Home Sports Talk
Options

Iowa high school football coach shot and killed at school

An Iowa high school football coach died Wednesday after he was shot inside the school as athletes were lifting weights, the district superintendent told CNN.

Ed Thomas had been with the school district for more than 30 years and was well-known in the region.

Ed Thomas died shortly after he arrived at Covenant Medical Center in Waterloo, Iowa, according to a hospital statement.

He was flown to a hospital after he was shot about 8:30 a.m.at Aplington-Parkersburg High School, said Holly Fokkena, Butler County auditor.

No students were injured, although about 50 students were present at the time of the shooting, she said.

One person, an adult, was taken into custody, Fokkena said.

Superintendent Jon Thompson of the Aplington-Parkersburg Community Schools said crisis counselors were on scene to assist students who witnessed the shooting.

Thompson declined to provide more details on the shooting, saying they were not clear.

Thomas had been with the school district for more than 30 years, Thompson said, and was a well-known football coach in the region.

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I wouldn't doubt if it was some a$$hole parent who was pissed that their son did not play as much as the parent wanted him to play. Whatever the reason, may he RIP.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark Becker, the 24-year-old former Aplington-Parkersburg High football player walked into the school's weight room and fatally shot coach Ed Thomas.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disturbing news.
  • Options
    This is pretty big news here.
    Ed Thomas has over 300 career victories under his belt and has 4 current former players in the NFL, this coming from a small school, this is no big 4A school. Total enrollment is around 250, not 250 per class, but 250 for the entire school. Pretty amazing that he churns out thr NFL talent and state titles.

Also, this Town also made ESPN and all the major news networks a year or two ago when it was nearly wiped off the map by a major tornado and Ed THomas and the 4 NFLer's rallied to lift the schools spirits, and and the community some money, at a time when it was needed most.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    I donjt know any details about this shooter, but Id bet the house that he was benched by this coach, and now thinks his chances of becoming ANYTHING were destroyed by this Coach? Sad...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    bighurt2000bighurt2000 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭
    Here is a link to a clip from ESPN of coach Thomas after the tornado hit the town very nice and friendly man
    who loved his town friends and players.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=3591008&categoryid=3060647

James
  • Options

<< <i>I donjt know any details about this shooter, but Id bet the house that he was benched by this coach, and now thinks his chances of becoming ANYTHING were destroyed by this Coach? Sad... >>

The guy was a 24 year old, so if he was mad about being benched, he sure took a long time to act on it.

He was a meth head and a mentally unstable person, but besides that, no specific motive has been released.

Ill take that house.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey