Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone collect Mercury Dime double dies? - Information needed

Raw double die 1940-S Mercury Dime found - Estimated grade MS66-67FB. Bands very full and strong. Beautiful obverse that is rainbow toned deep iridescent forest green and orange with magenta and teal speckles. Coin is well struck and obvious variety.

Obverse: Consists of doubling on the "1940" date, "In God We Trust", "LIBERTY" and the designer's initials "AW". Liberty has an upper “broken nose.” and the coin has multiple die striations and/or bold die gouges all across the obverse and reverse (see photo of obverse taken from a informational web site given below, which is somewhat like my find).

Reverse: No doubling recognized, but the bands are full, and the surface is very clean and lustrous, even with the striations.

So far, information on the coin was obtained from http://www.stellacoinnews.com/index.php/mercury-dimes-ch-6-1940-s/ and the Cherrypicker's Guide.

The Coneca site was not helpful (maybe I just did not search correctly). Anyone have any suggestions as to how I may find out more about which DDO variety that I'm looking at? Also, will PCGS grade and authenticate error coins, do you know?

Comments

• Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

......... looked in the cherrypickers' guide book but the only thing listed for a dime like yours is a quadruple rpm s-mintmark. image

..........listed as fs-10-1940s-501
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options

<< <i>......... looked in the cherrypickers' guide book but the only thing listed for a dime like yours is a quadruple rpm s-mintmark. image

..........listed as fs-10-1940s-501 >>

Yeah, I did see that - thank you. That Q4 is a beauty!

Based on the web site I found, there are four known DD obverses of that date (from Flynn et al), but I cannot find any reference with photos showing the error. It is a dramatic error, though, so I assume it must be recognized somewhere, though. Thanks again for the effort.

Are you a Mercury collector?

Duane
  • Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭
    Hi Duane,

In David Lange's "The Complete Guide To Mercury Dimes" he mentions the 1940-S DDO-1,
    Breen Ency. #3665, and states it is strong on the date & has a die crack from 6 o'clock rim
    to Liberty's neck. Both the DDO and the crack are pictured in his book.
    The die striations are most likely from the extensive die polishing done to erase clash marks
    often present on this issue.

You may get further from Fairlaneman on these boards.
    Sounds like a nice piece.
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    The Mercury Dimes have the most strike doubled coins of any U.S. coin series.
    You could put together a complete set of these in strike doubled state.
    Is your coin a real doubled die, or is it strike doubling, Duane?

Ray
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>......... looked in the cherrypickers' guide book but the only thing listed for a dime like yours is a quadruple rpm s-mintmark. image

Based on the web site I found, there are four known DD obverses of that date (from Flynn et al), but I cannot find any reference with photos showing the error. It is a dramatic error, though, so I assume it must be recognized somewhere, though. Thanks again for the effort.

Duane >>

.........i have a few mercury dimes from years ago. i've always loved their design. this site has info of what you were speaking of.

.....info
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    Thank you all, for the great learning references.

Ray, it appears to be a strike or 'machine' double die as opposed to coin doubling caused by an actual doubled die, IMHO. This one is cool as the entire obverse is doubled. Each letter and number is just 'shadowed' in the same direction and the best way I can describe it is to say that it looks like the die twisted when it was either striking or being retracted off the planchet, leaving what I would call a 'shearing' of the devices. it's very cool, and as the colorful toning gives the coin a nice eye appeal, together it makes for a neat find.

Are these types of errors so common as to have no real premium value?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Duane >>

.........i have a few mercury dimes from years ago. i've always loved their design. this site has info of what you were speaking of.

.....info >>

Thank you - and I agree - they really are beautifully designed coins!
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    If it looks like machine doubling then it probably is. Machine doubling is very common on Mercury dimes and adds no premium value to the coin. There wouldn't be a "listing" for a machine doubled coin because they are not varieties that can be listed. They are just normal coins.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options

<< <i>If it looks like machine doubling then it probably is. Machine doubling is very common on Mercury dimes and adds no premium value to the coin. There wouldn't be a "listing" for a machine doubled coin because they are not varieties that can be listed. They are just normal coins. >>

Thank you - BTW; your numismatic art is fantastic.

Duane

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file