Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

John Davenports German Secular Talers book

Anyone have a copy of this or has anyone read it? Just bought a copy on line. Looking forward to reading it.

Comments

• Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    I've got the entire set...not much to read though. For the most part it's only images with the regurgitated legend words directly from the coin.
  • Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    Well that doesn't seem very informative! Hopefully there is something of substance in it!
    Todd
  • Options
    "Well that doesn't seem very informative! Hopefully there is something of substance in it!"

pictures for indentification and an appendix with mintmaster marks and another with Latin to English translation of the legends....that's it.
  • Options
    Well you didn't say that at first, now did ya!!! image Thanks!
    Todd
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I had the chance to buy the set for $100 a while ago, but that was 8 or 9 years ago. It was when I was collecting US. I wish I knew then what I know now. -Dan
  • Options

<< <i>"Well that doesn't seem very informative! Hopefully there is something of substance in it!"

pictures for indentification and an appendix with mintmaster marks and another with Latin to English translation of the legends....that's it. >>

Maybe an insert with a list of then-current prices as well.
    "Think of the Press as a great keyboard on which the Government can play" – Joseph Goebbels

"The Central Intelligence Agency owns everyone of any significance in the major media" - William Colby, former CIA director
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A have a Davenport thaler book, but not that one. It covers multiple thalers (2-thaler size and up).

Fun to look at the pictures, but not heavy on text information, as previously mentioned regarding the OP. No pricing info.

It's one of the white elephants in my library, since I'm likely to never have any use for it, as I'm not in the market for big 2-thaler and larger coins. (Wish I could be.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Got this one for 5 bucks, decent pick up... looking for the rest of the series now... damn a new collecting interest...
    Todd
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>"Well that doesn't seem very informative! Hopefully there is something of substance in it!"

pictures for indentification and an appendix with mintmaster marks and another with Latin to English translation of the legends....that's it. >>

Maybe an insert with a list of then-current prices as well. >>

Yeah some of mine have the value insert but as mentioned, it is so out of date it's worthless.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the german talers since 1800 version if anyone wants for $22 shipped.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an extra copy of World Crowns and Talers 1484-1968 as Cataloged by Dr. John S. Davenport, First Edition. 560 Pages, Softcover - $40 Shipped Media Mail. Payment by check or add paypal fee

Includes all 9 volumes as cataloged by Davenport in One Book with many images:
    1) European Crowns and Talers Since 1800
    2) European Crowns 1700-1800
    3) German Talers 1700-1800
    4) European Crowns 1600-1700
    5) German Church and City Talers 1600-1700
    6) German Secular Talers 1600-1700
    7) European Crowns 1484-1600
    8) German Talers 1500-1600
    9) Dollars of Africa, Asia & Oceana
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    Why the word 'secular' in the title?