Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

newp fractional... but I'm not sure if I like it.

Just got this one in the mail from the UK today... and I'm not as thrilled as I'd hoped I'd be. The problem though, is that I don't know how soon until I'd find another. image

1851 Half Farthing, PCGS MS65BN. Based on the other fractionals in my collection, I think PCGS overgraded it by at least 1, and possibly 2 points. Decent lustre, lots of die anomalies, but fairly beat up around the bust. It boggles the mind that they called this one a 65, but called my 1839 quarter farthing in this thread only a 64.

Were this a garden variety 1851 I would throw it back in a heartbeat. However, this is the scarcer 1851/5581 variety (see last pic). It wasn't cheap at $425 net shipped.

What would you do?

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I like it and I'd keep it.
    Maybe it's overgraded by a point, or two, but for a rare variety (which I'm taking your word for) it's probably worth saving.

Final word: nice looking coin. image
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Maybe overgraded a point, but a very tough variety and with some interesting die breaks. If you decide not to keep it please enter me in the giveaway.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also watch that rim at 9:00 on the obverse as a bit of possible corrosion to develop inside the "finning".

Still, an interesting coin and wonder how many overdates have been missed in collections??
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, maybe overgraded a little bit, due to the chatter on the obverse, but otherwise, what's not to like?

I agree with you that it's overgraded by one and maybe two points. I would be more of the 63 opinion, personally, but when dealing with TPGs (or anyone else, for that matter), you're gonna have discrepancies like that. So what if you happen to be specialized enough in your knowledge that you'd notice something like that- most people wouldn't.

Scarce variety, if you say so, nice color and satiny luster. Cool crackage up top on the obverse.

A great looking coin. If the price was OK, don't fret. Technical grade ain't everything.

Then again, if you feel like you'll be able to replace this variety with a better coin at the same price within a reasonable time period, and the overgrading bugs you, return it or take up the issue with PCGS.

But I like it.

I don't see anything at 9:00 on the obverse as 7jags mentioned?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.