Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Which 1 card do you own multiple copies & why?

Fresh off a road trip to Pittsburgh I returned to NC and found a nice little package in the mailbox of (150) 1989 Topps Gary Sheffield. You know, this one:
I'm not sure why this card was one of my favorites, perhaps around that time I had braces and could relate to Sheff--or maybe it was that arcade-style "Future Star" on the top border. Either way it was a keeper then, and is now the most of any 1 card I own.

So my question is: What is the most you have of the same card and why did you choose that one?

Comments

• Options
    Something interesting about the 1989 Topps Sheffield:

It comes in 3 different versions:

-with white line at bottom of picture and a blurry "343" in the bottom left corner
    -with Topps logo printed close to necklace
    -with Topps logo printed further from necklace

But to answer the question, I have unknown, but large quantities of the following cards:

1992 Topps/Gold/Winner #8 Brien Taylor
    All 1990-1991 Upper Deck Heroes "header" cards
    1990 Upper Deck Kevin Maas RC
    1990 Fleer Dave Hansen/Kelly Mann
    1990-91 Upper Deck French Sergei Fedorov RC
    1991 Pro Set Music Cards UK Prince
    My Error & Variation Blog

Collecting Robin Ventura and Matt Luke.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    I have multiple copies of a few of the guys who were "big" in the 80s and early 90s. While they're utterly worthless now, seeing multiple copies of them seems to draw out some of the excitement I had as a kid when I'd pull them. Nostalgia.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭
    I have over 150 1992 Topps Cal Ripken. I think it's a great looking card with him next to Gehrig's plaque. I bought a cheap lot of over 100 one time for grading.

I also have multiple copies of the Gold, Gold Winner, Micro, Pre-production, and Gold Pre-Production.
  • Options

<< <i>Fresh off a road trip to Pittsburgh I returned to NC and found a nice little package in the mailbox of (150) 1988 Topps Gary Sheffield. >>

Didn't know Sheffield had a 1988 Topps rookie.

I have about (150) 1989 Fleer Randy Johnsons. Also have quite a few 1987 Donruss Greg Maddux rookies including 5 PSA 9's.
  • Options

<< <i>Something interesting about the 1989 Topps Sheffield:

-with white line at bottom of picture and a blurry "343" in the bottom left corner

>>

Do you know which one the '343' would be ?
    A- Necklace lined up with Y in Gary B- Necklace lined up with R in Gary, Topps logo higher C- Necklace lined up with R in Gary, Topps logo lower

imageimageimage
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    I have several copies of each of these.. 2 of my favorites
  • Options
    MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭
    Oops, '89 of course--I'll trade you my Sheffield's 10 x 1 ratio for your '62 Clementes? image I did not know about that variation--anyone of them worth much more??
  • Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭
    Normally I have but one copy of each card, but I have three copies of 1972 OPC Angelo Mosca #7. Why? Because of the stupid Set Registry! I subbed a very nice one which got a 7. I then bought an 8. Currently I'm awaiting the results for a third card that I subbed in the hope of getting an 8.5 or a 9.

Instead of buying multiple cards, I would have been better served to crack and resub the 7 until it finally got a grade that satisfied me.
    Brett
  • Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭
    Bob,
    If one is gonna own multiple copies of the same card, you sure picked a couple of beauts. Those are definitely duplicate-worthy.
    Brett
  • Options
    leadoff4leadoff4 Posts: 2,392
    86 Barry Bonds Topps Traded(wish I didn't image
    89 UD Griffey Jr.- was the hottest card out when I was buying packs in high school
  • Options

<< <i>86 Barry Bonds Topps Traded(wish I didn't 89 UD Griffey Jr.- was the hottest card out when I was buying packs in high school >>

How many of each? I think those are two nice cards although the '87 Fleer Bonds was my preference of his RCs.
  • Options
    Forgot I still have (10) 1990 UD Juan Gonzalez rookies left over from my small teenage collection I saved when I quit collecting.
  • Options
    I used to collect doubles of FF versions, but since stopped and sold 'em. Wasn't for me.

Found out what was though.

Versions on packs. Have 10+ FF on cello/rack and 20+ Black Box on cello/rack. Few Scribbles and others.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    dioworlddioworld Posts: 140 ✭✭
    1989 upper deck ken griffey jr.
    i own multiple ones because i cannot afford one when i was a kid.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I too have over 100 cards of the 1992 Topps Ripken #40, with all of the other versions of that card, including a signed 8x10 of that photo. Good stuff! image

• Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Sadly, I know that I still have at least 25,000 Marc Newfield 1991 Topps RC's. These were purchased at the end of the era when I used to buy large bulk quantities of rookie prospects. In most cases, I would buy 10-20 players at the beginning of each season (often at $0.01-$0.10 per). My success rate, at such prices, didn't need to be much better than 20%, but for awhile, it was quite healthy as I had played with or against a bunch of these guys in college, but the successes and returns declined as the likes of Bonds, Joyner, Incaviglia, Magadan, Clemens, Clark, Snyder and Larkin settled in to the big leagues.

Usually, I could find an outlet for most of the bulk lots even if the player never materialized. I was even able to off nearly 30,000 Mackey Sasser cards, but Newfield proved to be one of the exceptions as I could find NO ONE that had the slightest interest.

The biggest reason that I jumped on Newfield was that I was at a high school all-star game at Anaheim and Newfield hit a homerun that nearly hit the "A" far, far beyond the fence. Even with an aluminum bat, I was impressed by such power. Ironically, I found the invoice on which I purchased the Newfield cards about a year ago... On that invoice, I bought 25,000 1991T Newfields ($500), 1500 1991T Chipper Jones ($225.00), 5000 1990-91 Score Martin Brodeur ($100) and a bunch of 250 count lots of 1991 Bowman baseball rookies like Rondell White, Chipper Jones, Jeff Bagwell, Raul Mondesi and 100 of the Rod Carew sets between a nickel to a dime per... I lost out on Newfield, but I more than made up for it on the others although I probably still have most of the Carew sets, too.

• Options
    Also forgot about these. Still have about 100 each of these. Stupid cut card cases.

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am always buying 56 Clementes in all grades, white and grey backs. I consider it the best Topps card ever issued. I would say how many I have, but my wife might be reading. image
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I too used to buy the POTENTIAL HOT ROOKIE cards by the hundreds. But of the cards that were worth anything, before I sold most of my collection last year, I had 5 or 6 1967 and 5 or 6 1968 Mantle cards ... most were graded PSA 7 and 8. He was my idol growing up and I had quite a few of his cards until last year.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    EDIT: Answered below.

• Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Something interesting about the 1989 Topps Sheffield:

>>

Do you know which one the '343' would be ?
    A- Necklace lined up with Y in Gary B- Necklace lined up with R in Gary, Topps logo higher C- Necklace lined up with R in Gary, Topps logo lower >>

Not sure based on those descriptions but it's very obvious in person.

Not mine:

• Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    I own multiple copies of 86 Donruss and 86 Fleer Paul O'Neill RC's.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    I've always liked having stacks of the same card, ever since I was a kid.

Somewhere at my parents house I have:

100+ 87 Topps Mike Greenwell RCs
    100+ 88 Donruss Damon Berryhill RCs
    50+ 88 Score Gregg Jeffiries RCs
    50+ 90 UD Dean Palmer RCs
    50+ 91 Score Todd Van Poppell RCs

and many many others that I can't recall right now.

Here with me now, I have anywhere from 20-100 of each Nolan Ryan from 81-91. Oh and I bought a 100 ct lot of 89 Topps Tr Troy Aikman a couple of yrs ago.

I like to fan them out and stare at them every now and then. Am I the only one?
  • Options
    That Sheffield looks trimmed on the top border! To BillW...I used to have a ton of Greenwells and spent a nice penny on him in the summer of '87 or '88 along with Ellis Burks and Sam Horn.

The other ones Berryhill, Palmer, Van Poppel I never spent $ but wised up and invested in Ben McDonald, Greg Vaughn, Ray Lankford and the list goes on. Them were the days...
  • Options

<< <i>That Sheffield looks trimmed on the top border! >>

(Even though it isn't mine) I can say for sure that it isn't.

All 5 of the "Future Stars" subset cards can be found in two different cropping varieties (this is noted in the beckett), the first and much harder to find version has a very skinny top border which creates a larger gap between the FS heading and the player's head.

I currently have a pair listed of Gregg Jefferies' card that shows both versions side-by-side. (EDIT: Not a plug, just for anyone who's curious to see an example)

Sheffield is the only one of the 5 FS cards to have more than two distinct types.

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Years ago I busted a case worth of 1994 Classic Hockey Draft. I put together 34 complete sets out of it (plus multiple complete sets of the 1-per-pack inserts), and had up to 36 additional cards of some players. I don't think I have more than 70 of any card from any other set. I even pulled 7 Jeff Friesen autographs from the boxes. That's not the most of any autographed card for me though. I believe I'm now up to 13 of the 2000 Playoff Contenders Jerry Porter autographed rookie (plus 1 of the Championship Ticket parallel #/100).
    The card where I'll probably break 70 is the 2003 eTopps Jerry Porter. I'm at 48 so far, though they're in portfolio, not in hand.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    i wuz gunna boast about my 800 count box of Upper Deck Pedro Martinez rookie cards, but then i read the post by the Marc Newfield dude, and i now have little to boast about. image
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    Purchased about 10 1981 Topps Rickey Hendersons for $30 apiece and 7 or 8 '81 Fleers for $20 apiece back in '90-'91 when he was nearing Brock's stolen base record. I doubt many of the Topps would grade higher than a 7.

Ouch.

BTW, 5000 1990-91 Score Martin Brodeurs for $100??? I don't know what's more impressive: the fact that those Brodeurs could be worth at least $10,000 now or the fact that 5000 of them were amassed by one guy.
  • Options

<< <i>Purchased about 10 1981 Topps Rickey Hendersons for $30 apiece and 7 or 8 '81 Fleers for $20 apiece back in '90-'91 when he was nearing Brock's stolen base record >>

Christmas of 1990, my Mom bought me a wax box of 1981 Topps. Pulled 2 minty fresh Rickeys and spent two days thinking of what I was going to get in trade for them at our one good card shop. Think I got 2 boxes of 1990 Donruss. image
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    ah yes, I finally found the pictures I was looking for. He'll probably chime in later, but last year in a similar thread Russ posted this:

<< <i>I believe I might have just about everyone covered... I haven't counted these, nor really want to. I'd estimate 6000+ of the '89 Topps Chris Sabo's. It's not just this one card for me though... >>

• Options
    Holy crap--How many are there?
  • Options
    onefasttalononefasttalon Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭
    Yep, that's me. I have added more to that pile since that pic was taken. One day, I'll gett'em all out, and do something 'creative' with them.

I'd guesstimate I have nearly 8,000 of that one card... but I'm always open to having more!

ALWAYS Looking for Chris Sabo cards!

• Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    OK mine is the 1989 Upper Deck Don Aase card. Why? Because that is how many I got when I opened 2 boxes in 1989 with only 1 Griffey.

Bob
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yep, that's me. I have added more to that pile since that pic was taken. One day, I'll gett'em all out, and do something 'creative' with them.

I'd guesstimate I have nearly 8,000 of that one card... but I'm always open to having more! >>

Wow, that's pretty impressive. You probably own about 0.05% of the 89 Topps Sabos.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just love this card!
  • Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭
    I have

(4) PSA 8 1979 Topps Gretzky RCs and (1) PSA 9 Topps Gretzky RCs (the (4) PSA 8s were pulled from vending or packs and submitted by me)
    (6) PSA 9 1985 Topps Lemieux RCs (all pulled from packs and submitted by me)
    (8) PSA 9 1991 Topps Stadium Club Brett Favre RCs (all pulled from packs and submitted by me)
    (2) PSA 9 1986 Fleer Jordan RCs and (3) PSA 8 1986 Fleer Jordan RCs and (2) PSA 5 1986 Fleer Jordan RCs (all but one PSA 9 were pulled from packs and submitted by me)

and the kicker

(3) PSA 9 1980 Topps Bird/Erving/Magic RCs
    (3) PSA 9 OC 1980 Topps Bird/Erving/Magic RCs
    (7) PSA 8 1980 Topps Bird/Erving/Magic RCs
    (1) PSA 8 OC Topps Bird/Erving/Magic RCs
    (2) PSA 8 PD Topps Bird/Erving/Magic RCs
    (2) PSA 6 Topps Bird/Erving/Magic RCs

All the Bird/Magic rookies were pulled from packs and submitted by me.

Robb
  • Options
    1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Ummmm . . . why?
  • Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somewhere near 1500 1987 Topps Kirby Puckett cards. I knew he was going to be a hall of famer and I was going to retire early with that purchase. At least I was 1/2 right!
    Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    ICE9ICE9 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭
    Reviving a Mintacular thread image
    "Must these Englishmen Live That I Might Die? Must They Live That I Might Die?" - The Blue Oyster Cult
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing else is going on