Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Let me guess what the Thomas Irwin Lincoln 09-58 set could look like.....

I have been thinking about this and have worked from the following assumptions:

It is a stunning set - (Blay posts)
All P's are 67RD+ (forum posts)
ID of some coins from coingallery.org (Blay and T.I.) - photos there are great and worth the visit!
34-58 short set is only missing 35D and 41 in 68RD (Herndon set has both pop. 1's and the math works for the set rating)
All coins pop. 3 or higher are in set (a la Blay)

I have not asked any dealers for information so that trust is not violated, this is simply an exercise in logic and public data

That being said, it suggests the following set:

09 MS67RD
09S MS67RD
09 VDB MS67RD (Could be 68RD? not accounted for in sets)
09S VDB MS67RD
10 MS67RD
10S MS66RD (Could be 67RD - two known)
11 MS67RD
11D MS67RD (Coingallery.org picture)
11S MS66RD (Blay has Pop 1)
12 MS67RD
12D MS66RD
12S MS65RD
13 MS67RD
13D MS66RD
13S MS65RD (Could be 66RD - two known)
14 MS67RD
14D MS66RD
14S MS66RD
15 MS67RD (Blay has Pop 1)
15D MS66RD
15S MS66RD
16 MS67RD
16D MS66RD
16S MS65RD
17 MS67RD (Blay has Pop 1)
17D MS66RD
17S MS65RD (Blay has Pop 1)
18 MS67RD (Blay has Pop 1)
18D MS66RD (Could be MS67RD - one known)
18S MS65RD
19 MS68RD (Blay has Pop 1)
19D MS66RD (Blay has Pop 1)
19S MS66RD (Coingallery.org picture)
20 MS67RD
20D MS66RD
20S MS65RD
21 MS67RD (Could be 68RD as Blay has one leaving other unaccounted for in sets)
21S MS65RD
22D MS66RD
23 MS67RD (Blay has Pop 1)
23S MS65RD
24 MS67RD (Coingallery.org picture)
24D MS65RD (Could be 66RD as it is not accounted for in public sources)
24S MS65RD
25 MS67RD
25D MS65RD (Blay has Pop 1)
25S MS65RD
26 MS67RD
26D MS65RD (Could be 66rd as Blay has one and other can not be accounted for in public sources)
26S MS64RD
27 MS67RD
27D MS66RD (Coingallery.org picture)
27S MS65RD
28 MS67RD
28D MS66RD
28S MS66RD
29 MS67RD
29D MS66RD
29S MS66RD
30 MS68RD (Coingallery.org picture)
30D MS67RD
30S MS67RD
31 MS67RD
31D MS67RD (Coingallery.org picture)
31S MS66RD
32 MS67RD
32D MS67RD
33 MS67RD
33D MS67RD
34 MS68RD (Coingallery.org picture)
34D MS67RD
35 MS68RD (Coingallery.org picture)
35D MS67RD
35S MS67RD
36 MS67RD
36D MS67RD
36S MS67RD
37 MS68RD (Coingallery.org picture)
37D MS68RD (Coingallery.org picture)
37S MS67RD
38 MS67RD
38D MS68RD (Coingallery.org picture)
38S MS67RD
39 MS68RD (Coingallery.org picture)
39D MS68RD (Coingallery.org picture)
39S MS67RD
40 MS68RD (Coingallery.org picture)
40D MS68RD (Coingallery.org picture)
40S MS68RD (Coingallery.org picture)
41 MS67RD
41D MS67RD
41S MS67RD
42 MS67RD
42D MS68RD (Coingallery.org picture)
42S MS68RD (Coingallery.org picture)
43PDS MS68
44 MS67RD
44D MS68RD (Coingallery.org picture)
44S MS67RD
45-55D MS67RD
55S MS68RD (Coingallery.org picture)
56-58D MS67RD

This has been a little bit of work with pop reports and internet searches but has been interesting particularly with my interest in Lincolns.

Has anyone done this for other sets?

It has been a slow weekend and I am waiting for June 30th deadline for the Registry Sets!

Comments

• 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't. I'm curious, what happens on June 30?
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • I've heard his 24-d and 26-d are both ms66rd.
    His Memorials are all top pop coins, at least for the 1959-1998 portion, except if you distinguish the 1982 varieties. In fact, he does not have all P Lincolns 1909-date in 67rd+, he's missing 82 bronze small date. I have that. It'll be pop 1/0 as soon as I get it designated.
  • jy8sjy8s Posts: 113 ✭✭
    It's posted and open and I did pretty well, he does have the 10-S that is in 67RD.

Where do these coins hide for all the years?????
  • DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! He must have seen your post and decided to just let it all hang out!

Congrats to Gerry (and Andy, my favorite dealer too)
    Doug
  • SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Gerry's 1909 thru 1958 BASIC Lincoln cents set, #1 of 259 posted is now OPEN. Post a comment for Gerry if you wish. Steveimage
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this is one set that individual coins are much more impressive interdependently of one another than the total sum of the collection. When your holding the top pops of just about every Lincoln graded...now that is something. I would love to find out if he made any of these coins himself so I will ask him.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • jy8sjy8s Posts: 113 ✭✭
    It is an amazing set and I agree, I wonder how many of the coins were made by him.

There are only seven coins that would be upgrades that are not accounted for in other sets. Talk about looking for a needle in a haystack.

Great Job in putting together a tremendous set!
  • RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Owned: 10 pop 1/0's

Unowned: 13 with the higher pop 1/0 (most Stewart's)

Odds on this status will never change. Can we say battlefield?

• OMG!!
    What has the world come to??!! Cats and dogs living together. It's chaos!
    Gerry takes the number one spot.

This is really quite amazing. I wasn't sure if this set would top Stewart's. Now I know!

I think I have to take the rest of the day off from work to let this settle in. I'm in shock.

Jack

• GerryGerry Posts: 456
    Thank you to everyone who has posted here and on other CU threads, and to the many others who have emailed me, about my Lincolns, The Thomas Irwin Collection. I very much appreciate the comments and want to use this forum to express that appreciation.

As several of you know, Andy Skrabalak, has been a friend and mentor on much of my collection. In addition to selling me many coins, he has been generous in offering me his unbiased opinions on many others and allowing me to compare and swap many coins that came through his inventory if I thought them better than ones I had. He is a great guy and I owe him a deep sense of gratitude.

I’ll mention a few other fellow hobbyists at the risk of later regretting that I left out a name or two. On the memorial side of the collection, I owe much of what I have to Mark Di Lauro, who, in 2000 through 2002, often offered me a pop 1 memorial every week or so. And many of them have stayed low pops if not pop 1s. When it comes to modern coins, no one is sharper than Mark.

I am honored to be mentioned in the same sentence with Stewart Blay, who I regard as one of the great coin collectors of all time. We are good friends and often have lunch whence Stewart brings eye-candy for me in the form of Lincolns (like three copies of the 1918-S in MS65 where one is nicer than the other). While I may have a set that has a higher rating than his in some categories, as a statistician I realize that a shift in weights might reverse the order. And if duplicates were counted, no three collectors combined could match Stewart. The only thing better than Stewart’s coins are Stewart’s stories about collecting. His knowledge of Lincolns is amazing.

I also want to mention David Schweitz who has sold me several coins including several that are pop 1s, but of equal import visited me several years ago to review my entire collection. I regard him as having one of the sharpest eyes in the hobby. He advised on which coins to try for upgrades and which to replace because, in his judgment, there were better copies out there. To this day, I still consult the notes I have from that review.

As far as varieties go, John Scott was a mentor and encouraged me early on to study them and collect them because, as he said, one of these days they will be in great demand. Chris Dudzik also helped with some of the more difficult varieties. And thanks to the dozens of others who have sold me coins, or given me leads on where to find this or that.

Anyway, it has been fun and I thought I should list the set in PCGS registry categories for the 100th anniversary of the Lincoln cent. I’ll open more of the categories for viewing as I have time to review them. I don’t do scans or pictures but for a view of some of the coins I own see Shylock’s website at www.coingallery.org/.

• DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gerry, thank you for posting, and opening your set!

Doug
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thank you to everyone who has posted here and on other CU threads, and to the many others who have emailed me, about my Lincolns, The Thomas Irwin Collection. I very much appreciate the comments and want to use this forum to express that appreciation.

As several of you know, Andy Skrabalak, has been a friend and mentor on much of my collection. In addition to selling me many coins, he has been generous in offering me his unbiased opinions on many others and allowing me to compare and swap many coins that came through his inventory if I thought them better than ones I had. He is a great guy and I owe him a deep sense of gratitude.

I’ll mention a few other fellow hobbyists at the risk of later regretting that I left out a name or two. On the memorial side of the collection, I owe much of what I have to Mark Di Lauro, who, in 2000 through 2002, often offered me a pop 1 memorial every week or so. And many of them have stayed low pops if not pop 1s. When it comes to modern coins, no one is sharper than Mark.

I am honored to be mentioned in the same sentence with Stewart Blay, who I regard as one of the great coin collectors of all time. We are good friends and often have lunch whence Stewart brings eye-candy for me in the form of Lincolns (like three copies of the 1918-S in MS65 where one is nicer than the other). While I may have a set that has a higher rating than his in some categories, as a statistician I realize that a shift in weights might reverse the order. And if duplicates were counted, no three collectors combined could match Stewart. The only thing better than Stewart’s coins are Stewart’s stories about collecting. His knowledge of Lincolns is amazing.

I also want to mention David Schweitz who has sold me several coins including several that are pop 1s, but of equal import visited me several years ago to review my entire collection. I regard him as having one of the sharpest eyes in the hobby. He advised on which coins to try for upgrades and which to replace because, in his judgment, there were better copies out there. To this day, I still consult the notes I have from that review.

As far as varieties go, John Scott was a mentor and encouraged me early on to study them and collect them because, as he said, one of these days they will be in great demand. Chris Dudzik also helped with some of the more difficult varieties. And thanks to the dozens of others who have sold me coins, or given me leads on where to find this or that.

Anyway, it has been fun and I thought I should list the set in PCGS registry categories for the 100th anniversary of the Lincoln cent. I’ll open more of the categories for viewing as I have time to review them. I don’t do scans or pictures but for a view of some of the coins I own see Shylock’s website at www.coingallery.org/. >>

Gerry-

It was my pleasure helping you! Your set is truly amazing! Now if I could just make a couple 2009's in 68 for you we'd be in business! I've never seen PCGS so stingy on Lincolns as they currently are!! Amazing, amazing set you have! Chris
  • DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    Gerry, those were the days! It sure was fun making those top pops and turning them for what was top $ in those days. I owe a lot to you for helping me be able to quit my Business Consulting career to become a coin dealer. One day, Gerry had emailed me about the state quarters selling for good money, so I tried submitting them which eventually led to all of the other denominations thus growing my business from Lincoln’s alone. Gerry is easily the classiest, most intelligent and fairest collector-genius I have met
  • SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thank you to everyone who has posted here and on other CU threads, and to the many others who have emailed me, about my Lincolns, The Thomas Irwin Collection. I very much appreciate the comments and want to use this forum to express that appreciation.

Anyway, it has been fun and I thought I should list the set in PCGS registry categories for the 100th anniversary of the Lincoln cent. I’ll open more of the categories for viewing as I have time to review them. I don’t do scans or pictures but for a view of some of the coins I own see Shylock’s website at www.coingallery.org/. >>

I ran across this 2009 thread in which Gerry's Thomas Irwin Collection of Lincoln cents became #1 in the PCGS Set Registry. I thought the Lincoln cent crowd might enjoy revisiting the height of the 100 year anniversary of the Lincoln cents.
    Steveimage
  • TireKickerTireKicker Posts: 870 ✭✭

<< <i>

I ran across this 2009 thread in which Gerry's Thomas Irwin Collection of Lincoln cents became #1 in the PCGS Set Registry. I thought the Lincoln cent crowd might enjoy revisiting the height of the 100 year anniversary of the Lincoln cents.
    Steveimage >>

Thanks for reposting this Steve. Gerry has an amazing set. image What a great story and I completely agree with Gerry regarding Andy Skrabalak in the dictionary under class it says see him. If he was at the Santa Clara this weekend, I would have attempted to switch my schedule and attend.
    All the best,

Rob

Successful Trades with: Coincast, MICHAELDIXON

Successful Purchases from: Manorcourtman, Meltdown