Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Has anyone requested the Future Basketball HOF set?

And if so, what is the status?
I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !

Comments

• Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    I didn't see a request for it on the PSA request list.
    That would be a cool set if it was done like the football one.
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    I actually started putting one together a year or two ago, but did not finish. I have since stopped collecting basketball. I believe the voting took place in the HOF RC thread.

I will see if I can find the original post.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

Ok, Guys ... I think most of these are "no brainers"

In alphabetical order

Bryant, Kobe
    Dantley, Adrian
    Duncan, Tim
    Ewing, Patrick
    Garnett, Kevin
    Iverson, Allen
    James, Lebron
    Johnson, Dennis
    Kidd, Jason
    Malone, Karl
    McGrady, Tracy
    Miller, Reggie
    Nash, Steve
    Nowitski, Dirk
    Olajuwan, Akeem
    O'neal, Shaquille
    Payton, Gary
    Pippen, Scottie

And these are the other players mentioned that should be voted upon. Copy and paste this group and simply put a yes or no after their name. If you don't know enough about them, just leave it blank.

Allen, Ray
    Carter, Vince
    Cheeks, Maurice
    Cooper, Cynthia
    Davis, Walter
    Divac, Vlade
    Gilmore, Artis
    Guerin, Rich
    Haywood, Spencer
    Hill, Grant
    Holdsclaw, Chamique
    Johnson, Gus
    Jones, Bobby
    King, Bernard
    Lambier, Bill
    Leslie, Lisa
    Montcrief, Sidney
    Mullin, Chris
    Mutumbo, Dikembe
    Pierce, Paul
    Richmond, Mitch
    Rodman, Dennis
    Sabonis, Arvidas
    Sampson, Ralph
    Staley, Dawn
    Swoopes, Sheryl
    Walker, Chet
    Webber, Chris
    Wallace, Rasheed
    White, Jo Jo

If you disagree with anything thus far, let me know, I will not be offended if you tell me that Cynthia Cooper should be a "no-brainer".

Keep in mind that this is the "Basketball" HOF and not the NBA HOF. Some of the players you may ask """What!??" (Sabonis, Divac), but keep in mind their stellar International and college play.
    Dave

Here were the one's we voted on

10 votes
    Cooper, Cynthia
    Leslie, Lisa
    Swoopes, Sheryl

9 votes
    Gilmore, Artis

8 votes
    Sabonis, Arvidas

7 votes
    Haywood, Spencer
    King, Bernard

6 votes
    Carter, Vince
    Holdsclaw, Chamique
    Mullin, Chris
    Rodman, Dennis

5 votes-------------------------------CUT LINE______________________________

4 votes
    Allen, Ray
    Montcrief, Sidney
    Walker, Chet
    Webber, Chris

3 votes
    Guerin, Rich
    Hill, Grant
    Pierce, Paul
    Richmond, Mitch
    Staley, Dawn
    White, Jo Jo

2 votes
    Cheeks, Maurice
    Davis, Walter
    Divac, Vlade
    Mutumbo, Dikembe

1 vote
    Johnson, Gus
    Sampson, Ralph
    Wallace, Rasheed

0 votes
    Jones, Bobby
    Lambier, Bill

Any suprises??

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I remember that topic, but I wasn't sure if it had been formally submitted. I think it would be a fun one to work on, though there are quite a few definites not on that list.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    I dropped the ball as far as submitting the set. Someone else is more than welcome to take the info above and make changes/submit it to PSA.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Just curious......Who are the definates that are excluded?

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    fujfuj Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I dropped the ball as far as submitting the set. Someone else is more than welcome to take the info above and make changes/submit it to PSA.

Dave >>

I'd be willing to take the task on. Let me make a list of the cards and then I'll post it for review.
  • Options
    Oops, I missed the entire first part of the post that listed Tim Duncan, Shaq, Kobe, Mcgrady etc. I figured they were already included, but was only looking at the names that were put to a vote. My mistake.
  • Options
    OK everyone, sorry for the delay in posting this. I was vacation for most of the last 2 weeks and finally got a chance to look up all of the cards. I took Dave's list that everyone voted on along with some of the debate we had earlier in this same thread to compile a list of the RCs for each player. There are going to be a couple that might cause some additional debate so I'll address the choices later. The list:

1971 Topps #20 Spencer Haywood
    1972 Topps #180Artis Gilmore
    1978 Topps #78 Dennis Johnson
    1978 Topps #75 Bernard King
    1986 Fleer #32 Patrick Ewing
    1986 Fleer #68 Karl Malone
    1986 Fleer #77 Chris Mullin
    1988 Fleer #20 Scottie Pippen
    1988 Fleer #43 Dennis Rodman
    1988 Fleer #57 Reggie Miller
    1990 Skybox #365 Gary Payton
    1992 UD #1 Shaquille O'Neal
    1994 Finest #286 Jason Kidd
    1994 UD USA #81 Lisa Leslie
    1994 UD USA #84 Sheryl Swoopes
    1995 Finest #115 Kevin Garnett
    1995 Flair #217 Arvydas Sabonis
    1996 Topps Chrome #138 Kobe Bryant
    1996 Topps Chrome #171 Allen Iverson
    1996 Topps Chrome #182 Steve Nash
    1997 Pinnacle Inside WNBA #2 Cynthia Cooper
    1997 SP Authentic #166 Tracy McGrady
    1997 Topps Chrome #115 Tim Duncan
    1998 SP Authentic #95 Vince Carter
    1998 SP Authentic #99 Dirk Nowitzki
    1999 Ultra WNBA #102 Chamique Holdsclaw

The cards that were somewhat debatable were the following:

1) 1990 Skybox #365 Gary Payton - some will argue that the Fleer Update should be selected but I chose the Skybox for 2 reasons. First, the Skybox product was red hot at the time of release and made an impact within the hobby. Second, this RC was in a base set released in packs rather than an update set. We've already had this debate so I hope there are no objections.

2) 1994 Finest #286 Jason Kidd - I'm sure there will be support for the SP RC but past sales of the SP are not clearly stronger than the Finest RC. Also, just a quick scan of the Beckett showed the Finest RC at $25 while the SP books for only $8.

3) 1995 Flair #217 Arvydas Sabonis - almost none have been graded so not much to go on. The highest Beckett values were for the Flair and the E-Xl at just $1.50 each. I chose the Flair simply because it is a much more attractive card.

4) 1997 Topps Chrome #115 Tim Duncan - Tough choice here but this was very similar to the Kidd situation. Past sales don't really seem to indicate a strong preference for the SP RC and the Chrome has a higher Beckett value than the SP ($40 vs $25). Strangely enough, the McGrady SP RC has a higher Beckett value than the Chrome - no idea why.

I will have to make one confession to the above however. I was using a Beckett price guide from late 2008 when I was looking up all of the above cards so there is a chance some values have changed slightly. Given that none of the players above has done anything noteworthy that would change their card values significantly, I am assuming little has changed in the last year+ with respect to their Beckett prices.

Depending on how much input I get here, I'll submit the list in about a week.

Greg

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Ewing is a present HOF, not Future.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    Duncan's SP rookie is definitely more valuable than Topps Chrome. I would have gone with Fleer Update for Payton and SP for Kidd, once again based on sales. Not a big deal though because there can be either/or selections when these guys hit the HOF rookie set. Thanks for doing the legwork.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Remember, You can now do either/or for some of those cards.
    Just like the Petrovic in the HOF RC set.

And I also agree with the SP Duncan over the chrome.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    If I voted for cards
    payton fleer update
    kidd finest
    duncan sp

most sets run a vote count of the people who might like to do the set
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    The McCgrady Sp Authentic is so much more valuable because it was in the foil RC subset, while Duncan's SP Auth RC is a regular issue non foil card. The Mcgrady card is actually an extremely tough card in PSA 9, let alone PSA 10, despite the fact that it is not a rare card ungraded. It is similar to the Jeter and Rodriguez SP RC's as far as condition sensitivity goes. The prices on this one have dropped as his health has declined, but it is unquestionably the card to get of Mcgrady.
  • Options
    You are missing Lebron on your list......

What card would you choose of him? There's only about a thousand to choose from..

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    I will have to disagree with you guys on the Duncan card. I have always collected all of his cards and without a doubt the ULTRA card is his rarest and most valuable card . It is also a great looking card. Take a look at it and you will see that this should be his card in this set. I hope you guys at least add it as an either/or.

Also, Cynthia Cooper has already been inducted to the HOF so she should be added to the current HOF rookies and not the future HOFers.
  • Options
    We are also missing Dwayne Wade. He has to be added don't you think?
  • Options
    Cooper is not in the HOF yet.

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    I remember buying several of those Tim Duncan Ultra PSA 9's about ten years ago. Within a year, I think they were selling over $400 and were very tough to find. I agree that it is the toughest regular issue RC of TD.
  • Options
    I just looked at the list of sets waiting to be added to the registry and I see that the future HOFers BKB is 10th on the list. Somebody must have submitted this set a while back.
  • Options
    Cool, I didn't realize you could look up which sets had been requested!
  • Options

<< <i>Cool, I didn't realize you could look up which sets had been requested! >>

Where do I go to see that?
  • Options
    Click on set registry and then set requests. Scroll down and you will see the list of sets waiting to be added. I didn't know this either. I found out this was possible this week reading other threads here in the message board.
  • Options
    Thank you!
  • Options

<< <i>Ewing is a present HOF, not Future.

Nick >>

Not sure how I missed that one!
  • Options

<< <i>I will have to disagree with you guys on the Duncan card. I have always collected all of his cards and without a doubt the ULTRA card is his rarest and most valuable card . It is also a great looking card. Take a look at it and you will see that this should be his card in this set. I hope you guys at least add it as an either/or. >>

I recall that card being very hard to find when it was first issued but haven't tracked sales of slabbed copies. Still, the Beckett value is only around $15 so it has dropped considerably since release.

I realize that most people are wanting the SP as the key Duncan RC but I don't think it is warranted based on previous sales. Granted the SP doesn't come up for sale in a PSA slab as frequently as the Chrome but I have generally seen them sell for right about in the same range. The only recent sales I could find were of PSA 10's shown here:

SP Duncan PSA 10

Topps Chrome Duncan PSA 10

Of course this is only one example of each but even in PSA 9, both cards sell for right around $10. Since the prices realized was close, I chose the card with the higher Beckett value as a tie breaker.

With respect to the Kidd card, I pretty much have seen the same thing.

All of the debate is probably a moot point since it sounds like the set was already requested by someone. I guess we can just wait and see what it looks like since it shouldn't be too far off from being available.
  • Options
    I am surprised that Tim Hardaway does not get more respect. I am not saying he is necessarily a HOFer, but he doesn't seem to get mentioned much at all in the discussions. What do you folks think?
  • Options
    Tim Hardaway is one of my all time favorite players (I'm a Warriors fan) but I can't support him being a Hall of Famer. Great player but not quite HOF worthy.

Will always remember the "I got skeelz" commercial.
  • Options
    GOODLIEUGOODLIEU Posts: 629 ✭✭
    Tim Hardaway was defintely a very good player but kind of falls into that level just below HOF status. Other players that come to mind for me were Mitch Richmond his old running mate at Golden state, Glen Rice, Tom Chambers and some vintage players World B Free and Spenser Haywood.
  • Options
    Goodlieu,

I just scanned your sets and would love to hear where you got the 1957 Topps Basketball Yardley RC PSA 10!
    Was that a self submission? Wow!
  • Options
    The set is finally up. It feels a little too heavy on current players but maybe it is just me. The weights have not been set so we should try to work them out and submit it to PSA. Let me know what you guys think.
  • Options
    I can't believe it but whoever submitted the set didn't add Dennis Johnson to it. We will have to vote him in.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    I guess there was no room for DJ in the set with Tom Chambers in there. image Come on now. He has absolutely no shot to get in the HOF. And Ben Wallace? Ditto.

Also, why is Dirk's Topps Chrome rookie in the set. SP is clearly the more valuable of the two. The last PSA 10's of each went for $7 and $47, respectively. We probably should have voted on this first.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

<< <i>I guess there was no room for DJ in the set with Tom Chambers in there. image Come on now. He has absolutely no shot to get in the HOF. And Ben Wallace? Ditto.

Also, why is Dirk's Topps Chrome rookie in the set. SP is clearly the more valuable of the two. The last PSA 10's of each went for $7 and $47, respectively. We probably should have voted on this first. >>

After all the discussion we've had about this set, I'm pretty disappointed with the players and cards that were included. There were a bunch where I'm scratching my head and going, huh?!!

I mean come on:

Penny Hardaway - Tim has a better chance but neither should be on this list
    Tom Chambers - isn't there a slam dunk winner set or something for him?
    Jerry Sloan - as a coach yes, but not a player
    Mark Jackson - are you serious?!
    Stephon Marbury?
    Mo Cheeks
    Mark Aguirre
    Westphal
    Walter Davis

Lots of good players there but no way are they hall worthy.

For many of the newer players, I think it's way too premature. Take the example of Yao Ming - I now believe his career is going to be shortened to the point he won't achieve the #'s necessary to get in.

As for the card selection, clearly someone likes Topps Chrome.

We need to figure out how to bring some order to this set rather than submitting to the whims of one collector.

• Options
    Here's the full list:

1961 FLEER RICHIE GUERIN
    1961 FLEER RUDY LARUSSO
    1961 FLEER DON OHL
    1969 TOPPS LOU HUDSON
    1969 TOPPS CHET WALKER
    1970 TOPPS BOB DANRIDGE
    1970 TOPPS NORM VAN LIER
    1970 TOPPS JOJO WHITE
    1970 TOPPS JERRY SLOAN
    1971 TOPPS SPENCER HAYWOOD
    1972 TOPPS ARTIS GILMORE
    1972 TOPPS GEORGE MCGINNIS
    1973 TOPPS PAUL WESTPHAL
    1978 TOPPS WALTER DAVIS
    1978 TOPPS BERNARD KING
    1980 TOPPS MAURICE CHEEKS
    1986 FLEER MARK AGUIRRE
    1986 FLEER TOM CHAMBERS
    1986 FLEER KARL MALONE
    1986 FLEER CHRIS MULLIN
    1988 FLEER SCOTTIE PIPPEN
    1988 FLEER DENNIS RODMAN
    1988 FLEER REGGIE MILLER
    1988 FLEER MARK JACKSON
    1989 FLEER KEVIN JOHNSON
    1989 HOOPS MITCH RICHMOND
    1990 FLEER TIM HARDAWAY
    1990 FLEER UPDATE GARY PAYTON
    1991 HOOPS DIKEMBE MUTOMBO
    1992 UPPER DECK SHADUILLE O'NEAL
    1992 UPPER DECK ALONZO MOURNING
    1993 FINEST TONI KUKOC
    1993 FINEST ANFERNEE HARDAWAY
    1993 FINEST CHRIS WEBBER
    1994 FINEST GRANT HILL
    1994 FINEST JASON KIDD
    1995 FINEST KEVIN GARNETT
    1996 FLEER BEN WALLACE
    1996 TOPPS CHROME KOBE BRYANT
    1996 TOPPS CHROME ALLEN IVERSON
    1996 TOPPS CHROME STEPHON MARBURY
    1996 TOPPS CHROME STEVE NASH
    1996 TOPPS CHROME RAY ALLEN
    1997 TOPPS CHROME TIM DUNCAN
    1997 TOPPS CHROME TRACY MCGRADY
    1998 TOPPS CHROME PAUL PIERCE
    1998 TOPPS CHROME DIRK NOWITZKI
    1998 TOPPS CHROME VINCE CARTER
    1999 TOPPS CHROME RICHARD HAMILTON
    1999 TOPPS CHROME ELTON BRAND
    1999 TOPPS CHROME BARON DAVIS
    1999 TOPPS CHROME SHAWN MARION
    2001 TOPPS CHROME PAU GASOL
    2001 TOPPS CHROME TONY PARKER
    2001 TOPPS CHROME GILBERT ARENAS
    2002 TOPPS CHROME MANU GINOBLI
    2002 TOPPS CHROME AMARE STOUDEMIRE
    2002 TOPPS CHROME YAO MING
    2003 TOPPS CHROME LEBRON JAMES
    2003 TOPPS CHROME CARMELO ANTHONY
    2003 TOPPS CHROME CHRIS BOSH
    2003 TOPPS CHROME DWAYNE WADE
  • Options
    Well, I don't know who took the lead, but do we still have the option of trying to tweak the players and card choices?
    There are some that I think most would agree on that we could do relatively easily.