Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Skeeters Dansco 7070 problems....part 3

For those who read the post a week or two back about all the bad luck.........I have GOOD news for a change.

Went to the local coin shop today with the "not genuine" trade dollar in my hand, which was purchased there over a year ago and said: I was wondering if you would like to buy this coin back? I purchased it here about 12 to 14 months ago, sent it off for grading and it came back "not genuine". I fully intended on walking out of there with the coin and no more money in my pocket. After looking at it with a loupe for about a minute he said....Yes, I remember this coin.....you paid $260 for it didn't you?....Do you want your money back or would you like to trade it for something? I almost fell over!!

The problem (cleaned, environmental damage, and altered surface) coins are going to be sold next week.

There are 28 more at PCGS now.... waiting on the results.

Comments

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    It's great they stand behind their products even after a year.

Congrats on improving your day. image
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭✭
    My local shop stands behind their coins 100% and have been in business for over thirty years. They don't care it you bought it yesterday or thirty years ago. If ever you buy a coin that is deemed not genuine, they refund you 100%.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good for you.

Did the dealer give you an indication if the TPG's opinion was a suprise to him?
    I'd like to say 'good dealer' but there's the possibility he was originally trying to slip you the wet willy.

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    So how'd you handle the $260?
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    That's good he stood behind it. I really wonder how many of the other problem coins would end up getting in a holder if submitted enough times.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    That was great of the store to give you a refund! a class act! image
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    Good to hear.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options

<< <i>
    Did the dealer give you an indication if the TPG's opinion was a suprise to him?
    I'd like to say 'good dealer' but there's the possibility he was originally trying to slip you the wet willy. >>

It was a suprise to him.....even after looking at it he could not tell for sure it was a fake....but he did say there was something about it that just wasnt right, but he could not tell what it was.

THIS is what suprised me........At first PCGS had the coin listed as "not genuine" on my account page.... They later changed it, now it says "questionable authenticity"...never seen that before.
  • Options

<< <i>So how'd you handle the $260? >>

How else.........1834 Bust Half
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear that!
    Also glad to hear a good story of a dealer standing behind their product. We seldom hear the good stories.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file