Home Sports Talk
Options

The Texas Rangers are fading

halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
They are right on schedule for their summer plummet through the standings. Should be an interesting trade dealine as the Angels could use some help.
Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards

Comments

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    M's only 2.5 games out, with no offense. They need a bat.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    If only the Rangers could play the AL West every game, 17-6 so far this year against the Angels, Mariners, and A's. Got to figure something out against Detroit though, they have killed us so far this year.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Didn't the Rangers just sweep a series?
  • Options
    the rangers failing will be their rotation. THEY should deal prospects for Halliday, then they would win the west every year image
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go M's!

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    Yeah, I see the Halos winning the division. (Although they need an SP or two, and
    bullpen arms) But their offense is very good.

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    Should be an interesting two months to wrap up the end of the regular season. Rangers are 10-4 since the All-Star break, and we've LOST games in the standings to the Angels. Still have 10 games remaining though directly against the Angels who we haven't had any real problems with yet this year.

Maybe both teams will keep the heat on the other one enough that their records will be good enough to pass Boston/NY for the wild card spot by the end of the season. Irregardless, it's fun getting ready to watch baseball in Texas in August and have the games actually mean something.

Mike
  • Options
    Three game series with Angels starts next Friday.
  • Options
    About to go to 8 wins and 2 losses against the Halos this year. Thankfully we still have 9 games left against them head to head. Might have a chance afterall.
  • Options
    ONE GAME OUT OF THE WILD CARD !!!
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭

<< <i>ONE GAME OUT OF THE WILD CARD !!! >>

Hardly fading...
  • Options
    matthewbschultz83matthewbschultz83 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭
    Thought I'd bump this thread...

Derek Holland goes complete game shutout, only giving up 3 hits. Ranger offense pounded out 12 hits and 7 runs. So how are we on schedule to plummet? Taking 2 out of 3, 9 out 12 on the year. I love it. Yankees win tonight Rangers are tied for the Wild Card lead. So I can't believe I'm saying this....GO YANKEES!

Evidence of the Rangers ARE NOT Fading
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

Building Sets, Collecting Texas Rangers, and Texas Tech Red Raiders
  • Options
    RangermanRangerman Posts: 276 ✭✭
    The RANGERS keep surprising you non-believers. They ARE coming on, even a year earlier than I expected. Now , if only Tom Hicks would pay the player payroll. image

TONY
    Rangerman / ARMEDPILOT

B)
  • Options
    Now tied for the wild card spot.

I am calling today to reserve my playoff tickets.
  • Options
    The Rangers don't want you Bill....It's a family atmosphere.

Just kidding. I'm sure you'll have you're shirt on most of the game.

Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

• Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    Another good showing by you guys against the Angels. Should make the September games interesting.
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    Texas is the real deal. I like there chances to make the play-offs better then the Halos at this point. Our pitching sucks!
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    Favorites still got to be LA of A. I know our pitchers have been performing really well (over performing perhaps), but I'd still take Lackey, Saunders, Weaver over Millwood, Feldman, and Holland right now in a 5 game set. I think the Rangers have arrived a year or two early, but if we have a chance at the playoffs I'd like to go ahead a take advantage of it. Our hitting has been in a funk since the end of April. I think the only advantage Texas has over LA of A is our bullpen. Brian Fuentes is a blown save waiting to happen.
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

• Options
    Our bullpen will only get better. Jepsen and Bugler are the real deal and will only get better each outing. Lackey and Weaver yes, but right now Saunders is hurting (and as been for some time). Padilla seemed to handle us well. You would think he could hang with the Rangers just enought to get 2-3 more starts against there division rival. I guess Padilla was an internal nightmare?

I'd like to see both the Rangers and Halos get in and represent the west. Then the best team from there!

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    We've owned Saunders this year. Padilla was team cancer and successfully removed without further spreading. Our team is very, very young and while he wouldn't affect someone like Mike Young, Marlon Byrd, Millwood, etc. I wouldn't want him around people like Neftali Feliz (speaks no english), Elvis Andrus, Derek Holland, Julio Borbon, Tommy Hunter (the futures of our franchise). He just didn't set a good example, late to team meetings, put forth little effort on days he pitched in pregame, sat in the corners during pitchers meetings sulking by himself. On days he didn't pitch he'd go into the clubhouse and check his email, surf the web, etc. He threw at guys when he didn't want to be in the game anymore. Last week against Oakland, he plunks Suzuki (probably their best player) after a HR and after Suzuki himself hit one the day before. Next inning Michael Young gets one square in the back. Padilla could be seen laughing in the dugout (he claims he was in the clubhouse), but I saw it, Tom Greive saw it, and its been written about in our papers, and beaten to death of sports talk radio. He was just a general piece of poop.

And say what you will about Tom Hicks, he runs class organizations and expects all of his employees to act the same way. See what the Stars did when Sean Avery was acting like enima discharge at the beginning of last hockey season.

Marlon Byrd on Padilla's release, "Its about time."
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

• Options
    What a poor, poor, poor, poor, poor, and did I mention poor performance tonight. Had a chance to take the wild card lead (plus the Angels and Tampa Bay also lost so could have picked up a game on everyone) and had two strikes on the batter with two outs in the 9th, and then, bam, bam, bam. All of a sudden we are losing 8-4.

Come on Rangers, don't send me to bed with this bitter taste in my mouth.

Mike
  • Options
    It sucked Mike. It was epic kick to my loins last night....

So deflating to hear all those Red Sox Bandwagon jumpers cheer. You know its funny I don't remember seeing that many Red Sox fans before 2004.....

Tonight's another chance. I like our chances with WonderBoy on the bump.

Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

• Options
    Way to turn it around Rangers. Instead of letting last night's game affect their performance negatively tonight, they literally ran and ran and ran over the Red Sox. I don't know whether Varitek is just too old, or their pitcher was not good at holding runners, but the Rangers were running on the basepaths at will.

1/2 game back

• Options
    they should run wild on the sox again image Victor is a great hitter but sucks at throwing out runners... Varitek should be shot and put out of his misery.
  • Options
    Hell yeah!!!!

1/2 game lead now in the wildcard. Way to come back Frank Francisco.
  • Options

<< <i>Way to turn it around Rangers. Instead of letting last night's game affect their performance negatively tonight, they literally ran and ran and ran over the Red Sox. I don't know whether Varitek is just too old, or their pitcher was not good at holding runners, but the Rangers were running on the basepaths at will.

1/2 game back >>

More the former, than the latter. And it obviously got in their heads as they felt the need to send a message in the bottom of the 8th. I lost a lot of respect for Boston Saturday. What a bunch of trash. You drill a guy in the head. Go home Boston. Way to stay classy.
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

• Options
    Halosfan,

Would you edit the title to "The Texas Rangers drive for the pennant thread"

Thanks,

Mike
  • Options

Looks like the Rangers are starting to wobble a bit. 6.5 games out, but plenty to play. Is this the begin of the "fade"?? Just a few weeks later then normal??

• Options
    Lets wait until the Angels, BoSox, TB get into September, their schedule is a lot tougher than ours. We have 6 left with LAA and TB. plenty of time. Even with back to back 6th inning collapses we are still 1 game back of a playoff spot. The sky is not falling, not yet at least.
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

• Options
    I'm hoping the Rangers stay tough and at least knock the Red Sox out of the play-offs. I'll take my chances with Yanks, Tigers and Rangers

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm hoping the Rangers stay tough and at least knock the Red Sox out of the play-offs. I'll take my chances with Yanks, Tigers and Rangers >>

Keep hoping . . . . see ya in October image
  • Options
    Two weeks ago, I put our chances at 35-45%, that was before the Rangers took two out of three from Boston. As much as I've wanted to jump off the ledge the past 2 nights, I've calmed down. There are still 43 games left, and we are one back of a playoff spot. If the Rangers win and Boston loses tonight, we're tied so we are very much alive and in the mix. Look at September, ours is not too bad. The only September teams we play that have .500 or better record: LAA (9-3), TB (3-0), and Seattle (9-4).

I think this team has enough mature vetrans (especially now with Pudge) that 1 or 2 losses like that aren't going to derail this thing. I think if we miss the playoffs its not because we faded, but because the Angels and Red Sox just won more than 92, 93, 94 games which is where I think we'll finish. If thats the way it goes, then so be it. This thing is definately built for the future. Hey Boston, after tonight you going to start rooting for us? We open back to back series against TB and NYY starting Friday.
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

• Options
    The Rookie we have going tonight, Swarzack, has STRUGGLED his last 5? outings or so. He was very solid in his first few starts.
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    I just bought a pair of tickets for a Ranger - Angel showdown September 30th at the Big "A".....Could be a good one!

• Options
    Looks like the BAD version of this young kid isnt leaving anytime soon. ERA now mid 6's...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    Looks like the "fade" continues, image 11-1 over Twins, a split of the series. 5.5 back now for the division, 1 back in the wildcard. Doesn't matter to me if they win the division or win the wildcard, just make the playoffs and then the season starts over. No bye week like in football playoffs, so everyone starts fresh, and might as well take a crack at the Yankees in Round 1 'cause if we are going to get to the World Series, we would probably have to go through them eventually anyway.

Mike