Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Any set registry famers in this CU community?

I've been on the boards for almost a year....got a feel for who's who...recognize names but I started to think do we have any notable or famous set registry contenders among us in the CU message board community?

Have you had your name mentioned in publication? Does your collection stack up with the top %10 in the world.

Curious......

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

Comments

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Jim Davalilo posts here in the set registry forum.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Jim Davalilo posts here in the set registry forum. >>

His CU ID is Davalillo, but his name is Jim Crandall.
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭

I'm just a #2. image

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Jim Davalilo posts here in the set registry forum. >>

His CU ID is Davalillo, but his name is Jim Crandall. >>

Oops! Thanks for the heads up Nick. Sorry Jim!
  • Options
    I'm a big player in the 1989 Fleer For The Record 6-card Insert set. image
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm number 47 on the 86 Fleer list.

If you want my autograph, you'll have to take a number.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm a big player in the 1989 Fleer For The Record 6-card Insert set. image >>

Nobody cares about your junk cards................. or mine for that matter.

That said, I'm #1 in the Emmitt Smith master set image
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    BigHurt2000 is the numero uno Thomas registry guy.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    Along with my priceless 89 Fleer FTR set, I have the #1 current finest 83 Donruss set. 555 more PSA 10's and I will be #1 on the all time finest sets.
  • Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    So what do you get from PSA for being in the top of a registry set?

Sounds like we have some heavy hitters so far, from Hockey to 1983 Donruss...not too shabby.

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    You should checkout James Jone's Frank Thomas Master Set...it's a HUGE registry and he's over 50%.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    onefasttalononefasttalon Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭
    "That said, I'm #1 in the Emmitt Smith master set"

.... who's Emmitt Smith?

I collect former ROY winners... but I prefer to stick with late 80's winners, mostly NL... well, pre '89 and post '87.

"Have you had your name mentioned in publication? Does your collection stack up with the top %10 in the world."

I can't believe there hasn't been any swift responses to this one yet!

ALWAYS Looking for Chris Sabo cards!

• Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    I just checked that set. His GPA is ridiculous!
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    Last time I checked #18 on the 87 basketball fleer sticker set. I'll be in the next issue of SMR....
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm a big player in the 1989 Fleer For The Record 6-card Insert set. image >>

That said, I'm #1 in the Emmitt Smith master set image >>

Oh yeah I forgot about being #1 in the Aikman master & basic and the Irvin master & basic.

Aikman and Irvin cards are cheap while Emmitts tend to go for more due to popularity from being on Dancing With The Stars.

• Options
    tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭
    I'm #1 on this massive set image
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

That said, I'm #1 in the Emmitt Smith master set image >>

Oh yeah I forgot about being #1 in the Aikman master & basic and the Irvin master & basic.

Aikman and Irvin cards are cheap while Emmitts tend to go for more due to popularity from being on Dancing With The Stars.

image >>

That's humor right there
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭
    Gary Carter Basic # 3
    Gary Carter Master # 3
    Pat Haden Master # 1
    Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

• Options
    Our own GRIFFINS (Anthony Nex) got some quotes in this month's SMR on the 1915 Cracker Jack set.
    Learn some history of the game. Join a vintage base ball team in your area and get out there.
    Simsbury Taverneers
    My PSA Sets
  • Options
    I got a STAR for this huge set.

Stiff competition.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options

<< <i>Our own GRIFFINS (Anthony Nex) got some quotes in this month's SMR on the 1915 Cracker Jack set. >>

Not a classier guy out their either ^^^^^^

My Steve Largent master set is world famous (link below)
  • Options

I know packcollector, and griffins have world renowned collections in unopened material.

The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I got a STAR for this huge set.

Stiff competition. >>

What does that set look like?
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    I have a couple of #1's

James Lofton Master
    Brent Farve Rookie(yes I know the spelling)
    Green Bay Packer HOF (not the top rating but I am over 90%)

Troy
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I got a STAR for this huge set.

Stiff competition. >>

What does that set look like? >>

Link to thread with scans
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    #3 Current Finest Mickey Mantle Master Set
    #4 All-Time Finest Mickey Mantle Master Set

Hope to be #2 Current by end of summer .... Levi (707 Sportscards) is pretty safe for now! image

PoppaJ
  • Options
    TexomaTexoma Posts: 179

<< <i>#3 Current Finest Mickey Mantle Master Set

Hope to be #2 Current by end of summer .... Levi (707 Sportscards) is pretty safe for now! image

PoppaJ >>

Pop--

Will you ever post pics of your cards on the registry?

Inquiring minds want to know!

TxO's No. 1 Great Hall of Fame Exhibit Set
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's my 10th place pride and joy:

1950's Topps Mega Set

I love the fact that my weighted GPA is well over 9. Too bad it's got some silly math in there.

-Tom
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont follow much other than Football collections but there are a few guys here that have world class football collections as far as Im concerned..

Publius ( great guy ) has a phenominal run - one of the BEST -of high grade cards from the 30's to the present.

Another one of my heroes of Vintage football collecting has to be BigDaddyBowman as well, not as high ranked as Joes but the variety of his 1948-1955 Bowmans is hard to match.

• Options
    #1 2000 Collector's Edge Supreme set and #6 2000 Collector's Edge Supreme Update.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    I'm at 94% on my favorite ice hockey player, Mike Bossy...if you're interested take a look at the link in my signature page, lots of pictures.

Patrick
  • Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i certainly am no where near a hall of famer
    but i have a few number ones

1989 topps

2004 spx

2004 spx swatches

also several that will never be number onesimage
    currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818

<< <i>

<< <i>#3 Current Finest Mickey Mantle Master Set

PoppaJ >>

Pop--

Will you ever post pics of your cards on the registry?

Inquiring minds want to know!

TxO's No. 1 Great Hall of Fame Exhibit Set >>

////////////////////////////////

Hi Tex,

1st of all, my congratulations to you on your 1948 Great Hall of Fame Exhibits - The Number One Finest Set of All Time! .... It's a beauty!!!

I've learned from experience that the Mantle Master Set is extremely competitive the closer you get to the top.

Keeping my registry set free from view has kept my competitors from knowing which cards I still need for completion.

When I first started my Mantle Master Set, it seemed as though a few of my closest competitors would purposely try to prevent me from creeping up the ladder.

Frequently, I would get unwelcomed emails (back when IDs weren't hidden) asking if I'd like to trade this for that, or would I like to buy this etc etc ..... and to top it off .... I actually had a guy complain to me about always outbidding him. I was so glad when eBay started hiding IDs!

Now, even with hidden IDs, it's still possible to see who bought/won what, by checking the VCP website (just by matching Certs there with Certs on the registry).

I now make it a point to deal outside of eBay when obtaining the cards I need.

If there's a few cards that you'd like to see, I have no problem posting them for you, but I will most likely block the Cert numbers from view.

I hope you understand and I thank you for your interest image

PoppaJ

• Options
    We have some heavy hitters on here, I am really not worthy to be socializing with the big dogs of this hobby Wow.

This evening I am going to look at everyones registry links and soak it all in.

Some impressive stuff.

• Options
    That's what makes this community so great, there is a lot of knowledge and experience to be had.

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    image LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME image

I also faced some really stiff competition this year, but all my hard work and ruthless treatment of my competition resulted in my first star thingie. Link's in the sig.

edited to add that in no way do I claim to have a collection that comes close to comparing some of the fabulous collections that have been highlighted in just this thread alone. One of my favorite time wasters is to browse through the vintage registries; it's a bonus when the registry owners include scans - some really eye-popping stuff out there.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

edited to add that in no way do I claim to have a collection that comes close to comparing some of the fabulous collections that have been highlighted in just this thread alone. One of my favorite time wasters is to browse through the vintage registries; it's a bonus when the registry owners include scans - some really eye-popping stuff out there. >>

AGREE!
  • Options
    TexomaTexoma Posts: 179

<< <i>We have some heavy hitters on here, I am really not worthy to be socializing with the big dogs of this hobby Wow.

This evening I am going to look at everyones registry links and soak it all in.

Some impressive stuff. >>

I'm not even in Pop's world--he's Major League and I'm still playing American Legion ball. But I did get lucky with the HOF Exhibits (the main drawback--they're not listed on Player Master sets so not much market). I ordered a partial set of 22 from Exhibit Supply Co. in the late 1960s, that were stashed in the bottom of a file box and "lost" for 40 years. About 10 of them graded best on the pop report. Still it took another 16 months to pass John Woody.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    not a hall of famer but i once had the #1 bird master set. i think for 2 years running, then the bigger pockets took over. i got a certificate for it some where though
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    WOW- there are some incredible collections among the board members here. Very impressive. I am a small fish in this pond!

The only set where I even grace the first page is my Frank Robinson basic set (and that ain't all that hard to do). I'm #20 right now, but there should be a package in my mailbox within the next couple days that will allow me to make a strong move into the 19 hole, barring any unforeseen events. Good times.

My Yastrzemski basic set isn't on the first page yet, but I'm knocking on the door.
    Nowhere near the top 20 on any of my other sets.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options

<< <i>WOW- there are some incredible collections among the board members here. Very impressive. I am a small fish in this pond!

The only set where I even grace the first page is my Frank Robinson basic set (and that ain't all that hard to do). I'm #20 right now, but there should be a package in my mailbox within the next couple days that will allow me to make a strong move into the 19 hole, barring any unforeseen events. Good times.

My Yastrzemski basic set isn't on the first page yet, but I'm knocking on the door.
    Nowhere near the top 20 on any of my other sets. >>

do you roll on shobbas?
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Mark it ZERO!
  • Options

<< <i>do you roll on shobbas? >>

I sure as sh*t do not.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options

<< <i>Here's my 10th place pride and joy:

1950's Topps Mega Set

I love the fact that my weighted GPA is well over 9. Too bad it's got some silly math in there.

-Tom >>

Hey Tom,

I just checked and I'm sitting at #9 on this set. Come get me big boy!!!

I picked up two "star thingies" this year. One that matters and one that doesn't.

1941 Goudey Master Set

I'm keeping Anthony Nex, Louchios and Spence from getting another top spot.

2001 Sweet Spot Bat Set

I started this one a few years ago so I could get my name in the magazine.

Brian
    Learn some history of the game. Join a vintage base ball team in your area and get out there.
    Simsbury Taverneers
    My PSA Sets
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Brian, you are so far ahead on the '41 set you deserve star thingys every year. It's a tough set to complete in the basic 33 card set, but to have it almost finished in all 4 colors is mind boggling- let alone in the condition you have it in.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options

<< <i>Brian, you are so far ahead on the '41 set you deserve star thingys every year. It's a tough set to complete in the basic 33 card set, but to have it almost finished in all 4 colors is mind boggling- let alone in the condition you have it in.
    image >>

Mind boggling? I humbly accept the compliment but want to put things in perspective...

Truly an accomplishement

7 #1's, 30 Star Thingy's and at least 1 "Best of the Registry" award winner as well. Not a "gimme" in the bunch.
    Simsbury Taverneers
    My PSA Sets
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    I have a whole bunch of 1st places on sets that no one else is doing and that aren't anywhere close to 90% completion. image

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    My wife and I have 5 sons . I'm trying to collect cards sets from 20 years before they were each born. At present I have the top 1983 and 1984 Topps baseball sets. I bounce around filling in each of these sets .

There are some other real tough fellow collectors that may catch these sets . My effort is to make real good sets for each , not just to be the top dog.

I have many other sets as well , some of them goofy , but all are fun to collect.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Here's my 10th place pride and joy:

1950's Topps Mega Set

-Tom >>

Hey Tom,

I just checked and I'm sitting at #9 on this set. Come get me big boy!!!

Brian >>

Doh!

I just checked, and is often the case, I have "more", but you have "better". Very nice stuff Brian!

Tom