins is -- what a true gentleman collector is. Both of them have been a pleasure to meet and know over the last decade, and we have had a blast collecting MPL's and other Lincolns together. (I'm usually the last to get the call on a coin for sale, as there is a pecking order!)

Is there a question that I could ask them that would not yield an honest answer? No. They have both given me advice, offered me coins, traded coins with me, sold me coins, bought coins from me, told me great collecting stories. It has been a blast so far and I look forward to more of the same in the years to come. Coins are coins, but relationships are what it is all about and the two go hand in hand.

And Steve, you are just as much a part of the group as the rest of us. You have a point to make with your set, and you do that in a way that none of us have, and boil the entire thing right down to its collector essence. It's very refreshing and I enjoy looking at what you have done just as much as I do any of these others.

I do like colorful MPL's, but there will never be a higher standard than an original red MPL.
    Doug
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I for one am happy that Doug is included in the upper tier of the MPL pecking order along with Stewart and Gerry. His magnificent set is outrageous in it's own right and deserves the recognition that Steve is sharing with all of us. It may have been overshadowed by Stewart's and now by Gerry's, but his set has the legs to stand on it's own in any registry.

I've seen some images of a couple of his MS Lincolns, the 1913 in particular just blows me away. I'd love to see some of his MPL's.image