Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Need your scan grading expertise, '59 Mantle

I need this card to grade a minimum PSA 7 if I'm going to even consider purchasing it....does it have a chance? Will it take a few attempts? Or will I be dissapointed?
Would appreciate your 1959 Topps expertise based on the scans provided.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

Comments

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Most unlikely.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it will grade a PSA 7. I don't like the upper right corner on the front and the surface scuffs above his eye and the area above the nt and through the l in mantle to name a few.

Donato

Edited to add: Of course some of these things may only be due to the scan or scanner. They may not be on the card.
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    That looks like a possible 6 to me with the edge and corner wear along with the two surface marks, one near his left eye and the other down lower. Also, is that a small pencil check mark on the back corner? That may hurt as well. PSA doesn't like the slight discolored backs either. The centering is good though, not a bad card but not a 7 in my mind.
  • Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    It could be the surface scratch/scuff you see in the current casing the card is in....

Thanks for the feedback..

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Top edge indentation...I guess 5.5
    It's a nice card nonetheless
  • Options
    MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭
    A "4" dingleberry--can't you see that wrinkle top right and dirty back? C'mon Stevie Wonder.
  • Options
    MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭
    5.5? That's a joke. No more than a 4. One of the ugliest Mantles I ever seen...
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Nice Mantle. Looks like a 6, maybe a 7 on a lucky submit.

It looks better than a '59 PSA 8 Bob Gibson RC a friend brought over last night to show me. That card had two tattered corners and a corner crease that was worked on, yet somehow was sitting in a PSA 8 slab. Judging by the font on the holder, it was graded around 1998-99.

Hands down one of the top five worst vintage PSA 8's I've ever seen.

The Mantle above blows away this Gibson card. I should've scanned it, but didn't think of it.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Have seen too many 59 Mantles 5 at best.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    As nicely centered as it is, I think you could expect to receive a 5.5 at best.

Not a bad looking card at all, but the nicks, dings, scuffs and wrinkles should undoubtedly keep it out of a 7 holder.

PoppaJ

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    If the scuffs are on the scanner and that top left border is not as weird as it look in the scan
    then I say it has decent shot at a 7.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    I'm with the majority, highly unlikely for a 7, possibly a 6.
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>One of the ugliest Mantles I ever seen... >>

I guess Mintacular doesn't know crap about cards....That would have to be one of the stupidest comments I've seen in these forums.

I personally would be glad to have that card in a second.

Brian
  • Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    I truly appreciate everyones advice, this card is actually slabbed in a BVG 7 case currently.

I saw potential until the seller sent me detailed pictures, your opinions solidified what I was guessing.

Thank you again!

• Options
    DrJDrJ Posts: 2,213
    Probably a 5, though it may score a 4 with the combination of soft corners and edge damage. Look elsewhere.
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭
    3 things on the back concern me:
    1. center of the card, red stripe, word LEAGUE, is that a crease/wrinkle running down the run column?
    2. same place further down, word RECORD, 2nd "r", what is happening there?
    3. bottom left corner, is that a pencil "checkmark" or stray pulp? It doesn't match andy other pulp pieces on the back.

Somewhere in the 4-5 area, maybe even a MK qualifier
  • Options
    I would say 6, maybe a 6.5?

Good luck!
  • Options
    msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    Have to agree with it not making a '7' holder.

For the "ugliest Mantles I have ever seen"....I'll second the "one of the stupidest comments" motions

Card would look great in a raw set