Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1967 Topps #1 set retired?

Say it aint so - Larry have you retired this set? What is the scoop here

First JWmerill and now u

What do u plan on doing with it - as a fellow 67 collector always curious on folks plans

Best of luck here

ED

Collecting 1967 Topps in psa 9 and 1971 topps in psa 8

Comments

• Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    Best set ever! Larry and his set are best.
    Larry good luck with your next set!
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Ed,

Whose set was it that is in the process of being auctioned off card by card on ebay?

Was that JW Merrill's set?

Jim
  • Options
    Jim

Yes it was JW merrill's set - I remember when he started building it. I am starting to feel like a real old timer as first sky's set was retried and broken then ejguru then JW merrill and next larry?

I just realized I am going on this set like 14 years - yikes

Ed

• Options
    I am still going on it But very slow. But at least I finished it 100%
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Hi guys,

Yes I have retired the set. I reached a point where it was getting too difficult and too slow to find upgrades, and I was getting bored. Time to find another mountain to climb.

About 140 of the PSA 10s (mostly pop 1 and 2), and 80 or so of the tougher PSA 9s will appear in the upcoming Mile High auction in September. I am keeping the others for now, but may sell at a later date.

I still have 3 other sets, but not on the PSA registry. Still my favorite set of all time.

Larry
    Capecards
  • Options
    Ed,

You are leaving me in the dust here. Slow down--I'll never catch you at this rate.

I remember the days of Sky.

Larry,

I am a natural buyer of the easier 9s($100 and less cards) if you are interested in selling.

Jim
  • Options
    Larry

I will be on the look-out for the mile high auction although like Jim I am still buying some of the easier 9's

By the way I left Dan Markel off the all time list - shame on me

Jim- u know what they say about slow and steady!

• Options
    Good luck Larry with Mile High I'm sure you will do very well with the sale.
  • Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    Larry--Good luck with the sale. My sale in '08 was bittersweet--a great offer, but I miss the chase and the set. I do slightly enjoy seeing it upgraded by the current owner. Also note that Steve Saldutti (SJJS) had a top-notch set that broke before my sale.

The chase/collecting of SS HOF balls is a bit of a different thing than cards, but still enjoyable and rewarding.

Long live the '67's!! imageimage
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options
    The 67s are an extremely popular set. I was amazed at the consistently high prices the 9s got on the card by card sale of jw merrill's set. $100 per card bids for pop 10-15 cards is most often a losing bid these days. As the pops drop, the prices rise--pretty significantly.

Jim
  • Options
    Beautiful set. Who is the proud owner of the one and only PSA 10 Rod Carew RC? Is that another Dmitri Young card?
    Cardboard Zombie
    Always buying perfect 1986 Fleer Basketball PSA 10 cards and 1982 OPC Nolan Ryan cards. Thank you.
  • Options
    Dmitri Young has the only known rookie Carew PSA 10.

He also has one of the 3 known rookie Seaver PSA 10s.

Both of these are pictured in the September 2008 SMR.
    Capecards
  • Options
    Thanks for that info. Congrats on your amazing set! What do you think will be your next mountain to climb?
    Cardboard Zombie
    Always buying perfect 1986 Fleer Basketball PSA 10 cards and 1982 OPC Nolan Ryan cards. Thank you.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on a great set and good luck with the sale...Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    Shameless Plug: tonight is the last night of the auction.

Still many nice 1967 PSA 9 and 10 cards available at good prices.

Auction
    Capecards