Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What do you think about this Russian Coin Auction?

http://cgi.ebay.com/coin-adviser-RUSSIA-1884-1-rouble-UNC-rare-year_W0QQitemZ250349089710QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a49f7f3ae&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Over priced? Right price? Reason I am asking is this. I have purchased one of these that will hoepfully grade between ms61-ms63. The coin dealer I go to gave me a GREAT deal on it and several coin enthusiast in there were already giving me offers on it. They got it from an estate lot. I also need to decide if I should send it to NGC, PCGS, or ANACS. I love the ANACS holders but I do see that NGC and PCGS do seem to carry a bit more of a premium on their coins. I sometimes feel that PCGS is too hard on world coins because they don't see the volume that NGC does...now, the NGC holders I HATE!!! Dilemma... !!! SO, is the coin over priced and where should I send mine... pics to be forthcoming when the coin returns back from grading... wherever I send it!

Comments

• Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    Just to let you guys know, I paid nothing anywhere close to this so when I saw this it kinda threw me for a loop. The older Krause that I looked in listed this coin at 300 in UNC. It had no price for BU. I also could not find many auctions or online listings for this coin in a MS61 to MS63 state. The coin is very lustrous and just bangs. I cannot WAIT to get it pictured. Again, any thoughts?
    Todd
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Todd -

Sounds like you have a nice purchase. The older Krauses are fairly worthless when it comes to Russian coins. Factor in the recent downturn in the Russian coin bubble, and prices are all over the board recently. Roubles that you could buy for $100 in 2000 were going for as much as $1500 last year, and now it seems that they are back down to $800 levels. With that said, 1884 is not a common date, so you have a nice scarce mintage piece on your hands. The link you provided seems quite overpriced - I would not expect them to get 50% of the $2200 ask price.

A slab isn't a bad idea. Many of these roubles exhibit cleanings, so that would be the biggest concern with your piece, but Russian buyers do not seem to be as concerned with cleanings as US collectors. I dont have any real bias towards TPGs, but I would suggest that a TPG that also grades problem coins such as an ANACS problem holder, NCS holder, or PCGS Genuine holder might still be a good idea in the event it IS cleaned for authenticity and resale down the road.
  • Options
    I see what you are saying. I sat in the coin shop for 3 HOURS and looked at it through a loupe to make sure I wanted to spring the cash for it.... It had no indicators on it of ever being cleaned. Lustrous shine and no AT toning. It does have a nick on the reverse and a 2 light scratches on the obverse (about the size of this - and they make a small x ) They appear to have come from another coin hitting it with it's edge. The edge lettering has no dirt in the letters and the edges have no nicks. I CANNOT WAIT to get this one back. I know the nick and scratches will hurt it but the store owner and several other coin guys in the shop put it between a 61-63. We shall see.... I will probably send it to ANACS unless someone here can give me a good reason to send it elsewhere...
    Todd
  • Options
    Well, NGC won this battle of TPGers... It is being sent there and we should know the grade within a few weeks. Oh, and for clarification, its is a 1848 not a 1884 as I had posted.... Thanks for the input!
    Todd
  • Options
    If you mean same, as in year and denomination, I concur. If you mean same, as in this is the same coin, then I'm not seeing it. The sellers pictures on ebay are horribly dark. Tried to lighten them up in photoshop but couldn't make out any distinguishing features. Either way, both look to be nice coins and the one realize a nice price in 2007. I am hoping that this will be a good investment for me. Plus this is the first coin I have ever sent off to be graded!
    Todd