Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA/DNA auto question red or blue flip ?

I have a few autographs, that I want to send in to PSA/DNA for authentication. Does it make a difference with regards to which flip the are in (red v blue)? Is it worth the fees ( the fox would cost $75)?
One is a Nellie Fox on an EXMT 1964 topps giant card ( definitely authentic). The other is a Hank Aaron on a 1974 topps #1 card (EXMT card) ( not sure if the auto is real).
The third one is Joe Dimaggio on a creased 1972 Bowery Bank card (real).
Collecting Clemente master (#6) and basic PSA registry sets, Hank Aaron master and basic sets, Mantle oddball issues, 1970's mega decade HOFs, 1967 Topps pin ups, and high grade Topps Clemente and Aaron. Numerous transactions with over 100 board members.

Comments

• Options
    OriolesOrioles Posts: 312 ✭✭✭
    I've asked myself the same question a few times. I think it depends on why you are having them authenticated/encapsulated.

If it is for a specific set on the set registry (hall of famers, etc), then go with the one that holds the cards for your set. A few years back I collected a few autos of hall of famers and started a set under the "red flip" so I collect those.

If you just want them encapsulated so you "protect" the autograph, I'd go red flip because it just seems like the cost of the blue flips are so high in comparison to the red. I think if I understand the pricing of blue flips, it will run you over $250 for authentication/grading, over $180 just for the authentication in a blue flip if you don't card about the grad. It seems like the red flips are $20 per card and it didn't seem to matter who the player was. I've gotta admit, though, I'm not sure I understand the pricing right. Basically, if just to protect the card, go with the cheapest one.

I'm not sure about re-sale of blue vs. red. Just not that close to it. It doesn't seem like the condition of your cards are higher-end, so if you are selling eventually and the autos are stronger then the grade of the card, it may make sense to go blue flip.

Either way, good luck. I'm curious what others think.

Jim
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    Carol's answer to a previous similar post concerning flips was this:

"Red Flip = PSA is opining that the card and autograph are authentic - If there is a grade then the card is graded, not the autograph. (cards with manufacturer issued autographs are not required to go though autograph authentication service and PSA makes no comment about the autograph)
    These are used in the PSA Set Registry

Blue Flip = psa/dna is only commenting about the autograph, the card is treated as any signed piece of paper. If there is a grade on this label it refers to the condition of the autograph and has no bearing on the condition of the card. The card is not reviewed by any card graders; again the card is considered a signed piece of paper."

I'm not sure what the cards are actually worth, but ...
    SMR for a Nellie Fox signed gum card is $250.
    SMR for a Hank Aaron signed gum card is $40.
    SMR for a Joe DiMaggio signed gum card is $200.

Hope this helps,
    PoppaJ

• Options
    csmtampacsmtampa Posts: 1,828
    Go with the red flip, its only $20 a card. There i no difference in sale values of the two flips, except for maybe one with an autograph grade.
  • Options
    leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191
    I personally like the red flip... it means the card is the real deal as well as the auto.
  • Options
    cefy1cefy1 Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Poppa, this answered a question I put on the registry board.
    Always buying Gretzky PSA Graded

Need some 2007 A&G Regular Back Mini's PM if you have any and I will send my needs list.
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    if a signed card was rejected for min size requirment.. can i resub it for the blue flip to slab the card and authenticat the auto.. and will the flip state the year, card company ect... also if i send a signed 1984 Star card to have the auto authenticated under the blue flip service.. will the flip say 1984 Star.. or just say something generic like "basketball card" ?
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options

<< <i>if a signed card was rejected for min size requirment.. can i resub it for the blue flip to slab the card and authenticat the auto.. and will the flip state the year, card company ect... also if i send a signed 1984 Star card to have the auto authenticated under the blue flip service.. will the flip say 1984 Star.. or just say something generic like "basketball card" ? >>

Yes you can sub it to get blue... the blue flip just means the auto is good. Signed note cards get a blue flip.