Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Need some help with German translation...

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
What does "schabspur" mean?
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    scrape? -Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think schabspurs are those painful little spiny things that grow in the dunes near the beach.

No, wait- those are sandspurs. Sorry. image

(That lame joke probably went right over the head of the folks who aren't from Georgia, Florida, or the Gulf states.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Time for some sleep Rob?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alas, no. Time to get ready for another graveyard shift. You think I'm loopy now, just wait until my early morning posts.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

• << <i>I think schabspurs are those painful little spiny things that grow in the dunes near the beach.

(That lame joke probably went right over the head of the folks who aren't from Georgia, Florida, or the Gulf states.) >>

Ahh, the nemesis of every barefoot kid when I was growing up!
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I think schabspurs are those painful little spiny things that grow in the dunes near the beach.

(That lame joke probably went right over the head of the folks who aren't from Georgia, Florida, or the Gulf states.) >>

Ahh, the nemesis of every barefoot kid when I was growing up! >>

In Texas, we called them Goat Heads...........the older, big ones turn purple, and are about 3-4x this one below.

Whilst playing football, the coaches reserved a huge patch of the practice field which was covered in goat heads for either the entire team if we lost, or teammates who played poorly........missed tackles were a big, NO,NO!!!!!!!

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>I think schabspurs are those painful little spiny things that grow in the dunes near the beach.

Ahh, the nemesis of every barefoot kid when I was growing up! >>

In Texas, we called them Goat Heads...........the older, big ones turn purple, and are about 3-4x this one below.

Whilst playing football, the coaches reserved a huge patch of the practice field which was covered in goat heads for either the entire team if we lost, or teammates who played poorly........missed tackles were a big, NO,NO!!!!!!! >>

Here in Oregon we call them Tac-Weeds
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the help!
    Andy Lustig

• worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't 'schab' literally mean push? I suspect that it is refers to a pronounced contact hit or bump in the field of the coin. See the following auction on MA-Shops for a clue.

link to MA-Shops auction

Schab = scrape. -Preussen

• << <i>Doesn't 'schab' literally mean push? I suspect that it is refers to a pronounced contact hit or bump in the field of the coin. See the following auction on MA-Shops for a clue. >>

Schieben is to push.

Schabe is scrape or a type of bug (Kuechenschabe is a c@ck roach).

A severe scrape is a Schramme. Kratzer is a scratch.

Spur is track, lane or trace.

Yup, it refers to the scrape in front of her chin.
    Coinborg: Your distinctive coins will be added to my collection.
    BS&T image : kryptonitecomics, PCcoins (2x), Spoon (7x), Coppercolor, Preussen (2x), Filamcoins, agentjim007, CB2597, DCW, 1960NYGiants
    Ebay: + <waitin'> NEG: Chameleoncoins
    NonBST/Ebay: image Rick's Coins
    WTB: Toners, BU Darkside, Sovs & 20 Mark, LMU/SMU Gold.
  • FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

From my German Opa ......

Schaben is a verb and means to scrape.

Spur is a noun and means a track.

Thus a Schabspur could be a track left behind after someone has scraped something, say the track of a knife on a table or on a window pane etc.

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perfect. Thanks!
    Andy Lustig

<< <i>Thus a Schabspur could be a track left behind after someone has scraped something, say the track of a knife on a table or on a window pane etc. >>

Je$us Chri$t on a popsicle stick; isn't the "track left behind after someone has scraped something" called a SCRAPE? -Preussen