Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

PSA and 1964 O-Pee-Chee (OPC)

I have sent emails several times in the past couple years telling them
that there is NO SUCH THING as a 1964 OPC card, or Wax Pack or Box.

They still don't seem to get it. Can anyone else please shed some light
on why they would even list this stuff on the Registry in packs etc?

Thanks,
Tony

Comments

• Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    Tony, you are 100% correct.
    No idea why they have that listed.
    Maybe your post will get them to fix it?

Tom
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    I liken this to the 1989 Topps Football thing. OPC made their own French/English wrappers (with the OPC logo) but the cards inside were Topps cards. Baseball cards were available in Canada before 1965, they were just Topps cards. I suspect OPC rebranded the wrappers before 1965. If anything, PSA should label them 1964 Topps (OPC wrapper variation).
    Do You Collect image Baseball 1937,1965-94,2008-09?
    Or Regional Canadian Baseball Issues?
    Come be a contributor to the OPC Baseball Wiki. It's free and easy!
    OPeeChee.Wikispaces.Com
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I liken this to the 1989 Topps Football thing. OPC made their own French/English wrappers (with the OPC logo) but the cards inside were Topps cards.
    Baseball cards were available in Canada before 1965, they were just Topps cards. I suspect OPC rebranded the wrappers before 1965.

If anything, PSA should label them 1964 Topps (OPC wrapper variation). >>

• Options
    QUITCRABQUITCRAB Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭
    Just a quick 1960s OPC note-I collect Brooks Robinson and his 1965 OPC card doesnt have OPC printed on the back. I believe there is one other guy (common) in the set that doesnt have OPC on it too...... the way to tell the OPC Robinson from the regular topps issue is card stock...the OPC is Gray and the regular topps is white.
    Scott

• Options

WOW--TO PSA's credit, they just informed me that they took
    the 1964 OPC out !

I have to admit, that was VERY VERY fast on their part!

It has now been settled and hopefully it is no longer an issue!

mikeschmidt--paranoid? I just wanted them to fix a VERY
    HUGE ERROR! Why do you ask? Who are you? What do
    you want? Have you been following me? Has PSA talked
    to you? Did you post a note about me? When are you going
    to stop harassing me? Who else is reading this? Do you work
    at PSA? image
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    The wrapper above that Bob pictured was for a product intended for distribution in Canada. The toy advertising was removed and replaced with the young Canada's favorite message. It says right on it that it was made and distributed by the O-Pee-Chee company. After they wrapped their O-Pee-Chee wrapper around the cards and gum inside the finished product was an O-Pee-Chee pack, made and distributed by O-Pee-Chee and intended for sale in Canada.

Here's a wrapper that Topps made for selling their cards and gum, a Topps pack, to US citizens.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380132714526&viewitem=&salenotsupported

Bob's wrapper is an O-Pee-Chee wrapper. If it contained cards and gum it would be an O-Pee-Chee pack. If the pack was in a special box made and marked by O-Pee-Chee for selling cards in Canada then it would be an O-Pee-Chee box. The contents of the pack doesn't change the name of the product being sold. Since there's obviously such a thing as a 1964 O-Pee-Chee pack then PSA should identify the pack correctly. If there's a "Topps pack" registry it should not be included, but if there's an "O-Pee-Chee pack" registry then it should be listed.
  • Options
    KbKards.....

But it DOES NOT have OPC cards in the pack, so technically, it is a TOPPS pack (IMHO).

Same would go for if it was turned around .... A Topps pack with OPC cards would not
    be good for Topps. Again, my opinion.

I know the nuances of the packs and such, I just don't agree that it should be included
    in with OPC packs that have O-Pee-Chee cards.

On another point on this, just because the wrapper was PRODUCED in Canada, does NOT
    inofitself (?) make it OPC, ESPECIALLY since it does NOT include Canadian PRODUCED OPC
    cards.

Tony
    KalineFan

• Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭

<< <i>On another point on this, just because the wrapper was PRODUCED in Canada, does NOT inofitself (?) make it OPC, ESPECIALLY since it does NOT include Canadian PRODUCED OPC cards. >>

And that also falls in line with the hockey packs produced in the 50s and 60s. All wrappers from those sets have designations that they were distributed by OPC but have always been considered Topps cards. It wasn't until 1968 (when Topps and OPC produced two separate sets)did OPC exist as a separate hockey set. The bottom line is as long as Topps and OPC cards had marked variations (e.g. language, card stock/color, etc) could they be considered one or another.

1964, I'm guessing, was simply the first year that Topps sold baseball cards to the Canadian market. (Maybe they knew the Expos would arrive a few years later.)