Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

PCGS LincolnProof Lableing Question

I has seen nothing in pcgs holders that are labled as ((( Bronze )))
the 2009 proofs are bronze , not copper so why is PCGS not adding bronze to the lable
as NGC is properly labling them.

or do you have to ask for them to be lable that way?

john
References

Loe-steelielee-bought 690. sale
nate-grandrapidian-bought 70. sale
Paul-commoncents-3500+ sales
Ken-jfoot-sold-125.00 sale
Mike-mozeppa-bought 1080. sale
Dave-Badger-sale 560.00
Lochness-sale 1,000. 00

Comments

• Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭
    hhhhmmm....

Sounds like Burger King or something....

I have not seen "Bronze" on the PCGS labels either.
    Maybe someone will make a reuest on their submission and be the first!
  • Options
    66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭

I'm not all up to speed on the 2009 Lincoln proofs, but I ask is it necessary to label them as 'bronze'? That is, is there a regular composition 2009 Lincoln proof cent as well as the bronze 2009 Lincoln proof cent?
  • Options
    jnd1955jnd1955 Posts: 939
    it is to my under standing that the P & D minted lincolns are reg. Zink and only the proof sets will be in bronze

john
    References

Dave-Badger-sale 560.00
    Lochness-sale 1,000. 00
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭

<< <i>it is to my under standing that the P & D minted lincolns are reg. Zink and only the proof sets will be in bronze

john >>

The P & D minted Lincolns that went into circulation as business strikes ARE the regular copper coated Zinc. The Satin Finish coins that went into all 2009 Mint Sets as well as the Proofs that are part of the 2009 Proof Sets are 95% copper and 5% zinc and tin. Steveimage
  • Options
    then were are they comming up with bronze , are they copper with bronse coating?

by the way very nice set of lincolns, i am allso working on that type set to. think i am ranked #19

john
    References

Dave-Badger-sale 560.00
    Lochness-sale 1,000. 00
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭

<< <i>then were are they comming up with bronze , are they copper with bronse coating?

by the way very nice set of lincolns, i am allso working on that type set to. think i am ranked #19

john >>

Hi John,
    The use of the word bronze as it relates to Lincoln cents comes from the fact that most of the Wheat cents contained both copper and tin. It was 95% copper and a mixture of 5% between tin and zinc which varied over time. Anyway, that combination allowed those coins to be referred to as bronze. Around 1962, I believe, the US Mint eliminated the tin from the composition of Lincoln cents and they were then 95% copper and 5% Zinc. That combination of copper and zinc is called brass and so from 1962 thru 1982 our Lincoln cents were brass cents. Then in 1982 and continuing until now, because of the high cost of copper, the amount of copper in the Lincoln cent was reduced to, I believe about 3% and was used to provide a copper overlay to a 97% zinc cent. While the term bronze cent was used, I don't believe it was used that often to require it to be used now on a label for the 2009 Satin Finish mint coins or the 2009 proof coins.
    Your proof set registry is coming along nicely. I particularly like the fact that you are collecting all areas of the series including the Matte proofs, the early Brilliant proofs and Memorial proofs and the current DCAM proofs. It is a great set to complete. Good luck. Steveimage