Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1967 Topps or 1967 Philadelphia? I've Decided Scans Added

I've decided to turn back the clock on my next set build. I'm frankly not interested in pack breaking hoping that I will pull that low #'d card with an auto or some type of clothing on it. Nor do I wish to need cards that are seemingly being held hostage by a seller who dreams they will get high bv on their treasured cards. My 2000 CE Supreme set build is rapidly winding down due to the scarcity of cards being listed and I've simply lost interest in the Topps Cracker Jack set that I started. So last night I was thinking about starting from the beginning with the first set when I began opening packs, 1977 Topps. But I felt that I wanted something more so I decided on my birth year but I can't decide on 1967 Topps football or 1967 Philadelphia football set. I figure that I would buy lots and piece together an acceptable set and then of course pick up graded cards on the way.

Any recommendations would be helpful.

Comments

• Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a complete 1967 Philly Set on ebay a few months back. I'm not that thrilled. It's in great condition, and there are some cool cards, including 2nd year Butkus and Sayers, and nice Leroy Kelly RC. But the cards are just plain dull and the brown backs are ugly. On the upside, there's approx 200 cards, with some neat logos, plays, team cards, etc. if I remember correctly. I forgot, a cool Dan Reeves RC.

The 67 Topps set is interesting, I love the checklists. Nice player selection, but no kick-butt RC's. Namath is the key of course. I used to like the front design, now I'm not into it as much, but I do like the backs and the bright yellow colors. I am looking for a wax box for 67 Topps which features the same trippy design as the checklists.

FYI, my Philly set was $125, but that seems a bit low. 67 Topps are expensive these days for what you get, but I would think for $400 you could get a nice EX-MT set with some graded stars.

Frankly, if you want to have some fun, go after the 65 Tall Boys. Except for the Namath, which I believe will go down in value over the next few years, its easy to but together in EX, and the cards are SHARP!!!!!! One of my all time favs is the Kemp from that year.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • 65's would be a little much but you would say that you prefer the Topps over the Philadelphia's. I might have to buy a couple of each to decide.
  • PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    The 67 Topps design is one of the very best ever. The cards are gorgeous!!! And to complete a set, it isn't gobs of cards. The Philly set is the fourth in a series of the same old crap. I think individually, the Philly cards are decent. My issue is that one year is essentially the same as the next. I think they designed cards with a car mentality. The 65 model needs to be a little different than the 64 model, but not too different because people need to recognize it as a Philadelphia Gum football card. And the 66 and the 67 aren't much different. Conversely, the Topps issues from 64-67 are radically different. Other than ripping off 55 Bowman (or Drakes if you go back that far) for the 66 set, the sets are all unique and fun. I'd grab some of those 67 Topps and go have some fun, just like the old AFL did.

Sam
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Do what I did, collect both, and combine into one binder. Then you will have AFL and NFL together. You won't break the bank on nice raw sets in NMT condition.

The Topps cards are easier to find in PSA 8/9, if that matters to you.
    Capecards
  • I like this idea. Nice to have both NFL and AFL cards. Plus, you could put both sets together in nice condition for under $1000. I have some extra '67 Philadelphia cards if you ever want to trade.
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    (1967 Philadelphia) "...with some neat logos, plays, team cards, etc...."

/////////////////

Those are the cards that make me prefer this set.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>The 67 Topps design is one of the very best ever. The cards are gorgeous!!! And to complete a set, it isn't gobs of cards. The Philly set is the fourth in a series of the same old crap. I think individually, the Philly cards are decent. My issue is that one year is essentially the same as the next. I think they designed cards with a car mentality. The 65 model needs to be a little different than the 64 model, but not too different because people need to recognize it as a Philadelphia Gum football card. And the 66 and the 67 aren't much different. Conversely, the Topps issues from 64-67 are radically different. Other than ripping off 55 Bowman (or Drakes if you go back that far) for the 66 set, the sets are all unique and fun. I'd grab some of those 67 Topps and go have some fun, just like the old AFL did.

Sam >>

I have been screwing around with cards for about 8 years now, and have graded a fair number of Phillys, and yet you could put a gun to my head and I couldn't tell you the difference offhand between a '64, '65 and '66. The '67's, obviously, are easily distinguished, but as you say the first three years are more like three series' of the same set.
  • cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    I personally like both sets, but feel the '67 AFL set is one of the best looking sets of the decade. The photography on the Phily set is somewhat odd too on some cards.

If you're an NFL guy, you go w/the Philly set. An AFL fan, you buy the Topps set. The combination of buying both sets and putting them in 9 pocket sheets seems like a great plan too.

There's only a handful of tough cards in the Topps set. The Philadelphia set has many, many difficult cards to find in high grade.
    If you're building the sets in graded form like PSA 8 or higher, go with the Topps set if you want to get it completed in less than two years. The Philly set will take you much longer.
  • I might try both but for some reason I'm leaning towards the Philadelphia set. Heck that set is the best thing to come out of Philadelphia since the Declaration of Independence.image
  • Well for some reason I went with the Philadelphia. I guess the oddball collector in me directed me towards this set. I will purchase some big lots and pickup graded cards on the way. Here's what I have so far.
    imageimage

I just HAD to have this one

• Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a sweet checklist. Both of mine are unmarked and centered, great corners, but with a wrinkle at the very top. image The set is more for fun and presentation than grading.

BTW, My Kelly RC is PHAT but its O/C, apparently a major problem, which is why PSA 7s and 8s are going for a premium.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I finally finished the set a few years ago after starting it in 1990. One of the first 60's sets I finished. I think I have most of the Cowboy team doubles. I may part with them in a trade for other 60's football if you are interested. All are raw. PM me if you are interested.
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

• << <i>That's a sweet checklist. Both of mine are unmarked and centered, great corners, but with a wrinkle at the very top. image The set is more for fun and presentation than grading.

BTW, My Kelly RC is PHAT but its O/C, apparently a major problem, which is why PSA 7s and 8s are going for a premium. >>

Yep, I've noticed that his higher graded RC's are going for a premium price which is the reason I bought mine. I figured there was no way in hell I was going to pay that kinda dough.

• << <i>I finally finished the set a few years ago after starting it in 1990. One of the first 60's sets I finished. I think I have most of the Cowboy team doubles. I may part with them in a trade for other 60's football if you are interested. All are raw. PM me if you are interested. >>

Sorry the only 60's cards I own are the Philadelphia's.
  • AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭
    boy are those yellow!

cool set.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS