Home U.S. Coin Forum

WILL 2009 SAE PROOFS BE A LOW MINTAGE ISSUE?

The mint is hinting that production may start soon on the collector coins.Many of us are looking forward to that.

I say that the 2009SAE s will NOT be a low mintage coin and here is my reasoning: The mint can produce and sell collector coins such as the SAE with a date of 2009 well into 2010.So they really arent limited to a set amount of these coins.
Consider what occurred recently with the lincoln cents.the mint produced 96,000 sets of LP1 cents and they sold out quickly.When the LP2 cents were available most of us believed that the number of sets available would be about the same.However the mint seeing the feeding frenzy and reading the articles available in the press,the blogs out there and probably the forums as well realized quickly that they could sell alot more sets.In fact they have sold about 224,000 sets as of today and are STILL selling them.This is an example of brilliant marketing.I dont doubt that the remaining sets will also be marketed in the same manner.If I am reading the mints figures correctly they actually minted more LP1 cents than LP2 cents so the mintage of these cents dont have a direct relationship to the number of sets for sale.
Now apply the same marketing approach to the proof collectors coins.The mint is well aware that there is a large customer base for these coins and probably considers that many of us will be buying extra proof coins in addition to what we normally purchase.They are possibly getting many collectors and investors asking the question when will these coins be available.The mint should see another bonanza coming their way with these collectors coins.I believe that the 2009 proof coins might be among the highest minted coins when the dust settles.
While I keep referring to SAE proofs the same may be said for the gold eagle proof coins as well.Some have voiced their opinion that 2009 might be a low mintage year.I believe that it may be one of the highest mintage years.

Do you agree or disagree and why?

Comments

• ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭
    The US Mint greatly reduced the number of products that it is selling.

Now being able to focus on a smaller set of products, the US Mint could produce the same number of ASEs proof and uncs as in 2008 and a larger number of AGE uncs and proofs as well as ABGs proofs.
  • 2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭
    If these are offered early enough to allow for a second run then all bets are off.

The US Mint like any business likes to make a profit.
    If they can get the blanks they will make as many ASE proofs as they can sell.
    No big mystery here...........

Several concerns.............

One concern I have is that they have likely had far more people/calls this year asking for status of ASE proofs then usual.
    It is very easy to interpert requests for info as demand.
    Also they was very strong demand for bullion ASEs earlier this year and they may think this bodes well for ASE proofs..
    Lastly strong prices for the 2008 ASE proofs may give them false perception of market value.............
    If so they may have a falsely high perception of demand and if blanks are available they may over produce ASE proofs...........

I see US Mint may offer the 1 oz. Gold Buffalo only in proof and not in an uncirculated version.
    If the divert all ASE blanks from uncirculated to proof production numbers may soar for 2009 ASE proofs...............
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kinda depends on how many they sell..............
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file