Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Good Example Of Buying The Card And Not The Holder ...

Here's a good example of buying the card and not the holder. Pictured below is a 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan PSA 5 that ended with a high bid of $423.88. Also pictured below is a 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan PSA 7 that ended with a high bid of $418.01.

/s/ JackWESQ

Comments

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, the seller of the PSA 7 has been discussed recently in another thread here. The problem he has is that he doesn't clean his scanner, so many of his cards look terrible in the scans. When you get them though, they look pretty much like they should. I've bought from him many times, and he's a good guy to deal with. He just doesn't help himself get the highest value on his cards.

I'm not saying that some of that "garbage" on the card scan isn't actually on the card, but I would be willing to bet that the card doesn't look nearly that bad in-hand.

Steve
  • bbcemporiumbbcemporium Posts: 684 ✭✭✭
    Not trying to defend the PSA 7 seller, but even if his scanner was clean, the card still probably would've sold for around the same amount, maybe a little better. But with the PSA 5, the buyer was obviously rolling the dice the card would bump a grade or two. But, as JackWESQ originally stated, it is a good example of buying the card and not the holder.
    Registry Sets

"Common sense is the best distributed commodity in the world, for every man is convinced that he is well supplied with it"
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "...But with the PSA 5, the buyer was obviously rolling the dice the card would bump a grade or two. .."

/////////////////////////////

Sadly, for that buyer, the card will likely have
    the same micro-wrinkle on it that was on it
    when it first got a 5.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • I disagree with the OP. The person is not buying the card. The person is buying the scan.
  • PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818

<< <i> Sadly, for that buyer, the card will likely have
    the same micro-wrinkle on it that was on it
    when it first got a 5. >>

/////////////////////////////////

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>......But with the PSA 5, the buyer was obviously rolling the dice the card would bump a grade or two......... >>

Or it may be sold raw with the hype of a possible grade that it will sadly never achieve.
  • mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>......But with the PSA 5, the buyer was obviously rolling the dice the card would bump a grade or two......... >>

Or it may be sold raw with the hype of a possible grade that it will sadly never achieve. >>

But not on ebay
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY